Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Handle size

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handle size
    Posted: 04/09/2018 at 7:14pm
For years I have been playing with Stiga Bengtsson blade and got really used to its rather thick handle.  With the new plastic ball, it is a bit too soft, so I want something a little stiffer and a little faster, but all the modern straight handles I have tried are too thin.

I have switched to the Mazunov for now, which is appropriately thick, but not as wide as the Bengtsson handle.

Any recommendations on which modern blades have handles that are on the beefy side?

Thanks in advance!
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

LOG1C1AN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOG1C1AN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/09/2018 at 8:00pm
Butterfly Primorac Carbon
Many Tibhar blades
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 6:13am
axiom feel series have big ol handles
4ugustu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4ugustu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 3:39pm
dhs pg 7 ST !
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 3:55pm
Tibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition, DHS PG7. Nittaku Ma Long Seven also has a great FL-almost-like-ST grip.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

For years I have been playing with Stiga Bengtsson blade and got really used to its rather thick handle.  With the new plastic ball, it is a bit too soft, so I want something a little stiffer and a little faster, but all the modern straight handles I have tried are too thin.

I have switched to the Mazunov for now, which is appropriately thick, but not as wide as the Bengtsson handle.

Any recommendations on which modern blades have handles that are on the beefy side?

Thanks in advance!

Seeing you prefer ST handles, modern blades with thicker handles than those mentioned already which are stiffer and faster:

Yasaka Dynamix 17 - ST
Nittaku S-series:  S-5, S-7,     S-CZ (will try this weekend)

I suggest you explore these

Edited by Snakefish - 04/13/2018 at 12:48am
Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Tibhar Quantum ProX-blue,max
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 10:07pm
ILya,
I used for several years Stiga Bengtsson (Offensive Classic , 1990's vintage) with ST handle and absolutely loved it - I might have told you about it already.
Anyway, you might consider getting another Stiga blade that is faster/stiffer and get the Legend handle, which is FL and very thick ... you can then sand the wider parts to make it (almost) straight, and very similar size to Bengtsson.  This trick worked well for me, when I decided to try Clipper - for similar reason to yours, though I realize it might not work for everyone.
V
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2018 at 12:51pm
Thanks for all the advice.  I'll check these out.

Victor, I have an old Clipper with a thick flared handle and I will try to sand it down a little. Perhaps, it will work.

I am also slowly getting used to the Mazunov, so I might just stick with that.  I like heavier blades.  With the rubbers there now, it weighs in just a touch over 210gr which just about right for me.  With lighter blades, I kept on adding lead tape to make them heavier.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2018 at 4:16pm
Stiga Arctic Wood has a rather thick ST handle, at least compared to the other ST handles I've seen on recent blades.

EDIT: I don't have any other Stiga blade with ST handle, so it might well be that the size of Arctic Wood is the standard Stiga ST size and not wide enough for you...

Edited by arg0 - 04/13/2018 at 4:17pm
Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

Stiga Arctic Wood has a rather thick ST handle, at least compared to the other ST handles I've seen on recent blades.

EDIT: I don't have any other Stiga blade with ST handle, so it might well be that the size of Arctic Wood is the standard Stiga ST size and not wide enough for you...

helpful post. i was wanting to try the arctic blade but i need smaller handles. maybe i best hold off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic