Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Tips for a Liu Song style?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obesechopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for a Liu Song style?
    Posted: 04/17/2018 at 2:30am
I've been shifting more toward a Liu Song style of play (heavy forehand attacks and occasional backhand chops with LP OX) and so far the results have been... mixed! 

I'm wondering if there are any good tips for seeing success with this style, at the amateur level? What are the main strengths you must have etc. footwork?! And if it's worth going after without the proper coaching? 

And what equipment selection would be a nice fit? I believe he's using a joo se hyuk blade with hurricane and some OX LP. 
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2018 at 3:02am
He supposedly uses Haifu Whale III with Bomb Talent long pips

I would say the bh should be developed as good as the Pushblocker, which makes a good 4h even more dangerous.

Edited by LUCKYLOOP - 04/17/2018 at 3:03am
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2018 at 6:03am
He played a tournament here about ten years ago. He moves so well that he can take practically every ball with his forehand and still be in great position to drive the ball hard. He makes it look easy. Not a lot of amateurs are going to be able to emulate that. But that is where I would think you need to start.
obesechopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2018 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

He played a tournament here about ten years ago. He moves so well that he can take practically every ball with his forehand and still be in great position to drive the ball hard. He makes it look easy. Not a lot of amateurs are going to be able to emulate that. But that is where I would think you need to start.

That's what I'm finding... tough to move around the way he does! A lot of it seems to be anticipation problems as well. He's so fine tuned that he can get going where he needs to be, and I'm stuck there waiting for the ball to hit the table before moving! 

Might be easier for me to do a bit more chopping/chop blocking before firing off the forehand (aka I'm stuck on the backhand side anyway LOL ) 
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2018 at 10:43am
I think you have to develop a deadly FH to start with Smile.  As with any strong FH player, they are not only attack FH well, but can counter well too, this is needed, as they like to play fast tempo and long ball, and invite the attack as well as being aggressive.  They basically have to make it hard for the opponent to play the angle on them, as they basically a 1 wing player.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic