Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Soft or Hard sponge short pimples?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft or Hard sponge short pimples?
    Posted: 03/17/2018 at 3:47pm
what are the differneces in soft and hard sponged short pimples? Is it as relevant as inverted? Does it make less difference with thinner sponge?

Any advice short pimps gurus?
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Sponsored Links

TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2018 at 4:57pm
I´ve played a long time with SP, both soft and hard ones.
In my opinion, soft (tension) sponges are better to attack, since they generate catapult effect. Spin is also easier to apply with a soft-sponged SP. The negative point is they act much like an inverted rubber, so opponents play without problems.
Hard sponges I found better/easier to block and placement. They also invert spin easier than soft sponges. This make my opponents have a hard time against my blocks. In the other hand, attacks need a precise ball contact.
I never tested enough thinner sponges SP to have a formed opinion.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 10:51pm
I previously played short pimples on forehand for 4 years. Soft sponge does generate a greater catapult effect, but I wouldn't necessarily say its easier to attack. I found hard sponge short pimple were better at hitting through all types of spin. It was more about timing and less about reading spin. The balls were also more difficult for opponents to return when I was playing with hard sponge sp. With soft sponge short pimple you need to focus harder on reading the type and amount of incoming spin.
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 6:06pm
Hard sponge make it easier to hit through spin, but soft sponge give you more control, and spin. It’s all depends on your level, and the level of your opponent, what give you more chance to win the point.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 8:48pm
What blade do u want to pair it with?
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 8:51pm
at the moment infinity of stratus, probably stratus
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic