Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gold Arc 3 vs 5 vs 8???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
thelooper12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelooper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gold Arc 3 vs 5 vs 8???
    Posted: 04/08/2018 at 10:18am

Hi guys,

Which rubber would be best on FH and BH?

The blade that I'll be using is the DHS Fang Bo B2 - Carbon. I'm currently rocking Tibhar MX-Ps both sides on a Viscaria.

Also, regarding the hardness of the GA8 sponge, is 47 degrees better or 50 degrees better? (note I haven't purchased the rubbers yet).

How does the 47/50 sponge hardness of the Gold Arc 8 compares to the Evo MX-P/MX-S in Max?

Thanks
Sponsored Links

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/08/2018 at 1:38pm
I've played GA3 a few years ago on my BH. It was said to be a controlled T64. It was a quite expensive rubber but durable and really balanced rubber.
Unfortunately I haven't tried gold either 5 nor GA8, but according to the reviews GA5 is more allround Rubber (42.5°/47.5°) and GA8 is for more offensive oriented up to 50°.

I'm also tempted to try them since im a MX-P FXS use but these are quite cheaper than last gen rubber. I absolutely discard any Tenergy at 60€

Edited by jonyer1980 - 04/08/2018 at 2:52pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
JediJesseS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JediJesseS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 2:21pm
The GA5 is much more linear. GA8 has a lot of catapult, more like MX-P.

I ended up liking the GA5 because I've only been playing a couple years and the GA8 had too much speed and unpredictability for me. They are both amazing rubbers and last forever, very durable. I'm surprised they haven't caught on more. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 6:20pm
Which versions did you tried?

I think GA8 will be something like M1/MXP and GA5 something a tad softer like M2/ELP
I guess ill give them a try since you can get 3xrubbers at a Tenergy price
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Bobpuls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobpuls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2018 at 1:16pm
GOLD ARC 5 FALLS DOWN SIGNIFICANTLY (ON PASSIVE SHOTS ... LIKE ON H3 OR TG2 ).... I RATHER Recommended YOU TO USE GOLDARC 8 
Custom carbon/aramid off FH DHS H8 BH DHS TG 3-60
Custom carbon off++ FH DHS TG2 BS BH DHS TG3-60 National

unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2018 at 4:22pm
For me GA 8 ( 47.5 degrees and medium sponge thickness ) is similar to MX-P in many areas, it's a bit slower and less spiny than MX-P but has better control and gives good confidence in both short game and rallies. It's much more durable than MX-P and that's the main reason why I've switched over to it since the past 6 months or so. Do keep in mind that this rubber suits a spin oriented player and has a low arc.

I've been meaning to give the 47.5 degrees with max thickness or the 50 degrees a try to see if they give more speed or spin but reluctant to change as this current rubber suits my game so well. So you should give 47.5 degrees in medium sponge a try first if you are worried about too much speed/spin, it's a very good choice IMO, better than GA 5 or GA 3.

Edited by unstopabl3 - 04/10/2018 at 4:25pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/10/2018 at 8:55pm
I´m using GA8 50° Max and I believe it´s the best inverted for D40+ ball I´ve tried so far.
It gives a very controlled but offensive game. Catapult effect and throw angle are just perfect in my opinion, resulting in a friendly rubber to play with since it´s very forgiving. Not a crazy fast uncontrolled rubber like some Donic´s and Xiom´s.
Tried first in FH but changed to BH, it´s suitable for both sides.
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 12:14am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I´m using GA8 50° Max and I believe it´s the best inverted for D40+ ball I´ve tried so far.
It gives a very controlled but offensive game. Catapult effect and throw angle are just perfect in my opinion, resulting in a friendly rubber to play with since it´s very forgiving. Not a crazy fast uncontrolled rubber like some Donic´s and Xiom´s.

Did you try the 47.5° as well?

What's the speed and spin like for the 50° if compared with other popular tensors like Tenergy 05 and MX-P.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 7:31am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Did you try the 47.5° as well?

What's the speed and spin like for the 50° if compared with other popular tensors like Tenergy 05 and MX-P.
I haven´t tried 47.5° and probably won´t do it. I found 50° just perfect. Haven´t tried MX-P either.
Compared to T05 it´s one step below in both spin and speed. But this is not a bad thing because T05 spin and speed always were too much for me.
But I think what I like more in GA8 is its throw angle. Most of tensors have high ou very high throw while GA8 gives a medium-low throw. It´s much easier to counter loop with this rubber than with T05.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 5:35pm
Today I could try my brand new GA8. Its a great rubber but it feels a bit softer than any ESN at 47.5.

As someone pointed out, it's one step below than 05 on speed and spin but it's really easy to control and price is unbeatable.

I would say it's as fast as EL-P and around the same spin.

Definitely a great budget rubber!
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 6:37pm
GA8 47.5 is a great backhand rubber
wanhao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanhao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 10:52pm
Very Durable Rubber. TOP sheeet is very durable too. I accidently Hit my blade against the Table Corner but no damage except a brush mark.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2018 at 6:53pm
I could try both on regular versions 47.5/42.5.

GA8 feels like a bit softer to MXP as well speed/spin quite similar,and the topsheet isn't as grippy but nothing noticeable. I highly recommend this rubber.

GA5 is quite different. It's quite slower and control based. It's not a bad rubber at all, but lacks of the punch and power FXS and FXP has. It's some kind of first gen Aurus Soft that had no problem but nothing special.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2018 at 10:59am
My GA8 50 degrees has just arrived, it is 72 gramms uncut. Standard German sponge, pleasantly hard overall. We will see later this week.
kesher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kesher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 12:11pm
I got both, 47.5 and 50 of GA8.
The 47.5 is more linear,  less catapult effect, and you have to apply much more power in some positions to make it playable. 
50 degrees is one of the best modern rubbers for me. LOVE IT!!!!
Does everything really well. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 4:59pm
I bought both GA V and GA8 on regular sponges as a replacement of EVO FXS/MXP.  GA-V is OK,´but nothing special. FXS is much faster, spinnier and livelier.   GA8 is better for offensive game. However, i still think MXP is a bit better in terms of Speed and spin. I´m not saying it lacks of spin or speed, but MXP is above GA8 and topsheet has more grip when brand-new.

Both are great, but still a little below Evolutions.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 06/11/2018 at 5:02pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 11:50pm
I can confirm Jonyer's view on GA8. I have now played several hours with GA8 and it is below MXP both in speed and spin. MXP is better to force the opponent away from the table with topspins as we found the ball dips a lot more suddenly on topsins and the trajectory is more dangerous.

Chewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/10/2019 at 1:17am
Can anyone please compare the DHS Gold Arc 8 (47.5) with the TSP Super Ventus? I can play well with the GA8. And wonder if they are similar? Especially how is the top sheet hardness of the super Ventus? 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic