Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

From Viscaria to Nittaku Acoustic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Leftstudio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leftstudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: From Viscaria to Nittaku Acoustic
    Posted: 04/05/2018 at 1:53am
I am a 2000 USATT rating player and I play 3,4 times a week. I started playing for almost a year (I learnt how to play in 1992 with hardbat for a few months and stopped until last March, when I decided to do something positive with my life).

Until last year I had no idea about rubbers, blades - I thought all rubbers and blades are the same (no kidding). I made a mistake buying Sardius with Tenergy 64 on both sides, it's way too fast for me. After a few months I switched to Viscaria after trying my friend's and stick with it for another few months. Then I started trying different rubbers, Tenergy, Xiom, Gold Arc, Yasaka and finally settled down with Hurricanes on forehand and Tenergy on backhand. 

Then my friend told me to try Nittaku Acoustic and let me tell you, I am glad I did. The Acoustic comes with the small handle but I don't mind as I have small hand. The Acoustic has that nice feel when it comes to control and ball placement, not to mention its speed when I do topspin. My setup is Hurricane H3 Blue sponge for forehand and Tenergy 05 for backhand, both boosted with Falco. 

After playing with the Acoustic, I came back to try the Viscaria (same rubbers, different blade). I can see immediately the difference in speed, control and more importantly the feel. Acoustic has way better feel when looping but Viscaria is somehow better when it comes to backhand (someone said Viscaria is the blade for backhand?).

One downside to the Acoustic is the wood is very easy to have splinter - it is the second time I put a new rubber on and I already have splinter. Should have requested blade sealing when I ordered, but oh well.

Conclusion: I think the Acoustic has more power when it comes to top spin, especially when playing off the table comparing to the Viscaria. 
If you have switched or tried two blades, please feel free to share your experiences. Cheers!
-LS

Edited by Leftstudio - 04/05/2018 at 2:10am
No signature required
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2018 at 1:59am
Sorry, not really related to your post, but I just wanted to say well done on getting to a ~2000 level after only a year. I also play at least 3 days a week and after a few years, I'm probably at best 1800.

Thanks for your review. One of my friends got an Acoustic recently, but he prefers his Hurricane Hao still.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftstudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2018 at 2:06am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Sorry, not really related to your post, but I just wanted to say well done on getting to a ~2000 level after only a year. I also play at least 3 days a week and after a few years, I'm probably at best 1800.

Thanks for your review. One of my friends got an Acoustic recently, but he prefers his Hurricane Hao still.

I think because I was a kid when I started practicing - I got that muscle memory which somehow still stays with me regardless the huge gap 1992 - 2017!
No signature required
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2018 at 6:43am
The Acoustic (and violin) are well known for having really good feel... I was impressed too when I tried them. For some players that feel and control is more important than anything.
Yes definitely get them sealed...even if it's used already, if you can clean the surface well, sealing still helps.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 1:32pm
I recently moved from carbon (Viscaria) to Acoustic (L-size handle, 90g). I bought 4, I'll keep 2.

Until recently, my opinion was that Acoustic was too slow to use with plastic ball. But this opinion has flipped 180 degrees after the introduction of the new, ultramax, uber-fast rubbers (Joola Rhyzer 48, Xiom Omega 7 Pro, Tibhar Aurus Prime and Donic Bluestorm Z1). Sure, some changes in shot preferences shall be automatically made by the player after getting accustomed to returning to all-wood but that is OK. Moreover, one has to get used to the slightly hollow feel in all-wood blades (which isn't a big deal).

The best combo, IMHO, is to choose the max available thickness in the above rubbers with Acoustic - this way, you get max speed, max spin (ultramax sponge on a all-wood blade that is known for spin) & great feel.

I think that the feel & placement ability in the short game, itself, is worth about 0.9 - 1 pt per game.

So, I have experimented these rubbers with Acoustic with great success. Everyone has different preferences for the rubber they like. 

For me, Aurus Prime (in both max and 2.1 thickness) is amazing on backhand on the acoustic - very powerful and spinny. On FH, it depends on your stroke - all these rubbers are a bit different. But they all feel much better on all-wood than on carbon blades.
mhcvx90av View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhcvx90av Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 3:08am
I used MXP and Rakza7 Soft with boosted on Viscaria for the first time 5-6 months
ago. At the moment I am using Rakza7 anda Saturn Pro on Acoustic Inner Carbon LG. I think one of these two blades can be compared according to your own style of play. Viscaria went a lot better because I played mainly backhand. Viscaria's feeling seemed to be softer velvety. This also gives you extra control and a more effective game. The Acoustic to I play right now is very good but it feels a bit hard. It's strong and spiny, but not as comfortable as Viscaria when playing. If you have a style of play that is predominantly backhand,
Viscaria is definitely more effective.
Viscaria
T05FX
Saturn Pro S
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I recently moved from carbon (Viscaria) to Acoustic (L-size handle, 90g). I bought 4, I'll keep 2.

Until recently, my opinion was that Acoustic was too slow to use with plastic ball. But this opinion has flipped 180 degrees after the introduction of the new, ultramax, uber-fast rubbers (Joola Rhyzer 48, Xiom Omega 7 Pro, Tibhar Aurus Prime and Donic Bluestorm Z1). Sure, some changes in shot preferences shall be automatically made by the player after getting accustomed to returning to all-wood but that is OK. Moreover, one has to get used to the slightly hollow feel in all-wood blades (which isn't a big deal).

The best combo, IMHO, is to choose the max available thickness in the above rubbers with Acoustic - this way, you get max speed, max spin (ultramax sponge on a all-wood blade that is known for spin) & great feel.

I think that the feel & placement ability in the short game, itself, is worth about 0.9 - 1 pt per game.

So, I have experimented these rubbers with Acoustic with great success. Everyone has different preferences for the rubber they like. 

For me, Aurus Prime (in both max and 2.1 thickness) is amazing on backhand on the acoustic - very powerful and spinny. On FH, it depends on your stroke - all these rubbers are a bit different. But they all feel much better on all-wood than on carbon blades.

How is the Accoustic compared to the soulspin roots 3? Still think the roots 3 is the best 5-ply all wood blade?
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

How is the Accoustic compared to the soulspin roots 3? Still think the roots 3 is the best 5-ply all wood blade?

Good question. With the older gen rubbers, I preferred Soulspin (as it is more solid & bouncy).

The newer generation rubbers (thin topsheet and 'ultramax' sponge) offer more grip, dwell & spin with the plastic ball. Moreover, they offer more of that old speed glue effect (with the thicker sponge).

With these new-gen rubbers (namely, the Rhyzer 48, Bluestorm Z1, Aurus Prime and Omega 7 Pro), I clearly prefer Acoustic - a much better match. 
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by wanchope wanchope wrote:

Good question. With the older gen rubbers, I preferred Soulspin (as it is more solid & bouncy).

The newer generation rubbers (thin topsheet and 'ultramax' sponge) offer more grip, dwell & spin with the plastic ball. Moreover, they offer more of that old speed glue effect (with the thicker sponge).

With these new-gen rubbers (namely, the Rhyzer 48, Bluestorm Z1, Aurus Prime and Omega 7 Pro), I clearly prefer Acoustic - a much better match. 

Have to object that new gen rubbers don't necessarily offer more grip and in some frequent cases, less spin. More dwell and control, yes

Just to let others know!
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 5:18pm
If you say acoustic has more power of the table either your viscaria is super light or fake, Viscaria with Tenergy is a hell much faster then acoustic with same rubbers.
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 6:03pm
I use T05 both sides with my Roots 3. Roots 3 reminds me of playing with a single ply as mine is a bit over 7.0mm.
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 11:27pm
One year to reach 2000.... I must be wasting my money and time
EJ-turned blade collector
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 12:59am
my bh worked better when i switched from all wood to carbon .... fh is another story

Edited by bars - 06/15/2018 at 12:59am
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 1:15am
Originally posted by lineup32 lineup32 wrote:

I use T05 both sides with my Roots 3. Roots 3 reminds me of playing with a single ply as mine is a bit over 7.0mm.

I heard they use potato tree roots for making that blade?
wanchope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanchope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

It's the roots 3 blade by soulspin...
Barwell fleet, Omega 7 Pro & Fastarc S1
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Only from organic root stock in Ireland and grown in near high technology vacuum chambers at an undisclosed location.....

Edited by lineup32 - 06/15/2018 at 2:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftstudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by photino photino wrote:

One year to reach 2000.... I must be wasting my money and time

I am not a fast player - it took me a while to learn Wink
No signature required

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leftstudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by taczkid taczkid wrote:

If you say acoustic has more power of the table either your viscaria is super light or fake, Viscaria with Tenergy is a hell much faster then acoustic with same rubbers.

My Viscaria is 83g - it's pretty light and hollow.
No signature required
marcosgg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcosgg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2021 at 1:07pm
I know many blades, in fact I buy and sell, so many woods have passed through my hands, some of which have magic (Donic WWC89 off, Tibhar Stratus, Tibhar Force, Viscaria (90gr), all Nittaku ones (violin, acoustic, with or without carbon, etc.)); but this is the best, it is simply perfect ... unless you are an international level player and you need something more reactive like the Viscaria, if you are an amateur player based on control and loop, you have to play with this (or with the Tibhar Force pro or Stratus): they are the most flexible, controllable, precise woods with the greatest feeling that can exist, there is nothing better. The Large handle version is perfect, the weight of 90gr is perfect, you can put heavy rubbers (my blade weighed 200gr). I'm using black Victas Triple Double Extra (a heavy, china, blue sponge rubber, much like a boosted h3), and red Rakza Z on the backhand.

With this blade I have put on the table balls that I never got, unexpectedly good blocks, tops with a lot of spin, magic hits really, that I never expected to hit. Serve returns cost me a lot less.

It is the first wood that rivals the Viscaria in what I need ... the previous ones, very good, like the Tibhar Force, suffered from something: lack of power, or something that kept me away from the idea of ​​using them .. This one has it all.

I think that, to top, it is 10% better than the Viscaria, but it has maybe 10 or 20% less power; beyond this, for everything else, acoustic is better for my modest technique.

Compared to the acoustic with internal or external carbon, the latter feel stiffer and more dead ... I'll stick with one with internal carbon just in case the problem is the rubbers it has ... but in the end the acoustic without carbon I think will be the best for me.

Edited by marcosgg - 05/22/2021 at 1:09pm
https://tenisdemesajunin.wordpress.com/
Brahms View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brahms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2021 at 9:38am
Just a quick question. 
The blade isn't too slow with the poly ball ? 
Brahms
Blade : Aero off+ soft carbon

FH : Tuttle 888 Extraterrestrial 2.2mm
BH : Dr Neubauer Killer Pro 1.8mm
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2021 at 11:42am
Acoustic fits from any intermediate/advanced to pro level player in the same say that Innerforce/Korbel does. Why it doesn't fit you?

Edited by jonyer1980 - 05/29/2021 at 6:05pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2021 at 7:19am

Who knew this forum would advance my understanding of biology?  I never knew tree roots were wood.

Thanks.
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
chintanmashroo View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chintanmashroo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 10:03am
I currently play with a Viscaria FL (92g) with H3Neo BlueSponge FH and Omega VII Euro/Rakza 7 BH

Previously, I used an acoustic which I sold away because of discomfort in the handle. There are 3 downsides of Acoustic from my opinion:
1 - Slow speed from far table
2 - Bouncy
3 - Normal handle is small and LG handle is too big

I had moved from Acoustic to a DHS 506 (Long 3 national) and that is still my back-up blade. It does everything and is the best all-wood blade I've tried. If you are not so concerned about the price, you might get it in 350-400 USD.

Good Luck and Cheers
Basquests View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 11:19am
Originally posted by chintanmashroo chintanmashroo wrote:

I currently play with a Viscaria FL (92g) with H3Neo BlueSponge FH and Omega VII Euro/Rakza 7 BH

Previously, I used an acoustic which I sold away because of discomfort in the handle. There are 3 downsides of Acoustic from my opinion:
2 - Bouncy

I had moved from Acoustic to a DHS 506 (Long 3 national) and that is still my back-up blade. It does everything and is the best all-wood blade I've tried. If you are not so concerned about the price, you might get it in 350-400 USD.

Good Luck and Cheers

You could sand a handle, or use grip tape to make the handle bigger/smaller, too. If the blade is good, no problem making small alterations rather than throwing it out or not using something you like.

There are 3 versions of the acoustic that have some amount of carbon in them, which are all going to be a bit faster than all wood acoustic, to some extent.

As someone with hyperhydrosis, grip tape [i use tourna grip] is amazing. Allows me to feel the ball, because there isn't too much sweat preventing contact, although towels / wristbands are still necessary.

It's a fantastic blade, very happy with my several acoustics, since my first 12 years ago.
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 11:25am

2 - Bouncy

It seems that Nittaku released a new version of Acoustic with handle size between their normal and LG.
It is called Nittaku Acoustic SG Special.

Reference:

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by shinshiro shinshiro wrote:

2 - Bouncy

It seems that Nittaku released a new version of Acoustic with handle size between their normal and LG.
It is called Nittaku Acoustic SG Special.

Reference:

that is a sign of a good company, complying with the needs of all types of customers.
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2021 at 12:05pm
The large handle is not just large, but also in the shape of hexagon, which is different from most handles.
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2021 at 9:33pm
It is actually true that bigger handle is not always better.

I love Acoustic feel (Violin is even better), but hate the thin handle.   However when I got the LG handle, it just didn't feel the same.   It is bigger, yes, but it just did not feel right in my hand.  It is like holding a chair leg... LOL

I currently tested my old Acoustic again (just to see if it still suitable for the big plastic ball), and I find that the design of the original handle (although small and not comfy at first) is actually what accentuate the great feeling of Acoustic.   When you change it, it just does not feel right.

Of course, it is very subjective here.   And in general, I like bigger handle.  But Acoustic might be the exception due to the superb feel.

Edited by doraemon - 06/07/2021 at 10:23pm
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
alas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2021 at 4:23pm
From a control and feel perspective the Acoustic definitely shines. I’ve since then switched to Hurricane Hao 2, but I am curious to try my acoustic again to see if it’s still a viable option for my game. 

Thinking back when I used Acoustic as my main blade- whenever I got caught far from the table I was mostly always able to work myself back into an offensive position from great control and spin- which I still struggle with now on HH2 if caught in a similar position. 

With that said- from an attacking perspective far from the table, HH2 is much more threatening in my opinion. 
-Eric
Nittaku Acoustic (Ch.Pen)
DHS Skyline TG-2 NEO
DHS Skyline 3-60
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic