Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for flexible OFF- blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fraziel66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraziel66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for flexible OFF- blade
    Posted: 04/19/2018 at 2:50pm
Anyone got any recommendations for a flexible OFF- blade?

I was using a Stiga Allround classic as i wasn't playing much .I loved it apart from the hollow sound. Great for learning strokes and development.

Decided to go for something a bit faster as I was playing more so i bought a Xiom Diva OFF-. It is great for some things, improved my blocks, hits,drives and has a good dwell and nice feel.

I have noticed though that when i try to spin up those half length, and even 3/4 length, slowish balls that I sometimes get that it's harder to do. I am fairly sure this is because it's stiffer than AR Classic and the Diva has less vibration. I have played with it for a fair bit and its annoying me a little.

Any suggestions for a similar speed blade but that's a little more flexi? Not looking to spend too much, About £40 or $60. 

Using 729 Focus III Snipe 42 degree, which i like a lot.

thanks
Sponsored Links

BaiMile View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaiMile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 4:07pm
Why don't you try Stiga Offensive Classic? But the hollow sound wil be the same.
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 4:17pm
You can also check out the Yasaka Sweden Extra. It is close in play and feel to the Nittaku Violin at a fraction of the price. 
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 6:15pm
Stiga Offensive Wood NCT

Edited by Dream1700 - 04/19/2018 at 6:16pm
Force Pro Special 7ply
FH: Fastarc C-1 1.4
BH: Tenergy 80 1.7
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 7:33pm
It looks like the Diva has Koto outer veneers. This is probably why it feels hard/stiff to you. Just look for an off- blade around 5.7mm with Limba outer veneers. Something like a Butterfly Primorac. If you go with something like Korbel at 6mm it will be too fast. You might want to look at All+ blades like a Stiga Energy Wood but most All+ wood blades have a lot of feedback and a more hollow sound compared to off-

Edited by jpenmaster - 04/19/2018 at 7:33pm
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip
JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 8:07pm
Have you looked into the OSP Virtuoso?  Highly acclaimed and has the wood, thickness and Off- speed you are looking for. In addition you get to have it made to your specs. It will be very high quality and beautiful to boot.    I had one, loved it, sold it, regretted it, bought another one and now will always have one in my quiver.Wink  Read the reviews on this site and revspin.net
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

JoeB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 8:10pm
PS. It cost more than you want to pay but it is worth every cent.  Built to last.   You will get what you pay for.   Look for a used one...hard to find but they are out there.
Joe B   BBC Hinoki/carbon
            BBC Hinoki

MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 8:25pm
+1 for the virtuoso off-
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2018 at 8:34pm
729 V6
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 10:30am
The OSP Virtuoso will cost you, but those blades are beautiful. It will cost you twice as much as you plan to spend (with shipping). But if you are sure this blade suits your style of play then OSP blades are definitely keepers. 

If you still want to go the cheaper route which is fine also, then you also have the option of getting in touch with Cole Ely of colestt.com. He will recommend blades based on your play style and what you are looking for. I have bought from him and he knows his stuff. He has never made a recommendation that I did not like or found to be off. Always spot on.

Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 10:37am
I will recommend the blade I´m using right now: Palio Energy 03 FL.
It´s cheap, light, has 4 layers of soft carbon witch make it flexible and without any vibrations.
One of the best "cheap" blades I´ve ever tried.
ohwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 11:09am
You suggest the issue you have with the Diva has to do with feel.  But from the description you give it seems like it might also have to do with the blade's speed - maybe specifically on slowish shots.  

I haven't tried the Diva, but AFAIK it has a Koto outer ply, as others have pointed out. (My source: https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/index.php)  The difference in feel is very much to be expected with Koto vs the Allround Classic's Limba outer.  (Afaik the rest of the blades is ayous layers for both.) A lot of people also find Koto outers to be a little more tricky on slower spinny shots.  So on paper, what you're describing seems consistent with the fact that you moved from Limba to Koto.

If you like the Diva's handle (Xiom handles are a love it or hate it issue for many people), you might prefer the Xiom Offensive S.  AFAIK (source https://stervinou.net/ttbdb/index.php) it has the same composition as the allround classic (limba-ayous-ayous-ayous-limba), so the feel should be closer to that. In my experience, Offensive S is quite a bit faster than the Allround classic.  But IMO it's at a speed level that's worth getting familiar with even quite early on.  

(NB: I'm not an advanced player by any stretch.  My suggestion is based on having needs that are probably not too far from yours, and on having used (and learned about) way more equipment than is advisable for developing players.)

Edited by ohwell - 04/20/2018 at 11:12am
Fraziel66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraziel66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 4:11pm
Thanks everyone for the advice. I researched the blade before purchasing and I knew it was Koto outer but from reviews i found and e mails to sellers they said it was quite dwelly and had a medium feel with medium flex. I can handle the speed ok, in fact i am very happy with that, its just spinning up those slow balls thats an issue. I should say as well that is doesn't feel hard, i like the medium feel, just stiffer.
'
I have noticed though that it doesn;t have much vibration at all for a wood blade and the Xiom site says it has littl vibration for a wood blade. The AR classic vibrates like hell , which gives lots of feedback which i like at my level. I wonder if i should just have gone for a Stiga OC. I thought about Primorac , tried it before and liked it, but the tiny Butterfly handles are not for me. 

I like the lack of vibration when driving and blocking, just not so good on spinning up. I should also say that the construction quality of the Diva is superb.

I suppose there is no easy answer and having looked at a lot of blades ( i enjoy the research, it's fun) I think if i change it will be to OSP. 

I wont give up on the Diva yet, will try for a bit longer and see if i get used to it.

Lastly anyone tried a Nexy Spear? Sounds like it might be good.

thanks

arg0 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote arg0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 4:21pm
I didn't try the Nexy Spear, but in case you're tempted by OSP Virtuoso and Nittaku Acoustic, I found the Nexy Peterpan to have very close characteristics to these blades at a lower price.
It's not too hard to come across a used Peterpan, too. If you follow the link in my signature, you'll find a link to a review thread for Peterpan (and other Nexy blades).

Nexy Arche & Nittaku Violin LG.
Join the Nexy Clan!
Also member of Violin & 1-Ply clans.
Fraziel66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraziel66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2018 at 8:43am
yeah, i have bought from him before. Good guy.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2018 at 10:37am
Yup i agree. Peter pan is a very good looping blade. If you want other brands please try Stiga Arctic Wood or Xiom Offensive S.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2018 at 11:33am
any tibhar.
alpha, premium contact, lebesson.
super cheap and play great.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2018 at 8:26am
I would recommend lebesson or alpha if you cant afford a virtuoso or nittaku or Sweden extra which is still really all+ ish imo
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
GrayFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2018 at 8:33am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

I would recommend lebesson or alpha if you cant afford a virtuoso or nittaku or Sweden extra which is still really all+ ish imo
What about Tibhar Drinkhall Allround Classic?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/22/2018 at 8:33am
Originally posted by arg0 arg0 wrote:

I didn't try the Nexy Spear, but in case you're tempted by OSP Virtuoso and Nittaku Acoustic, I found the Nexy Peterpan to have very close characteristics to these blades at a lower price.
It's not too hard to come across a used Peterpan, too. If you follow the link in my signature, you'll find a link to a review thread for Peterpan (and other Nexy blades).

Peterpan cost $80. almost same as Virtuoso
emihet View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emihet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 1:56am
Virtuoso+
Avalox BT 555
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/25/2018 at 5:00am
Try Sanwei 502E Custom version. In my view it's in the range of OFF- to OFF. It is cheap as well.
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
Fraziel66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fraziel66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 8:20am
How does the Butterfly Primorac OFF- compare to the OSP Virtuoso off-, are they not very similar? What's the flared handle like on the Primorac? Tiny like other Butterfly blades or a bit bigger?
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 8:25am
Yinhe mc-2 , by far best off- loopng flexy blade.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 8:39am
its fast more like off but tinhar stratus Powerwood is a fantastic flexy looping blade, I mean the looping is ridiculous with this blade much better than infinity ot stiga allround but it is fairly quick

you will have no trouble getting arc and spin with it thpugh
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
garwor View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garwor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 10:33am
tibhar stratus powerwood is not flexy, it's more stiff than flexy, maybe 6.5 stiffness of 10.
I had it and sold it because of stiffness.
Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!
GrayFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by garwor garwor wrote:

tibhar stratus powerwood is not flexy, it's more stiff than flexy, maybe 6.5 stiffness of 10.
I had it and sold it because of stiffness.
What can you say about the Tibhar blade of the Drinkhall Allround Classic?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic