FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Tournament Software for small club

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tournament Software for small club
    Posted: 04/11/2018 at 10:42am
Small club with 8 tables, 3-4 tournaments a year, and 50 members needs to switch from manually run tournaments to using some software based system.  Tournaments they hold are a mix of rating events with RR to SE advancement or to cross-over advancement, same for age group events, and some giant RR formats with morning RR to finish grouping RR to SE or cross-over advancement.  Most tournaments are USATT sanctioned but at least one is not (some players without rating or USATT number).  They are set up to take credit card payments and do have a website so on-line registration is probably a plus but not a must.

Main concern is easy of use.  People who have been running tournaments there manually are no longer going to be running tournaments so they need to train up some new tournament directors.  Hopefully the use of software will make it easier.

So what is out there?

What are the significant differences between them (if any)?

What would you suggest for a club like this?

I am volunteering to work with the potential new tournament directors for a month (before I start traveling) to help with learning the software.  However, I have only run tournaments manually so it is going to be a new experience for me as well.

Mark - Who impersonates a TT coach, software trainer, TT player, and sometimes Santa Claus

Edited by mjamja - 04/11/2018 at 10:58am
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 11:47am
http://omnipong.com/

Does everything you want including ability to register online and pay via Paypal or credit card.  They also have, for a small fee, a mechanism for submitting tournament results electronically for USATT processing.  Other than submitting the results to USATT, internet access is not required.  The developer, CKrum, is a forum member, send him a PM to get more info.
OSP Ultimate II, Xiom Omega VII Asia/Omega VII Asia
OSP Virtuoso+, Butterfly Tenergy 80/Tenergy 80
Yinhe T-7, Xiom Vega Asia/Xiom Vega Asia
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 2:35pm
I'll second Omnipong!  

It is very easy to use and pretty easy to learn.  It is very TD "friendly".  The visuals for matches in progress, matches or groups ready to play, and also matches/groups not ready to play are very nice to have.  It also gives visual indications that help in identifying and sorting out various forms of conflict (players from the same club, players that have played before in other events, etc.).  It can handle RR formats, SE formats, Giant RR's, and most anything else* with aplomb.  Oh, and doubles are easy too.

Tournament setup is pretty quick and easy.  Changes - even last second changes - are handled pretty easily.  

Tournament results (not ratings) usually show up on the Omnipong page very soon (usually less than an hour in my experience) after being submitted.  

When it comes time to submit the tournament results, player list, tournament report, and membership stuff to USATT, it is essentially a one click process.  Once payment is sorted out they usually put the results up quickly.

If you run into problems, Craig is remarkably helpful.  He even got me up to speed, and that is saying something!

bes
*My only (very minor) gripe is that Omnipong doesn't do Team Tournaments.  They can probably be done with OP, but I'm not smart enough to make it work...
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 3:58pm
If bes can use it then it must be really easy😊

Talked to Craig at Senior Games Nationals where he was running the event with omnipong. Really nice guy. Had interesting discussion on software development and testing.

Mark
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 4:41pm

Maybe develop your own idealistic software to donate to clubs to better the sport.
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Maybe develop your own idealistic software to donate to clubs to better the sport.

Back in my programing days Java and cookies were something you drank and ate during your morning break. Everything I wrote code in is now considered a dead language.

Mark - Master of Commodore PET Basic
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/11/2018 at 7:29pm
just email Omnipong...you are able to get his free tournament software
Stiga Clipper Wood, Viscaria,BBC,
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 4:36am
Mjamja, java and cookies are stll in use :)
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/12/2018 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

Mjamja, java and cookies are stll in use :)
Ya, they are still good, and you can write one within a week. However, I will not recommend that he try to do it. Online credit card payments are not mickey mouse operations.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2018 at 4:35am
sure...
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2018 at 6:03am
hi mjamja,depends on your needs i can write you the software.
PM me with your requirements
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/13/2018 at 10:47am
You can try Sportfist.com 
Many of the East Coast Tournaments and Leagues are using this new software. It was developed about 3 years ago and has been improving every year. The owner and developer is very receptive to your opinions. Our club tournaments use this program right now. 

2 cents added.
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic