FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Manika Batra vs. Feng Tianwei the rematch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manika Batra vs. Feng Tianwei the rematch
    Posted: 04/14/2018 at 12:27am
In the Womens Team event, we know that Manika Batra beat Feng Tianwei 3-2.  A close match and a best of 5.  So these two met again in the Womens Singles Semifinal at the Commonwealth games.  No video yet, but the result is here:

Manika Batra wins 4-3.  Close match again but confirms that the first match was no fluke.  And although ranked at no. 4 in the world, I would actually place FTW just below the Japanese trio.  Regardless, FTW is a very, very good player.

I don't really follow India table tennis tbh, but just thought it's nice to have a feel good story/headline in Womens table tennis from somewhere other than China/Japan.  Could this be the start of something bigger for India?  We shall see.
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 1:57am
Feng Tianwei doesn't like long pimples....but losing twice from from Manika Batra is...a double shame !!!!
You can't enjoy an easy win.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 4:57am
If you are in the USA:

Women's semis
http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3343277

Men's semis
http://www.espn.com/watch/?id=3343274

Final tomorrow is featuring Quadri and Ning and 3rd place match feature Achanta and Walker.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Tibhar Inca
FH: MX-S 1.9 B
BH: MX-S 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 4:59am
Originally posted by pongfugrasshopper pongfugrasshopper wrote:

In the Womens Team event, we know that Manika Batra beat Feng Tianwei 3-2.  A close match and a best of 5.  So these two met again in the Womens Singles Semifinal at the Commonwealth games.  No video yet, but the result is here:

Manika Batra wins 4-3.  Close match again but confirms that the first match was no fluke.  And although ranked at no. 4 in the world, I would actually place FTW just below the Japanese trio.  Regardless, FTW is a very, very good player.

I don't really follow India table tennis tbh, but just thought it's nice to have a feel good story/headline in Womens table tennis from somewhere other than China/Japan.  Could this be the start of something bigger for India?  We shall see.

Depends.  The 3 games Feng won were 11-5.  All Batra's games were won by the 2 point margin, including a 13-11 decider.  Fluke is not the right word, and Batra is a good player, but there is something there that needs investigation.
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
VladCeller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VladCeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 6:02am
Manika Batra-gold medal....
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 7:36am
Pushblockers are go!!
>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Yinhe pro feeling + T05/T05

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 7:38am
BTW, this is the first time that a non Chinese born (i.e. ex-CNT) player has ever won the gold medal.
>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Yinhe pro feeling + T05/T05

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 8:20am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

If you are in the USA:

Women's semis
http://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=3343277

Men's semis
http://www.espn.com/watch/?id=3343274

Final tomorrow is featuring Quadri and Ning and 3rd place match feature Achanta and Walker.

Nice find!  The video quality is excellent.  Manika Batra vs. FTW at about the 1:49:40 mark.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 8:54am
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Feng Tianwei doesn't like long pimples....but losing twice from from Manika Batra is...a double shame !!!!

No shame losing to a good player.  Lack of familiarity with Manika Batra's style does come into play though.
Here is Yang Haeun playing a very controlled non spin oriented match against Manika Batra:

pingpungpeng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 10:49am

Edited by pingpungpeng - 04/14/2018 at 2:23pm
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 11:21am
Feng also loses to choppers. She just doesn't like pips, huh? Confused
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 11:37am
Here is the link for the team gold matches; it only works locally(singapore), so you will need TouchVPN extension for Chrome

Actually, you can go over all her CW table tennis matches (Final at EP34, semis at EP32 etc...) at the same website 

Edited by Egghead - 04/14/2018 at 5:40pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 12:54pm

No shame losing to a good player.  Lack of familiarity with Manika Batra's style does come into play though.
Here is Yang Haeun playing a very controlled non spin oriented match against Manika Batra:

Losing once can happen but losing twice from Batra is not acceptable for the n°4th in the world...
Not being able to adapt her game at this level is dramatic.
 yes, I know world ranking is something spécial and doesn't reflect the réal qualities of each player but..it seems that FTW is probably in tactics and mentally a weak player.

Edited by kakapo - 04/14/2018 at 12:56pm
You can't enjoy an easy win.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 1:06pm
Well, Manika Batra beat Yu Mengyu in 4 straight for the gold as well.  It might be a fluke and I believe the G40+ is being used at these games, but let us give her some credit.  I was just pointing out that the match with Feng was pretty close and Feng played better than the score would indicate.

But Manika has shown she has improved. Time will tell by how much.
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 1:16pm
Manika Batra was a beast in both those games.
Amazing power and determination, unafraid to punch the ball full power every time. Really fun to watch. Good length and strength too, at least in comparison.

Great player that's real fun to watch

Edited by Lightzy - 04/14/2018 at 1:17pm
DHS H301
FH Rubber: 729 Battle II
BH Rubber: Palio AK47 Blue
tom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 1:30pm
Wasn't really impressed by her team match videos. Good player but not 1 or 2 tier

Edited by tom - 04/14/2018 at 5:14pm
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Feng also loses to choppers. She just doesn't like pips, huh? Confused
Ya, FTW has problems with variations in the spins. However, FTW should enough tricks up her sleeve to fright Batra off. As I said in other posts, something is very very interesting here 
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 4:59pm

Losing once can happen but losing twice from Batra is not acceptable for the n°4th in the world...
Not being able to adapt her game at this level is dramatic.
 yes, I know world ranking is something spécial and doesn't reflect the réal qualities of each player but..it seems that FTW is probably in tactics and mentally a weak player.
That match was only last month LOL
andras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 5:46pm
Match almost unrepeatable
FTW wins a total 71 points
manika B wins a total of 62 points
manika B wins the game 13-11 in the fifth set.
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 5:58pm
Does anyine else think FTW made a bad mistake taking the timeout up 8-6 in the 7th? She had been up 8-4 and lost two points on Batra's serve, so it was a reasonable timeout.

But it just seemed like it gave Constantini a chance to tell Batra "You've got nothing to lose. Smash thise fhs, don't try to block." and that's what she did. FTW had a winning strategy going at Batra's fh, nothing different for her coach to say at timeout.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by andras andras wrote:

manika B wins the game 13-11 in the fifth set

Not sure about that; Batra beat her twice already. Beside the twiddling, her LP's blocking and hitting are unreal. 

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

Does anyine else think FTW made a bad mistake taking the timeout up 8-6 in the 7th? She had been up 8-4 and lost two points on Batra's serve, so it was a reasonable timeout.

But it just seemed like it gave Constantini a chance to tell Batra "You've got nothing to lose. Smash thise fhs, don't try to block." and that's what she did. FTW had a winning strategy going at Batra's fh, nothing different for her coach to say at timeout.
That is a bad timeout call. May be call the timeout at 8-7 or 8-8.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

That is a bad timeout call. May be call the timeout at 8-7 or 8-8.

Well, we don't know what was inside her head. Maybe she was nervous and needed to calm down for her serves. Manika Batra keeps battling back over and over. Add to that that this could be the 2nd defeat in just a few days. As a seasoned professional, she should be able to put that aside, but even the top players get nervous.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 7:34pm

Here's my rant.

I have often felt it is easy to over value timeouts ( the converse is also true - some people don't value them enough). In the end, you want to play your best table tennis after you take a time out. A former coach of mine hated timeouts because they gave the opponent a chance to get advice as well, he preferred that I learned to take my time before a point and work it out. My own rule is simple - is something distracting me from playing my best table tennis, possibly including the current tactics and execution of my opponent, that I need to get out of my head in order to play my best table tennis? If yes, then a timeout can help. If no, just play. You can waste time before a point in amateur table tennis and have the near equivalent of a timeout.   

Feng had won 4 points and seemed to have a handle on things. Then Batra won 2. It was a logical timeout. The problem is that it didn't win the match, so the defenders of timeouts will find all kinds of explanations. You cannot judge timeout calls by the results of the match or the impact on the opponent, things a bit beyond your control, you can only judge them based on how they helped you handle the moment.
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 8:08pm
I agree it was a logical timeout. I just feel like Batrahad moreto gain from coaching at that moment than FTW. However even on her service points Batra seemed to have benefitted at 4-8 from the 'I've lost anyway so might as well swing freely.' type of stress release. Her forehand improved dramatically from then on.

Both players had match points afterwards, so clearly the timeout was not the deciding factor.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Here's my rant.

I have often felt it is easy to over value timeouts ( the converse is also true - some people don't value them enough). In the end, you want to play your best table tennis after you take a time out. A former coach of mine hated timeouts because they gave the opponent a chance to get advice as well, he preferred that I learned to take my time before a point and work it out. My own rule is simple - is something distracting me from playing my best table tennis, possibly including the current tactics and execution of my opponent, that I need to get out of my head in order to play my best table tennis? If yes, then a timeout can help. If no, just play. You can waste time before a point in amateur table tennis and have the near equivalent of a timeout.   

Feng had won 4 points and seemed to have a handle on things. Then Batra won 2. It was a logical timeout. The problem is that it didn't win the match, so the defenders of timeouts will find all kinds of explanations. You cannot judge timeout calls by the results of the match or the impact on the opponent, things a bit beyond your control, you can only judge them based on how they helped you handle the moment.
I understand where you're coming from but FTW had the serve at the 8-6. She had the handle. Don't know, may be she wanted to talk to her coach to work out the tactic.
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2018 at 10:27pm

Originally posted by andras andras wrote:

manika B wins the game 13-11 in the fifth set

Not sure about that; Batra beat her twice already. Beside the twiddling, her LP's blocking and hitting are unreal. 

No one counts the points it is either a win or a loss 
and Manika won against 3 different Singapore players oner the games
there is no buts or investigations needed, Manika was just better on the day and at a young age she will give plenty of good players trouble

my new hero Smile

Ulmo Duality,tibhar 5Q sound black, Dtechs grass ox red
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2018 at 9:53pm
Manika Batra led India's team to win the team Gold medal in the Commonwealth games.

Later, in the individual event, reportedly Manika Batra won the Women's Singles Gold medal.
I think the women singles final is between Manika Batra and Singapore's Mengyu Yu.
Unable to find the video of the final.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2018 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Manika Batra led India's team to win the team Gold medal in the Commonwealth games.

Later, in the individual event, reportedly Manika Batra won the Women's Singles Gold medal.
I think the women singles final is between Manika Batra and Singapore's Mengyu Yu.
Unable to find the video of the final.
Both final and semi-final video links were posted above. You should watch the semi-final; final was so-so Dead
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2018 at 11:15pm

Both final and semi-final video links were posted above. You should watch the semi-final; final was so-so Dead

I can't watch those from my region, might be the same for others.... hoping to see them on youtube at some stage.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic