Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help me with my Unorthodox (Maybe Seemiller) Grip
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Help me with my Unorthodox (Maybe Seemiller) Grip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gggr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gggr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me with my Unorthodox (Maybe Seemiller) Grip
    Posted: 04/10/2018 at 11:57pm
Hello Forum,

When I look on the internet, I'm having a hard time finding the answers I want about the grip I use. The ressouces (Especially pictures and/or videos) seems very limited for me to try and compare.

I think my grip is fairly similar to the Seemiller grip. Since I use the same side for my FH and BH. 

I don't have a paddle near me right now so I can try to get pictures later.

The best way I can describe my grip is this way: Close your fist and extend your hand/arm in front of you, then stick your thumb out on the side. That would be the position I hold the paddle to block on my BH (Obviously not that extended in front of me).With only my thumb pressed on the bottom left part of the rubber. What holds the paddle together is my thumb pressing on the rubber and my index and other fingers wrapping around the handle. The FH position is pretty much the same, keep the same grip but bring the paddle to point outside to your right, opening your arm. When you block on BH the thumb will press more firmly on the paddle to stabilize and when doing FH shots the thumb can rest a bit more.

I really like that kind of grip and the advantage of having no crossover point. So I'd like to improve it or maybe learn a proper Seemiller. I'm having a lot of fun playing this way, and I think different is fun, even if not optimal, as long as there is room for improvement.

I feel I have a pretty good forehand drive with this grip and I tend to move a lot to try to hit FH close to the net on the BH side of the table to get good placement with an aggressive drive. Blocking is obviously very good and it feels good to send back my opponent topspin on the edge or corners of the table.

Here are a few questions

-Do you think it's similar enough to Seemiller grip, in terms of the angle and movement I can make with this grip. From watching videos I feel maybe it's closer to Bogan's grip which he holds a bit differently. Again it's really hard to find videos that show very well how to play Seemiller

-Do you think holding the paddle the way I do (With only the thumb on the back) has too many flaws compared to the way SM players would normally hold it, with the thumb and index on the edge)

-I noticed Danny and Eric change grips a lot, should I always use a regular shakehand grip for serves and maybe some specific shots?

-Right now I play with a premade paddle which seems to have rubbers that have below average grip. Does having less grip give me any advantage in my play or I would benefit more from a very grippy rubber. I'd also like to experiment with other types of rubber (Antispin, short-pips or long-pips) and twiddle a bit  but I'm not sure which ones can bring exactly what to my game.

Any other specific or general tips are welcome

Thanks for your help!
TTslurp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTslurp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 3:42am
I think you will have too limited reach far out on the sides. Of course, this holds only for advanced game.

Edited by TTslurp - 04/11/2018 at 3:43am
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 5:13am
I think the crucial phrase in your post is "I'm having a lot of fun playing this way".

If your aim is to have fun, then change nothing.  However, if your aim is to play to the best of your ability, you must change.  When you consider the wide range of possible grips, why is it that there are really only two (maybe three) used at the highest level?  All the best players are either using classic shakehand or penhold (mainly Chinese style with a smattering of Japanese, which is why I said maybe three).  I can think of a dozen reasons why your unconventional grip will limit your potential, but if you're only playing for fun then why worry?
gggr View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gggr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 12:13pm
Thanks for the reply so far.

Anyone can help me with my more specific questions? I'm really curious about the grip changes, from a SM perspective, and rubbers.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 5:55pm
As one person said above, the key thing is to have fun, so if you are having fun, that is great. Having said that and after agreeing with that I think another thing you said is also important. Improvement. Because you will want to keep on improving to have fun. The players you play with will improve - at least some of them will - and if you do not, you will start to lose to them, and the fun will stop.

I play Cpen but I have played against Seemiller and I do think just the thumb for support is not enough. Try and see if you can place the forefinger on the back as well. It will do a lot to improve the range of your shot-making. 

And I do think a premade will get you only so far. You can get blades and rubbers really cheap now. Talk to Cole Ely at colestt.com. He is a great guy and will set you up.
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX
1-ply Hinoki Club
The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
jfolsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by gggr gggr wrote:

Thanks for the reply so far.

Anyone can help me with my more specific questions? I'm really curious about the grip changes, from a SM perspective, and rubbers.

Not sure what the exact question is. There is no "one" Seemiller grip. Danny Seemiller, Eric Boggan, Brian Masters, all held it differently. As far as I know, they all shifted grips to be able to push backhands.

As to rubber, always inverted on one side and either antispin or long pips on the other. The players mentioned above all used antispin. Some Seemiller players today use long pips.

As to how limiting it is, if you were a junior coaches would try and talk you out of using that grip. At one time 4 out of 5 players on the US team played Seemiller grip, and the USA was in the first division back then. The game has evolved, there is a lot more spin on the backhand now. But if you are not going to play in international competition I don't see a problem.

Edited by jfolsen - 04/12/2018 at 10:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic