Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My conical Collection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My conical Collection
    Posted: 05/08/2018 at 12:41pm
Since I'm a kid, I've always fancied conical handles more than any others. Nothing feels as comfy as that in my hand for playing pingpong
Starting with a Stiga Kjell Johansson allround wood, I have collected a lot of blades over the years. 
It's time to share a bit :

Thibar has made a few of them. Here is missing IV S which is also supplied in CO

Joola too. Note the funny Rossifire Fetzner tag. Surely a tipo

Of course Butterfly did too, eventhow they are rarer compare to the rest of their wide production

Yes, Nittaku too !

Donic !

The Cresail is handmade substitution

More to come soon with the stiga's

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
Sponsored Links

Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2018 at 1:06pm
Beautiful! I like them because they can work for Cpen players too!
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2018 at 1:18pm
Nice collection.  Thanks for sharing.
dterg View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dterg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2018 at 9:51pm
love some of the brands, some more, some less.
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 12:06pm
Here some more :

I like very much the Avalox P500 conical (right side) , you can see also Blax All+, I am looking for Blax Off (CO) which also exists but still missing in my collection.

Special thumbs up for german blade maker Nebula who builds the most perfect Johansson handles (2 blades or the right an side). The first on the left is Clipper oversized reshaped and custom handled. The second left is a rarity Yasaka Japan with CO handle.

Here comes Stiga :

Conical "Champ" which was released at the begining  of 2010's and now discontinued. Less comfy than Lindh or Johansson but still OK

my "gems". Clipper Johansson (not for sale !) right side. Johansson def left.

Robert Palatinus from OSPblades.com is also a master craftman

Some others to come from Neottec. This company is the only (to my knowledge) to still produce conical handles.

Neottec Hinoki Carbon, plays like a Primorac or Schlager carbon

Edited by Jolan - 06/15/2018 at 1:16pm
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
VSDG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VSDG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 1:19am
How do you find the neottec blades? Are there any with constructions similar to classic blades?
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 2:49am
Clap Very nice blades Thumbs Up
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 3:19am
Originally posted by VSDG VSDG wrote:

How do you find the neottec blades? Are there any with constructions similar to classic blades?

Neottec blades are real bargain. Cheap but high quality. Voodoo feels very much like a Korbel and gamma all+ like former and dearly missing Grubba all+. Hinoki carbon feels like primorac or schlager, balsa carbon like Joola MC1. If you want blades composition, you can go to stervinou blades data base.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
bajusz79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bajusz79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 4:10am
Very nice collection Handshake
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 5:53am
I've spotted my small contribution to your collection. Very nice one!
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 7:29am
thank you for the share.

i do not think i have ever played with a conical blade!
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 7:37am
Conic is "the better flared" Wink
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 10:21am
Tibhar IV-L,   Tibhar IV--S is an unique "asimmetrical" design.   I've been using those for over 20 years.   It feels much like a Naval Cannon in your hand.

And they getting even better with time. So nice, lovely thing.

Edited by igorponger - 05/11/2018 at 2:42am
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2018 at 10:56am

Handmades from BBC Charlie Smith 1 ply cedar, Ian Worz Klondike, TT-DE manufaktur and of course Master Ross Leidy with Soto Vocce and Rapscallion

Edited by Jolan - 05/11/2018 at 3:15pm
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Yenda View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yenda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2021 at 7:50am
Hello, can anybody measure the width and the thickness of the Neottec (or some others - Stiga?) conical handle at the end and also 40 mm from the top of the handle (standard place with most palm grip)?
It could give us better idea about the handle size...
Thank you in advance!
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2021 at 7:57am
BTW, is there a pro player, other than Persson, who used a CO handle?
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2021 at 10:23pm
Hello Jolan,

I hope it's OK to ask the question here. In the following pictures, how close to a conic handle are the ALFA blade and the Lindmae Special? 

ALFA:

Lindmae Special:

Is the following definition of a conic handle alright: "a conic angle is obtained by slightly reducing the width of a ST handle at the top while keeping straight lines from the top to bottom." A sort of flared handle where we fill with wood the space between the top handle corners and its bottom ones to have straight lines between them. If yes, what's the maximum angle before it's not a conic anymore?  what's the minimum angle to make it a CO from a ST.

Are there more factors? like roundness of the handle? I see many roundish CO handles, is that a required feature to make it a CO handle?

Thanks for sharing your collection, I've seen part of it at your shop and I am still amazed. (and still nurturing the friendly chip on my shoulder after those 2 matches Tongue).
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2021 at 2:51am
hello dear friend,
Yes that was a nice moment we spent together.
Your definition of conical handle is 100% accurate.
As for the difference in between your Alfa and the lindmae, I can't say since I don't have Alfa's. Looking at your pics, it seams yours is flat roundish and lindmae is squarer. The Alfa is a real beauty, btw.
It's a long time since I didn't add some pics to this topic although I have added some remarkable pieces to the collection. I'll try to do it in the next few days.
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2021 at 11:20am
One of the most extraordinary blade I've ever seen. 
Stiga super Carbon Johansson :
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2021 at 2:50pm
interresting Hanno Hinoki special limited edition :

Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2021 at 3:02pm
Even  SDC has played the conical game in a 5 Plies top Hinoki blade. ,:
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2021 at 12:08am
(From another post discussing the short-lived “Pro” conic handle  — early 90’s, after Erik Lindh had moved on from Stiga)

Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Originally posted by zzz zzz wrote:

Originally posted by king_pong king_pong wrote:

Recently, Stiga reintroduced the Conic 
handle, with the name on the lens being - "Champ".  I wonder if it is slightly different conic handle, or if it is identical to the old "Lindh/Pro" conic handle.

I think "Champ" and "Lindh/Pro" are not identical. I can only say this due to the assumption that "Lindh/Pro" are the same as OSP's ELcon handle (EL = Erik Lindh). The handle of "Champ" is thinner (24.6mm vs 27.3mm)but slighly wider (31mm vs 30mm). 

Here a pic: 

Ahhh, so "Champ" is like a slightly "squared" or "flattened-out" conical handle.  That was what I had thought from seeing pictures of Stiga bringing the conic handle.  

Now I just wonder what the difference between "Erik Lindh Conic" and "Kjell Johansson Conic".  I have a nice old one of those in my drawer back at home Smile
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/31/2021 at 12:27am
Originally posted by Jolan Jolan wrote:

hello dear friend,
Yes that was a nice moment we spent together.
Your definition of conical handle is 100% accurate.
As for the difference in between your Alfa and the lindmae, I can't say since I don't have Alfa's. Looking at your pics, it seams yours is flat roundish and lindmae is squarer. The Alfa is a real beauty, btw.
It's a long time since I didn't add some pics to this topic although I have added some remarkable pieces to the collection. I'll try to do it in the next few days.
thanks. Since I see more often more roundish conic than flat conic, I tend to see the conic style requiring roundish now.

Here are more pics of that Alfa blade (top 1/4). I own my own iconic conic. It's in a drawer but I think of framing it at some point. I did not do it yet because I feel like an idiot I never glued anything on it.

Yes, you may use the -not yet- trademarked "I own my own iconic conic" as much as you want at no charge. I do not want anything in exchange but having another chance at a game with you (that's not a charge is it?). This time I will come with my real setup, not my vacation one Big smile.

Thank you for all the pictures.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic