Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deception in rally shots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
maurice101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maurice101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deception in rally shots
    Posted: 04/20/2018 at 1:11am
I play a much younger guy a lot that reads my shots very well and is very fast. I was wondering how do forum members use deception in their shots? What type of shots do you use in deception and is there any video examples on this topic? A coach said forehand down the line is the best shot to use in this aspect of the game? Should I just improve my speed and placement in topspin shots or work more on deception?
Sponsored Links

bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 2:05am
if you hit the ball where they're not expecting it, it doesn't have to be as strong. because they're not in position or expecting. (edit) at my low level.

Edited by bars - 04/20/2018 at 2:06am
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 3:47am
Originally posted by maurice101 maurice101 wrote:

I play a much younger guy a lot that reads my shots very well and is very fast. I was wondering how do forum members use deception in their shots? What type of shots do you use in deception and is there any video examples on this topic? A coach said forehand down the line is the best shot to use in this aspect of the game? Should I just improve my speed and placement in topspin shots or work more on deception?
Imo you can't use deception in the most common sense that you fade a movement, e.g. Mizutani's flicks,

but you should place the ball in a variety of places and in a position where the opponent will find it hard to reach.

And reduce your stroke movement if your energy transfer is non optimal. Focus more on acceleration and reduce if needed. 

Learn how to create more kick on the ball in order to make it more difficult for the opponent. Your goal is to make it more difficult for the opponent while making it easier for you, in a rally.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 7:19pm
Deception for me consists of 3 steps - timing of contact, position/rotation or shoulders, and the head / direction of the blade.

Position and shoulders often teleport what you're about to do, and if you can time a shot a bit later, you can catch the opponent reading shoulders as doing one things, but having the ball go to another spot. An example is a forehand loop that looks like cross court, but goes down the line.

The head of the blade and directions also often imply the placement, but that can be misread ( with proper deception ). There is a coach at ICC that blocks with the head of the blade up, and every time I watch him, I misread where the ball is going.
Back to table tennis...
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 10:09pm
Deception can be as simple as changing the speed of the shot.
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2018 at 11:12pm
Variation is useful and usually easier to do than deception. Variation in speed or spin is important. Players can often groove to whatever you give them.
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2018 at 2:28pm
IMO attempting deception is more likely to mess you up than him. If he's that fast he can just wait to see your ball and move to it.

Placement is a better way for you to try to crack this problem, because it will help you in every match, without overburdening your technique.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2018 at 7:04pm
what is a rally shot
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/21/2018 at 7:11pm
Most deception is in the serve and the serve receive. Or in short balls in general.
There is not much room for deception in long shots, but a lot of possible deception in short balls, during a rally too.

Placement and tactics is more important in rally..
Probably best to learn basic tactics I think. Like how to not be tempted to hit a down-the-line backhand to your opponents forehand when you get caught at the forehand side of the table, being extra careful about a down-the-line pivot forehand to your opponent and whatever other shots that leave you open for a potential block that will 100% lose you the point.
Basically how to avoid putting yourself in a situation where if the opponent returns the ball, you 100% lose.

Edited by Lightzy - 04/21/2018 at 7:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic