Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speed Gluers??????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dunck_27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunck_27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed Gluers??????
    Posted: 10/02/2006 at 10:50pm
Do you guys put normal glue on before you speed glue?
Sponsored Links

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2006 at 12:14am
Sometimes it's good to use "normal" glue like Butterfly Clean Chack or Basic Chack on the blade and use speed glue on the rubber. This technique allows you to still be able to keep the edges of the rubber from curling up on the sides while adding a greater amount of speed glue to the rubber. Rubber that has been given a generous amount of speed glue will dome up quite a lot and it is sometime hard to get a good flush seal between the rubber and the blade. (It's good to have a Yasaka Clicky Press too)
Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2006 at 7:24am
When I glue new rubbers I put regular glue on the blade and speed glue on the sponge. After that I only use speedglue.
The holy grail
metkar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metkar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2006 at 3:17pm

I've recently become aware of a new way to use glue, as it is recommended by  Stiga in Sweden. It is very important that the sponge is filled with glue, as this gives you the glue effect. That means that you have to use a thicker glue on new sheets and then add speed glue. This applies for every time you need to glue. Begin with a thin lair of a thicker glue and then add speed glue.

And as an extra information I can tell that a couple of lairs of glue will help sheets with a thin sponge to glue better. I play with 0.6 mm sponge on my pips on the backhand and I've often experienced that they keep getting loose around the edge very soon after I've put them on. And it's not really that strange. If you put a finger on the sponge after the first lair of glue it's all dry and not sticky at all. It takes 2-3 lairs before the sponge is soaked up with glue and then they won't get loose around the edge. And as an additional effect, it seems to me that the sheet gets softer with more control after 2-3 lairs of glue.

Stiga Legend Allround
Desto F3 2,0
Octopuss 1,1
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2006 at 3:36pm

As normal glue is both thicker and less expensive than speed glue, I use three layers of normal glue on a new sheet of rubber and let it sit overnight before I start to speed glue a new sheet of rubber. 

That way I get good adhesion and speedglue effect from the first time I glue.  I also don't waste speed glue getting enough glue solids into the sponge.  There needs to be a certain amount of solids built up in the sponge for the solvent in the speedglue to act on.

I also use regular glue on the blade and speed glue on the rubber itself.

-- Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic