Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Stiga Genesis S Upgrade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stiga Genesis S Upgrade?
    Posted: 03/20/2018 at 10:15pm
I've been using Genesis S for about a month or so. Overall, I like it. Good spin, good control, nice feel. It is just so slow. You really have to use your whole body and excellent technique to finish the points. It's just so tiring and exhausting for me to play with that rubber. Does anyone have any suggestions for a similar rubber that might be a notch up in speed/power? Should I try boosting it? I've consider trying one of the H3 variations, but which one? Honestly, I'd rather not fool around with boosting. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much.

*Note, I already tried Genesis M. It was a little faster, but it seemed to have less spin capability.

Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Sponsored Links

LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/20/2018 at 11:54pm
I had the opposite experience. I played with Genesis M for some time and liked it a lot. I tried Genesis S and felt like it was significantly less spinny, and slower.
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 3:15am
Also none of the H3 variants will provide you any free speed.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 8:29am
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

I had the opposite experience. I played with Genesis M for some time and liked it a lot. I tried Genesis S and felt like it was significantly less spinny, and slower.

What did you switch to after the Genesis M? Why did you switch? I'm also thinking about going a completely different route and just putting Rozena on both sides or maybe one of the Tenergy variations. Maybe I'll give the Genesis M another go before buying something new. I only hit with M briefly. My coach gave it to me to try a few weeks ago, but then I got sick with the flu. Honestly, I'm winning more since I put Genesis S on instead of Calibra, but I can only play like half as many matches because it takes so much effort to hit quality shots with S.
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 9:23am
Have you thought about Mantra M?  Very good spin and speed but has good control I feel for a medium-hard rubber. The top sheet is part synthetic rubber and part natural rubber. It keeps it's grip very well.
I have it on an OSP Virtuoso and it provides all the speed I need.
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 10:50am
I was wanting a bit more speed like you. I used Mantra for a bit after Genesis. It was faster but not quite as spinny. For now I’m using Fastarc G-1. Have you tried it? Spin is similar to Genesis, but the sponge is harder. Maybe Fastarc S-1 would work for you.
drclaude1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drclaude1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 10:54am
Try one of the Rakzas. 7 is my favorite since its the best one for over the table but still plenty fast. Brush looping is almost as good as Chinese rubbers, but no boosting needed for speed.
Carbonado 290

Rakza7
Rakza7
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 3:25pm
I don't really have an answer for you but I also experienced that Genesis M was both spinnier and faster than the S version. I currently use Mantra H b/c I split a but 3 get 1 free deal with a friend. I found it slightly bouncier, easier to loop with forehand, slightly tougher to loop with backhand. 
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
Chicobo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chicobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 3:25pm
[Internet problem double post]

Edited by Chicobo - 03/21/2018 at 3:26pm
Stiga Genesis x2 on Nexy Rubicon
Galaxy Moon/Air Illumina Alpha on Andro Temper Tech Off-
USATT 1620...Learning to play vs long pips
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 8:46pm
If u want sticky rubber u need to boost
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2018 at 10:13pm
I gave the Genesis M another go today during my training session. You guys are correct. It is significantly faster and more spin than S. The trajectory has much more arch than S. It also still maintains a lot of the characteristics from S that I liked. I will give it another go during club play this evening.
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2018 at 1:14am
Butterfly Tackifire drive
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2018 at 11:09am
eric, I used my M on the FH yesterday (on a 290) and it had plenty of power, speed and spin.   you said the S enable you to win more - isn't that the goal?  As for being more tired with the rubber, isn't that good as well? as you are getting more exercise - unless that is not one of your goals.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2018 at 8:56pm
I would say that unboosted S is better for the developing player or someone with an extremely fast blade.   My level is around usatt2000 these days, if not higher. You are correct about the M. I've tried it for two sessions now it is a very powerful rubber. I will stick with them m for now.

You are also correct that more exercise is better. Also, that rubber would be better for developing strength and fitness. However, I usually play 6 or 7 days a week 3-4 hours a day. I just can't maintain the energy I would need to play with S for that amount of time, especially in this Saigon heat l. The clubs over here don't have air conditioning. :(
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2018 at 9:09pm
no aircon in the heat would suck for most people.  didn't realise you trained so much and under such conditionsShocked
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 5:29am
I've moved from Gen M to S due to the better dwell.
When I'm tired, the difference is noticeable, I make fewer mistakes with S.

As for power, at USATT2000 or so, I don't think there's going to be much of a difference
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 8:28am
I'm noticing a huge difference in power and also spin. Maybe S doesn't pair well with my blade? M feels much more dynamic. Even my coach agreed. I also think that as my level increases, I notice more of the subtle differences when changing equipment.

Edited by ericd937 - 03/23/2018 at 8:32am
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/23/2018 at 11:42pm
Let us wait for genesis ii this year.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic