FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Surprised with DHS Fang Bo Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Surprised with DHS Fang Bo Carbon
    Posted: 05/08/2018 at 7:17pm
Compared to the Viscaria, the low gears are really slow, a bit like a slightly crispier Korbel, but the high gears are really nice and are closer to Viscaria, which was my blade of choice for 2 years. The main thing with this blade is the control, there is so much control and I feel like slapping 2 MX-P's make it the perfect blade for varied offensive play. 

With MXP and Viscaria, the setup almost felt a bit too hard and I had to boost the MXP in order to make it softer, but that would make the low gear speed way too fast. The FB2 more or less = HL5, and I like it for reasons another may not like it - it is almost like a beginner limba blade with the extra catapult when you hit big strokes, which is ideal apart from at true pro level (where all HL5 users use some sort of ultra boosted Hurricane e.g. CNT, KNT, JNT). 

But for me, pairing it with hard tensors makes for a nice combination! 
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Sponsored Links

jfolsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2018 at 7:54pm
My problem with it was the head size, it's a bit bigger, which adds a lot to weight with rubbers on it. It played fine.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/08/2018 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

My problem with it was the head size, it's a bit bigger, which adds a lot to weight with rubbers on it. It played fine.
Yeah, my Evolutions (71g uncut) are 51g cut. It's my limit but I can just about handle it. Look at Dima! So head heavy
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
Giangt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Giangt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 2:47am
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Which blade are you referring to? The HL5 or FB2? The only version that has a bigger head size is the first edition of HL5 with print on the front face, grey and yellow stripes on the handle. Now they are both 157x150 which are considered as small head size.
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 5:32am
Sounds like the H301 in terms of the gears. Also a very very slow blade all the way through to a very fast one. No 'guarantee bounce" like euro/jap blades or rubbers.

Though as I've said before, I'm not gonna try it because I ain't down with a pink handle
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 9:27am
I played with it for a while until I realized I didn't like the soft touch and lower gear. The control and stiffness I felt were excellent as was the high gear. But due to the softness and slowness of the low gear it felt awkward to pair it with hard rubbers, I use 40 deg DHS on FH and thus there was little feeling for opening loops. Medium rubbers, 45 degree ESN scale should be perfect for this blade. Anyways, I'm back to 5ply hardwood. If you prefer medium rubbers and look for a carbon blade to help you in short game and increase control overall, this is a good choice.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by Hozuki Hozuki wrote:

I played with it for a while until I realized I didn't like the soft touch and lower gear. The control and stiffness I felt were excellent as was the high gear. But due to the softness and slowness of the low gear it felt awkward to pair it with hard rubbers, I use 40 deg DHS on FH and thus there was little feeling for opening loops. Medium rubbers, 45 degree ESN scale should be perfect for this blade. Anyways, I'm back to 5ply hardwood. If you prefer medium rubbers and look for a carbon blade to help you in short game and increase control overall, this is a good choice.
like to offer a different experience: while able to use rubbers like MXP and Rasant Grip, the FB2 was the first blade I was able to use the Rasant Power Grip (hard rubber) on (without the ball falling off sometimes).  I was as well able to use various DHS H3 with the (new) HL5 which has a softer feel than the FB2
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:00am
I own one and liked it but I don't think its a super slow blade at all. It's a bit faster than a RWV but control is way better than most BTY composites because the fibers are closer to the core compared to Viscaria/TB ALC. I don't think the pinkish handle might be the main reason to discard it.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:13am

You should try boosting the DHS! I haven't tried Chinese rubbers on it but unless it's boosted to hell, I think a blade like Viscaria will be more suited to it :)

As you say, hardish tensors like MX-P are good because the synergy is nice whereas I imagine a playing with a brick rubber on a soft blade will feel very weird indeed.

I really like this blade as I'm surprised the touch is so much like my old 95g Korbel, just a tiny bit sharper due to some interaction with the ALC layer :) whereas the touch game is okay with the Viscaria but for someone playing once a week (twice during non exam period), it is rather hard to keep balls sharp in matches unless you train sufficiently... A game of tradeoffs but if pros like ML, FB or Lee sang su find the limba innerforce blades good to use (despite their uber boosted rubbers), then I shall adapt!
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

like to offer a different experience: while able to use rubbers like MXP and Rasant Grip, the FB2 was the first blade I was able to use the Rasant Power Grip (hard rubber) on (without the ball falling off sometimes).  I was as well able to use various DHS H3 with the (new) HL5 which has a softer feel than the FB2
I'm pretty sure that the softer nature of the HL5 would be due to batch variation. They seem like they are made in the same production line? In fact my FB2 had less ALC layers protruding out of the blade (which is so annoying, the W968's are the worst as they are non-commercial)

Yes, playing with unboosted rubbers at 47-48 deg is really hard with koto alc blades for me, I can easily tame the MX-P with this limba innerforce FB2.

Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:16am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I own one and liked it but I don't think its a super slow blade at all. It's a bit faster than a RWV but control is way better than most BTY composites because the fibers are closer to the core compared to Viscaria/TB ALC. I don't think the pinkish handle might be the main reason to discard it.
It's not super slow, unless you want it to be (when you don't engage the ALC layer or barely, it becomes like a sharp Korbel). At the medium/top gears it is way faster!

If you are that desperate to preserve your masculinity (to make up for other factors possibly?), then there is the DHS PG5 (cheaper) and HL5 (dearer) which use the same composition.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Lightzy Lightzy wrote:

Sounds like the H301 in terms of the gears. Also a very very slow blade all the way through to a very fast one. No 'guarantee bounce" like euro/jap blades or rubbers.

Though as I've said before, I'm not gonna try it because I ain't down with a pink handle
The H301 seems interesting and very good, but I wanted to get away from koto to limba, as I remember how good I used to play with MX-P on my Michael Maze. Of course, I wanted to test the innerforce structure, and seems good so far. Not sure how it will be in match play as my strokes are fast, but are my strokes fast enough to fully engage the ALC layer? Opportunity cost that will have to be tested soon

Again, the pink handle isn't a reason to discard the blade, are you one of those men who refuse to do anything feminine because it will make people question your masculinity? There is always grip tape 
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:37am
"I'm pretty sure that the softer nature of the HL5 would be due to batch variation. They seem like they are made in the same production line? "  Could be but I was advised (by ML Fan I think) that the HL5 had a slightly softer feel before I experienced the same.  The HL5 top layer is of better quality cut.

Edited by tom - 05/09/2018 at 10:37am
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 10:51am

"I'm pretty sure that the softer nature of the HL5 would be due to batch variation. They seem like they are made in the same production line? "  Could be but I was advised (by ML Fan I think) that the HL5 had a slightly softer feel before I experienced the same.  The HL5 top layer is of better quality cut.
Hmm, could be. Of course the HL5 is better quality, it's probably like the national/prov/commercial process but instead of cutting the sheets closer they choose better wood maybe.

I guess it suits me as I prefer it to be less soft as I'm coming from koto. That said, I would be apprehensive as, at the end of the day, they both use the exact same wood type. Maybe a difference in thickness not sure but, could just be anecdotal what ML Fan said which I guessed is due to variation or even the way they make both blades (as you said it's not exactly the same production line)
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 11:26am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Hmm, could be. Of course the HL5 is better quality, it's probably like the national/prov/commercial process but instead of cutting the sheets closer they choose better wood maybe.

I guess it suits me as I prefer it to be less soft as I'm coming from koto. That said, I would be apprehensive as, at the end of the day, they both use the exact same wood type. Maybe a difference in thickness not sure but, could just be anecdotal what ML Fan said which I guessed is due to variation or even the way they make both blades (as you said it's not exactly the same production line)
nothing wrong with preference of of FB2 over HL5
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 11:57am

"I<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">'m pretty sure that the softer nature of the HL5 would be due to batch variation. They seem like they are made in the same production line? "  Could be but I was advised (by ML Fan I think) that the HL5 had a slightly softer feel before I experienced the same.  The HL5 top layer is of better quality cut.</span>

What do you think makes the FB2 harder if the composition is the same?

I'm going to training now and I'll report more findings after :)

If I was training 2-3 times a week I'd keep using my viscaria but the superior low gear control it what makes me like this!

Edited by SmackDAT - 05/09/2018 at 11:57am
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 12:12pm

"I<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">'m pretty sure that the softer nature of the HL5 would be due to batch variation. They seem like they are made in the same production line? "  Could be but I was advised (by ML Fan I think) that the HL5 had a slightly softer feel before I experienced the same.  The HL5 top layer is of better quality cut.</span>

What do you think makes the FB2 harder if the composition is the same?

I'm going to training now and I'll report more findings after :)

If I was training 2-3 times a week I'd keep using my viscaria but the superior low gear control it what makes me like this!

no idea on exactly why but could be the quantity / quality of the wood or composite
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 5:45pm

You should try boosting the DHS! I haven't tried Chinese rubbers on it but unless it's boosted to hell, I think a blade like Viscaria will be more suited to it :)

As you say, hardish tensors like MX-P are good because the synergy is nice whereas I imagine a playing with a brick rubber on a soft blade will feel very weird indeed.

Yes, I tried an old sheet of TG2 39 deg on it, but it was only soft enough for FB2 after olive oil boosting (usually I use seamoon, but bottle was empty then). I feel those limba outer innerforce blades need a heavily boosted rubber, if you want to use hard rubbers. And I agree, harder blades, with outer carbon work much better with harder rubbers.

I also played MX-P on the FB2 and it was ok hardness-wise. But harder than 47.5 deg I would not recommend. I feel 45 should be the sweetspot with this blade.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/09/2018 at 7:46pm
Larger head size tames fast composites a bit.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Larger head size tames fast composites a bit.
I think FB 2 has 157x150 standard? 51g cut vs 50g on Visc so it's similar
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2018 at 5:59pm
any comparison with 729 v-6?
they have same composition except center ply which is kiri in the 729 blade.
that could give it a bit more spice.
thelooper12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelooper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 11:48am
I’ve been experimenting with the Bo Carbon for the past few weeks.
Found that it plays particularly (extremely) well with “soft”rubbers.

In particular, I’ll point out that it plays really well when paired with Gold Arc 8 in 47.5d (DO NOT BOOST), and also my boosted one month old sheet of MX-P. I’d also say that the feeling of these two rubbers is better on the Bo than the Viscaria. I also believe it will pair really well with new sheets of MXP.

I’m also curious on how does the H301 plays, does anyone own both?
MS Zaku View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MS Zaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 12:55pm
I have used Fang Bo Carbon (Cpen) with Battle II Pro FH / Gold Arc 5 BH for over 2 seasons. Currently using DHS H301 with same FH rubber but Moon Speed on the BH.

The difference I found is that H301 is a bit softer, a bit easier to generate spin (got a bit more flex than FB Carbon) and a bit more higher throw than FB Carbon. Speed wise is very close... but I think H301 is a bit faster in the mid to long range.... close to the table FB Carbon seems faster and more direct.

Blocking wise FB Carbon feel better straight away.. take me awhile to get use to blocking with H301.

Since I still have my old set up I sometimes grab the FB Carbon and see if my initial assessment were any different... 6 months into my current set up... not much else I can add other than which style of game play suit the player more..

If you block a lot.. I think FB Carbon is better suited. Regardless both blade plays fantastically given the prize range its at.

jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 2:16pm
It would be nice to read some reviews of PG5.  It´s supposed to be the slowest of all, but there´s barely any info about it :(

IMO, I also think FB2 might suit better on softer sponges 44-45º . I consider MXP too hard and demanding for most of us on that blade. 

Edited by jonyer1980 - 05/14/2018 at 2:17pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 2:20pm
How hard FB Carbon is compared to H301? I found H301 too soft even with ESN 50º both sides.
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/15/2018 at 12:34am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

It would be nice to read some reviews of PG5.  It´s supposed to be the slowest of all, but there´s barely any info about it :(

IMO, I also think FB2 might suit better on softer sponges 44-45º . I consider MXP too hard and demanding for most of us on that blade. 
MXP is very well tamed on FB2, it is very fast but it's got a lot of control and doesn't feel too hard unlike when it is on Viscaria
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by thelooper12 thelooper12 wrote:

I’ve been experimenting with the Bo Carbon for the past few weeks.
Found that it plays particularly (extremely) well with “soft”rubbers.

In particular, I’ll point out that it plays really well when paired with Gold Arc 8 in 47.5d (DO NOT BOOST), and also my boosted one month old sheet of MX-P. I’d also say that the feeling of these two rubbers is better on the Bo than the Viscaria. I also believe it will pair really well with new sheets of MXP.

I’m also curious on how does the H301 plays, does anyone own both?

How is the feel compared to stiff blades like clipper or  carbonado.190?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic