FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Yinhe M202 PLC Review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yinhe M202 PLC Review
    Posted: 05/01/2018 at 4:41am

As part of my order with http://www.ttequipment.co.uk, I also picked up a Yinhe M202 blade for £38.  I've seen these kicking around on some Chinese sites previously and was interested, so having a local supplier seemed like too good an opportunity to miss.  It's part of Yinhe's Mars range of blades, and they all look interesting if I'm honest.  The key material is PLC, which looks to be a type of polyethylene woven with carbon, producing a cheaper alternative to ZLC.  I think we’ll be seeing more of this kind of material from other brands, if we aren't already.

Physicals

My M202 is 5.9mm in total thickness, 86g weight, FL handle.  My guess as to the composition would be:

Dyed Koto - Ayous - PLC - Ayous - PLC - Ayous - Dyed Koto

WRONG!  It's confirmed as:

Dyed Limba - Ayous - PLC - Ayous - PLC - Ayous - Dyed Limba

I'm not 100% on it being koto - I'm going off the grain pattern on the edge, but if you said it was limba then I'd believe you.  The quality of the construction is very good, although I had to sand the edges of wings down a bit because they were a little sharp.  The handle is a bit on the small side - it's wide enough but a bit thin – similarly thin in comparison to the DHS Fang Bo 2. 

In Play

During a basic topspin drive warm-up, the speed felt solidly in the middle of OFF-.  It's a tick faster than a Waldner Senso Carbon, slightly slower than a Viscaria/Boll ALC/Vega Pro, similar to an Innerforce ALC or LSW.

When you start to loop and you apply more force, the speed increases quite a lot and there is a fair amount of flex available.  In this sense, it reminds me of the non-linear looping experience you get with something like a BTY Mizutani Jun ZLC, but with a lower average speed across the board.  A mini-MJ perhaps.  Because of this, it allows a great range of variable looping strokes from slightly further away from the table without getting too hot to handle.  It's not as deadly as the MJ, and it doesn't have the overall power needed if you attack from absolutely miles away.

Short game is very good.  The low-gear speed is useful when considering service and receive.

The feel is softer than a koto outer might suggest (again, is it limba?) - certainly not as sharp or direct as a typical Viscaria for example.  It didn't feel as solid either (although not horribly hollow at all - just a little distant), and I wasn't as confident with blocking initially.  The sweet spot is pretty wide, and although the feedback is somewhat vague there's still enough to let you know what's going on.

Overall

This is a great inner composite looping blade for the money.  It's well made (from a sample of one, obviously), has enough speed to get the job done without being overwhelming for an average standard player like myself.  It's definitely aimed at players who focus on loop attack though - I tend to play close-in these days so it feels initially a touch too flexy/non-linear for my style.  Although I have had some excellent wins with it at the end of my league season, so I'm giving it some serious thought (and I’ve put in a special order with Dean at http://www.ttequipment.co.uk for an M201 – I really like the potential of this range).  There's a lot to like about it (especially considering the price) - if you are looking for a cheaper, slightly tamer alternative to a BTY MJ/IF-ZLC then this should be on your list IMO.

Dean also included a Yinhe single bat case as a little bonus for me and it's really nice and solid for a basic case, so many thanks to him for that!

Edited by AndySmith - 05/15/2018 at 4:11pm
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2018 at 6:55pm
I was given the whole series a couple months ago. It's hard to tell with the stain, but comparing it to the koto models I think it may be limba.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2018 at 6:57pm
I was given the whole series a couple months ago. It's hard to tell with the stain, but comparing it to the koto models I think it may be limba. In your picture it kind of looks like the wenge one but gray.

shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2018 at 8:24pm
Thanks for the review!
I'm no expert in wood types at all, but to me it looks more like koto than limba.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2018 at 12:09am
I thought so too at first but if you compare it to the koto blades in the series the koto has much deeper pocks in that classic almond shell look. Holding it up to limba it looks closer.

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2018 at 4:43am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

I thought so too at first but if you compare it to the koto blades in the series the koto has much deeper pocks in that classic almond shell look. Holding it up to limba it looks closer.

I know just where you're coming from.  Looking at the top ply I think "limba", looking at the edge of the ply it has that leopard print pattern so I think "koto", when I play with it I feel that it's too soft for koto so I think "limba" again.  I'm not 100% on either to be honest.

It's a great blade though and the whole range looks very cool.  Some enterprising US members should definitely hit Cole up and give one a try.  If you compare these to Xiom, Butterfly, and so on...incredible value for money.
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2018 at 8:32am
The moment I read small handle, it was DOA.
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

The moment I read small handle, it was DOA.

It isn't awful - just a bit narrow at the top.  I think the ST handle looks a bit thicker, hopefully I can get one of those next time.

I can measure it if you (or anyone else) is interested?
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2018 at 1:52pm
Thanks Andy. I need at least 102mm long and 89mm circumference on na ST. Mostly everything I've tried from Asia had been much to small. These are the dimensions of my Killerspin Diamond CQ which so far is the only place I've found that works for me.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

I know just where you're coming from.  Looking at the top ply I think "limba", looking at the edge of the ply it has that leopard print pattern so I think "koto", when I play with it I feel that it's too soft for koto so I think "limba" again.  I'm not 100% on either to be honest.

It's a great blade though and the whole range looks very cool.  Some enterprising US members should definitely hit Cole up and give one a try.  If you compare these to Xiom, Butterfly, and so on...incredible value for money.

I didn't stock them. I just got the samples. I tried them all one night with the then new yinhe robot. I have one of each minus one I sold. A two tone one I think

AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2018 at 10:50am

I didn't stock them. I just got the samples. I tried them all one night with the then new yinhe robot. I have one of each minus one I sold. A two tone one I think

Ah yes, there is a combi blade version.  I haven't seen much of that at all.

OK, Some enterprising US members should definitely convince Cole to stock a few and then buy them off him.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/03/2018 at 10:52am
There were two with different plies. One was stained koto. The one I have left is koto and wenge.

TTEquipment.co.uk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTEquipment.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2018 at 4:44am

The outer ply of the m202 is Limba Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTEquipment.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2018 at 4:47am

Ah yes, there is a combi blade version.  I haven't seen much of that at all.

The combi blade version that you mention is the m901.  This is one side Wenge and one side Ayous.

It's not a blade we stock at this time, but we are happy to special order one from Yinhe if you wanted? Smile
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2018 at 3:53pm
It's limba just by looking at the lines in the wood
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Very easy in hindsight, isn't it?  Wink

The M201 is the one with the koto outers.  So, what do you think the outer plies on the M101 and M102 are?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTEquipment.co.uk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 5:13am

Very easy in hindsight, isn't it?  Wink

The M201 is the one with the koto outers.  So, what do you think the outer plies on the M101 and M102 are?

the M101 is an outer Carbon Limba Blade and the M102 is the outer carbon Koto version.

Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2018 at 5:18am
Koto blades are very distinct. Lower throw, crisp contact.. I don't know what it is exactly but I can't play any other blade now
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

Koto blades are very distinct. Lower throw, crisp contact.. I don't know what it is exactly but I can't play any other blade now
I switched from koto to limba and there are benefits to limba, you just need a specific play style to prefer one to the other. I'm not sure what style exactly but I've grown from koto alc to switch to limba inner alc. I think I generate enough power to sacrifice and gain extra dwell time and control

e.g. ML/FB uses limba and FZD/ZJK uses koto so there's no better wood

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 9:57am

Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

I switched from koto to limba and there are benefits to limba, you just need a specific play style to prefer one to the other. I'm not sure what style exactly but I've grown from koto alc to switch to limba inner alc. I think I generate enough power to sacrifice and gain extra dwell time and control

e.g. ML/FB uses limba and FZD/ZJK uses koto so there's no better wood

This is true - optimising personal playstyle via equipment selection is definitely the right way to look at it IMO, rather than randomly EJing around in an attempt to mask technique issues.  Beyond that, it's just personal preference and using what you like to use.

If anyone in Europe wants to give this M202 a try then send me a PM.  It's a fantastic blade in its own right, but if you factor in the price then it's a total bargain.
mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2020 at 11:55pm
 https://imgur.com/gallery/kkkP8l3

I bought all the Mars Series 

I have always used butterfly blades and felt this would be a good comparison

Blade history:
- Apolonia
- IF ALC
- LGY ALC
- TB ALC/ZLC/ZLF
- Michael Maze ALC
- JM ZLC
- Freitas ALC 
- Hurricane Long 5 

Edited by mon22 - 12/09/2020 at 12:26am
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2020 at 5:21pm
I was given samples of all of these. Some are stained Koto. One was wenge on one side. That was the coolest

Jeez it's been so long I forgot I'd already posted in this

Edited by cole_ely - 12/09/2020 at 5:23pm

mon22 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mon22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2020 at 6:52am
I should’ve reached out to you first sir

I’m just waiting on rubbers

Slapping, 

-FH Hurricane 3 neo 40degree
-BH Mercury 2 medium (I used Hurricane 3 neo on the bh for a year) - Mercury way cheaper for all 4 hahaha

My hinoki ghost review couple years back -

Edited by mon22 - 12/10/2020 at 6:53am
I am a total Newb. Come at me!
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2020 at 9:11am
I sold them all long ago except the nicest one...2 sided wenge/koto I think.  I spent a night with the robot trying one after another with the same rubbers, then sold them.  

I still like my w1 better than any of their newer stuff

Edited by cole_ely - 12/10/2020 at 9:21am

comodoensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote comodoensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

I should’ve reached out to you first sir

I’m just waiting on rubbers

Slapping, 

-FH Hurricane 3 neo 40degree
-BH Mercury 2 medium (I used Hurricane 3 neo on the bh for a year) - Mercury way cheaper for all 4 hahaha

My hinoki ghost review couple years back -

So how's the result, sir? Me being pretty curious with m101 and m202 🙄🙄🙄
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic