FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Translators during Interviews in Tournaments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Translators during Interviews in Tournaments
    Posted: 03/11/2018 at 9:53am
Is it just me or do they need better translators for these tournaments...? Nearly every tournament I've seen, they really struggle to translate what the players say (especially the Chinese translators, but that might just be because they're usually winning so you see them more often).

I feel like the interviews would be a lot more interesting too if the translators could capture what they say better.

Is it just me? What do you guys think?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2018 at 9:56am
The Japanese interpreter interpreting for Team Japan at the Team World Cup was great.

This cutie misinterpreting lady from Team World Cup and now Qatar Open is actually funny to listen to when you speak the language. The other one from yesterday did a good job.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2018 at 9:58am
Yeah! I was going to mention the Japanese guy. He was GREAT. I saw him translate at the last main tournament.

I didn't see the translator yesterday.. but yeah. My Chinese isn't great, but it's good enough to know that things aren't going right lol. Also, even if I didn't understand, they struggle to make the sentences in English.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2018 at 12:23pm
Interpreting in real time is arguably the most difficult task in the field of translation.

To be great at it, I feel one needs to be at native-level in both languages, which is really rare in table tennis.

For now, anything is better than nothing.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2018 at 7:40pm
True. So sad for table tennis haha. I feel like there would be heaps of people native or close to native in both Chinese and English in the world... They really should pay for a translator..

Definitely better than nothing, though!!
fortunateluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortunateluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/11/2018 at 8:04pm
They should all learn to speak English and speak for themselves Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic