tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Liebherr 2018 WTTTC, April 29 to May 6.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Liebherr 2018 WTTTC, April 29 to May 6.
    Posted: 05/17/2018 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by opinari opinari wrote:

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Nobody here or anywhere is against Korean unification, end of war etc.

I perfectly understand the point of view that unification is more important than some "minor" sport question.

My POV however is that this - on its face - seems to be not much more than a piece of political theater (remember Korean unified team in 1991? remember other treaties?)

And it seems I am being proved right on that issue as well... N.Korea is gradually pulling out of all those "positive and wonderful" engagements that were promised just a few months ago.

We're all being proven right aside from those who really thought that N. Korea & the U.S. were best friends :)

This is an old pattern and even now it's still political theater.  However, I would way rather have this type of political theater (and joint table tennis teams) than having two world leaders talk about pressing nuclear "buttons".

Well, I just did not expect this to happen so soon after I wrote my post not even two weeks ago...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 5:12pm

I perfectly understand the point of view that unification is more important than some "minor" sport question.

My POV however is that this - on its face - seems to be not much more than a piece of political theater (remember Korean unified team in 1991? remember other treaties?)

And it seems I am being proved right on that issue as well... N.Korea is gradually pulling out of all those "positive and wonderful" engagements that were promised just a few months ago.

We're all being proven right aside from those who really thought that N. Korea & the U.S. were best friends :)

This is an old pattern and even now it's still political theater.  However, I would way rather have this type of political theater (and joint table tennis teams) than having two world leaders talk about pressing nuclear "buttons".

Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 4:11pm

MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2018 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Liu GuoZheng is just not as smart and charming as Liu GuoLiang.

I expect Liu GuoZheng to resign sometime in the future if the CNT meets with some trouble that he can not tackle.

I completely agree. LGZ is pathetic compared to LGL. I've seen some of his interviews. 95% of what he says is trash. It's really a shame that LGL was ousted in a power struggle. At least put Ma Lin as the new head coach, but no, Ma Lin is kicked out too bc he's too close to LGL.

or Wang Hao

No, not Wang Hao lol. 
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2018 at 2:10pm

Originally posted by assasin8 assasin8 wrote:

Next Level - I am with you on this.  I am not complaining about his enthusiasm, I was fed up with his non stop comments some of which was totally unnecessary like asking Don Parker if he has seen his Xu Xin shoes?  While I agree Adam has been good for table tennis, I get the sense he is also promoting himself.

You can not find a perfect commentator for everyone. I think Adam has been doing fine so far.  If you watched the TT show with the commentator in CCTV 5, you would love Adam instantly.
It bother me that forum user used "five pennies tactics". However, I find this is ironic. Anyway, I remember there was a England commentator is very good.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by assasin8 assasin8 wrote:

Next Level - I am with you on this.  I am not complaining about his enthusiasm, I was fed up with his non stop comments some of which was totally unnecessary like asking Don Parker if he has seen his Xu Xin shoes?  While I agree Adam has been good for table tennis, I get the sense he is also promoting himself.

You can not find a perfect commentator for everyone. I think Adam has been doing fine so far.  If you watched the TT show with the commentator in CCTV 5, you would love Adam instantly.
assasin8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assasin8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2018 at 11:08am
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2018 at 6:59am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

I expect Liu GuoZheng to resign sometime in the future if the CNT meets with some trouble that he can not tackle.

I completely agree. LGZ is pathetic compared to LGL. I've seen some of his interviews. 95% of what he says is trash. It's really a shame that LGL was ousted in a power struggle. At least put Ma Lin as the new head coach, but no, Ma Lin is kicked out too bc he's too close to LGL.

or Wang Hao
Choo-Lei
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/07/2018 at 2:56am

fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 11:56pm
I have always been on his side and admire how he caught that opportunity for himself and evolved into a new difficult role where ingratitude is often the only reward); I did not see what created that thread but I trust enough people here who were annoyed to undertand he was really unaware. He is a smart person and has a passion, no doubt he'll fix it and this thread will surely be useful to him, thread where I like the balance of all posts together and the final message: "you are a pro for good now so act like it." It's a fair message and after all, we are the customers.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Odie Odie wrote:

I think Bobrow too often crosses the line between being an effective commentator and sounding like a tool. Yesterday was historically poor.  And this assumption that he brings 500 casual fans to the game for every 10 he pisses off is just nonsense. What evidence is there of this?

Even so, there is no way in hell I could do what he does.   So I admire his passion, but I just try to ignore his schtick.

Someone who follows his Instagram said he was on for 8hrs without a break. That's likely the proximate cause of the historically poor output.

Unfortunately, some people can't read the specific complaint and think I am generally complaining about Bobrow. And as someone who follows a lot of sports, many of which I do not play, I dont find enthusiasm as a causal viewer from someone who is making inside jokes I cannot follow. I dont complain about Adam's enthusiasm, I complain about his rambling. When it gets excessive, it's really offputting if he doesn't center it on the match pretty fast
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Tibhar Inca
FH: MX-S 1.9 B
BH: MX-S 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
Odie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 9:40pm
I think Bobrow too often crosses the line between being an effective commentator and sounding like a tool. Yesterday was historically poor.  And this assumption that he brings 500 casual fans to the game for every 10 he pisses off is just nonsense. What evidence is there of this?

Even so, there is no way in hell I could do what he does.   So I admire his passion, but I just try to ignore his schtick.
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by RPB23 RPB23 wrote:

I did watch the whole final match with his commenting.

Not sure which section of his commenting really annoyed you. If it was during XX vs. PF match, especially when XX executed the around the net highlight shot, I didn't find that annoying. A shot like that, deserves to be excited, even to the degree of being carried away. As you probably know, XX is Adam's favorite player. He just adores XX.

One thing you may not realize is Adam genuinely loves TT with a passion. His love and passion to the sport may be a lot stronger than mine and yours, which shows in his commenting.

The only thing I hope he can improve is sometimes he is a little carried away with his non-direct TT color stuff commenting(gossip?) while the play is going on. I believe as his commenting career adds more mileage, he will only get better.  

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Think it this way: if his commenting style annoys 10 die-hard TT fans like you, it probably will bring 500 casual fans to the game. For the sake of TT as a sport, it's all worth it. So, he is absolutely good for the sport.

ITTF and most TT fans are lucky to have such a colorful and enthusiastic commentator to grace the screens for the games. If sometimes he overdoes it, so be it. Overall, his positive impact to the game is far, far outweigh the negatives.  

Originally posted by fortunateluck fortunateluck wrote:

Adam is absolutely awesome for Table Tennis. He has great knowledge about the sport, players and their playing styles, their history and above all, his enthusiasm is infectious.
He also has great voice qualities, so much that when I see him, I feel like he should be better lookingBig smile

I am usually a fan of Bobrow but yesterday he crossed some threshold in my head that now leaves the mere sound of him joking extremely annoying to me. He is good for the sport but without some balance he might start turning off some viewers.   There has to be a better balance when working with someone who is as insightful as Don Parker is.

I hope you are right.  I agree that his positive impact to the game far outweighs the negatives.  I might also be out of touch with who his commentary reaches.  But Yesterday was the first time I have ever wanted Bobrow to shut up.  And it was the first time that I heard many people who usually like his commentary complain about it.  So I hope you are making your statements as someone who watched him yesterday, not just responding to the general complaints vs Bobrow.

It was like he talked about everything but TT and when he spoke about TT, he didn't want to make sense.  Let's just say he has had better days.  Maybe it was doing too much commentary that week that made him bored.

Give Adam a break, he's already the best English speaking commentator that we've had in recent years. He's way better than the previous ITTF color commentator who knew nothing about table tennis (people should know who I'm talking about haha). His excitement and passion for the game is exactly what we need for table tennis, not to mention his other efforts such as player interviews, social media, etc... 

Well said. Thumbs Up
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Personally I liked Adam's commentating this time, too.

I agree with RPB23. I suspect his style will appeal a lot to the more casual viewer base, which is great for getting more people into the sport.

The only mistake (at least I think it was a mistake) that caught my attention was when he was overruling the translator after Xu Xin's game. I'm pretty sure Xu Xin meant his left hand (not his backhand). I believe he was implying it's not the most capable compared to say Ma Long and Fan Zhendong, but he has the most creativity with it.

XX's backhand around net shot impressed him too much. :)

BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 8:16pm
Personally I liked Adam's commentating this time, too.

I agree with RPB23. I suspect his style will appeal a lot to the more casual viewer base, which is great for getting more people into the sport.

The only mistake (at least I think it was a mistake) that caught my attention was when he was overruling the translator after Xu Xin's game. I'm pretty sure Xu Xin meant his left hand (not his backhand). I believe he was implying it's not the most capable compared to say Ma Long and Fan Zhendong, but he has the most creativity with it.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 8:16pm

Not sure which section of his commenting really annoyed you. If it was during XX vs. PF match, especially when XX executed the around the net highlight shot, I didn't find that annoying. A shot like that, deserves to be excited, even to the degree of being carried away. As you probably know, XX is Adam's favorite player. He just adores XX.

One thing you may not realize is Adam genuinely loves TT with a passion. His love and passion to the sport may be a lot stronger than mine and yours, which shows in his commenting.

The only thing I hope he can improve is sometimes he is a little carried away with his non-direct TT color stuff commenting(gossip?) while the play is going on. I believe as his commenting career adds more mileage, he will only get better.  

Think it this way: if his commenting style annoys 10 die-hard TT fans like you, it probably will bring 500 casual fans to the game. For the sake of TT as a sport, it's all worth it. So, he is absolutely good for the sport.

ITTF and most TT fans are lucky to have such a colorful and enthusiastic commentator to grace the screens for the games. If sometimes he overdoes it, so be it. Overall, his positive impact to the game is far, far outweigh the negatives.  

Adam is absolutely awesome for Table Tennis. He has great knowledge about the sport, players and their playing styles, their history and above all, his enthusiasm is infectious.
He also has great voice qualities, so much that when I see him, I feel like he should be better lookingBig smile

I am usually a fan of Bobrow but yesterday he crossed some threshold in my head that now leaves the mere sound of him joking extremely annoying to me. He is good for the sport but without some balance he might start turning off some viewers.   There has to be a better balance when working with someone who is as insightful as Don Parker is.

I hope you are right.  I agree that his positive impact to the game far outweighs the negatives.  I might also be out of touch with who his commentary reaches.  But Yesterday was the first time I have ever wanted Bobrow to shut up.  And it was the first time that I heard many people who usually like his commentary complain about it.  So I hope you are making your statements as someone who watched him yesterday, not just responding to the general complaints vs Bobrow.

It was like he talked about everything but TT and when he spoke about TT, he didn't want to make sense.  Let's just say he has had better days.  Maybe it was doing too much commentary that week that made him bored.

Give Adam a break, he's already the best English speaking commentator that we've had in recent years. He's way better than the previous ITTF color commentator who knew nothing about table tennis (people should know who I'm talking about haha). His excitement and passion for the game is exactly what we need for table tennis, not to mention his other efforts such as player interviews, social media, etc... 
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
RPB23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPB23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 7:38pm
It is rare for a CNT player decline coach's TO request. In this case, XX was probably frustrated that PF would give him so much trouble and wanted to show he could overcome it without coach's help.

Interestingly, two points later, German called TO for him anyway and he edged out PF for the game. In the third game when PF really needed a TO to reset, too bad, the TO was already used and German's fate was sealed. 

It appeared the new coach doesn't enjoy the same amount of respect as old one did. It is quite understandable if you compare the personal credentials of the two. Plus, the old one is a lot charming and with strong lure of a alpha male.

But, frankly, even someone like me can be a winning coach of CNT if you have ML, FZD and XX under my disposal. The odds of beating 3 top level players with different styles in the same team competition is so small.  

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

3) Finally, XX vs Franziska was the most interesting match, see my first line... alas, that didn't happen.

in this match was something unusual. chinese coach wanted to take time out but XX refused and keep playing

in other match between games coach was talking to ML but was looks like ML doesn't care about and even doesn't listen to the coach.

it looks like chinese players doesn't respect much this coach and don't care about him ... totally different then it was with LG
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

If Germany wins matches 3 & 4 they have a chance.

I know the Nobel prize in literature is postponed until next year, but this post has everything. Factual, understated, yet prescient all in a few words.

"Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away"
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

RPB23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPB23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 7:08pm

kindof99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 6:55pm

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 6:31pm

3) Finally, XX vs Franziska was the most interesting match, see my first line... alas, that didn't happen.

in this match was something unusual. chinese coach wanted to take time out but XX refused and keep playing

in other match between games coach was talking to ML but was looks like ML doesn't care about and even doesn't listen to the coach.

it looks like chinese players doesn't respect much this coach and don't care about him ... totally different then it was with LG
Choo-Lei
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 6:19pm

Edited by NextLevel - 05/06/2018 at 6:23pm
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 6:16pm
At some point I hoped that Franziska could defeat XX. That would at least add some interest to the final. All three matches were good but

1) FZD vs Filus - not what anyone could hope for. FZD just utterly destroyed Ruwen. Not sure what happens here, but it looked as if FZD at some point just switched to another gear in his head and muscles.

2) Ma Long vs Timo. Yes, Timo beat him last year, but this time ML gave him absolutely no chance. Not a lot of interesting points either

I guess Germany was a bit down after it became obvious Dima was out. And China was at the top of their mental form - that's what everyone needs to learn from them (in addition to working hard) - is how to peak at just the right moment; or perhaps how to motivate the team.

I thought women's final would be much more one-sided affair than the men's but I was wrong. Women's final could even conceivably go 0-2 for China - if Hirano got a bit lucky just a couple of times vs DN. In men's final there was no question this was a slaughter. The only time there was a tiny doubt was in the second set of XX-PF match but when XX won that one, all the German hopes ended there and then.
RPB23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPB23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 6:02pm

RPB23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RPB23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 5:50pm
Also, there are seldom easy errors in the top level. The pressure, the deception, the surprise and the high quality of the serves largely contribute to the return error.

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Originally posted by danseemiller danseemiller wrote:

Do the Chinese bench have to stand up and cheer for easy errors by Timo every time?
I can see after good rallies and certain 

Team spirit. Nothing wrong with that.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 1:47pm
Adam is second to none.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 12:38pm

Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
fortunateluck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fortunateluck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 12:23pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 11:56am
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

I admit if I take anything from this tournament, it's Ito Mima beating LSW, which is truly impressive.

Yeah, she will tell her grand children she managed to defeat the speed queen once in her career.

Time will tell but right now, you are 100% correct.
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2018 at 11:41am

I admit if I take anything from this tournament, it's Ito Mima beating LSW, which is truly impressive.

Yeah, she will tell her grand children she managed to defeat the speed queen once in her career.
Victas matsushita off, Fastarc G-1 max, S § T Hellfire 1mm, Japsko Glued
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic