Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Redeeming a moldy rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caballero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caballero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redeeming a moldy rubber?
    Posted: 05/12/2018 at 1:04pm
Hi all
Do you know if there is any way to save a rubber that has contracted mold, like in the picture below? 

Found it hidden out of place and I want to make sure it can still be saved before tossing it out. I doubt it but want to make sure. Any ideas?Lamp

Cheers

Dennis
Hurray for independent blade-makers:

Leidy's Rapscallion
Charlie's 1Ply & 9-10-9
American Hinoki's WRC Quantum 3-ply

Feedback Caballero
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2018 at 1:43pm
wash it
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
caballero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caballero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/12/2018 at 4:05pm
Hi SmackDAT
Thanks. I did as you suggested for two of the rubbers I found with mold. I cleaned them with soap and water only, and then put it outside for 5 minutes. The sunlight was indirect and not too strong. 

The results surprised me. One returned to fully functional and nice, free of mold. However, the second one did not. The mold left marks, which I take to render the rubber damaged. 

The one restored is a Hexer. The one damaged is a Donic. Could it have been the type of fungi? They were found in different places. 

Hexer

Donic

Edited by caballero - 05/12/2018 at 4:06pm

Leidy's Rapscallion
Charlie's 1Ply & 9-10-9

Feedback Caballero
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2018 at 4:14am
it isn't fungi, it was caused by another rubber faced to it and absorbed its oil (that we call booster nowadays). It was not only moldy but uneven in surface.
 If you don't have that kind of reviver oil, then there is noway to clean out.
An alternative remedy for this, is fish oil, but not very effective.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2018 at 4:28pm
Try a counter wipe that contains a little Chlorox.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/13/2018 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by caballero caballero wrote:

Hi SmackDAT
Thanks. I did as you suggested for two of the rubbers I found with mold. I cleaned them with soap and water only, and then put it outside for 5 minutes. The sunlight was indirect and not too strong. 

The results surprised me. One returned to fully functional and nice, free of mold. However, the second one did not. The mold left marks, which I take to render the rubber damaged. 

The one restored is a Hexer. The one damaged is a Donic. Could it have been the type of fungi? They were found in different places. 

Hexer

Donic

Congrats, and I'm not sure if it's mold, but if it is, it looks like it's really hard to get off. To be honest, just wash it vigorously every day for a week and if it doesn't fix, then bin it :) good luck
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
taczkid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taczkid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 2:07pm
i am wondering if Tire Cleaner would work, it might... I would try that before tossing the rubber to garbage :-)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by taczkid taczkid wrote:

i am wondering if Tire Cleaner would work, it might... I would try that before tossing the rubber to garbage :-)

I once put some of that on a rubber, many years ago.  It turned it into anti-spin.
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/14/2018 at 8:09pm
I'm unsure what is on your rubber but I have used a table tennis rubber cleaner 
on rubber with mold on and that worked 
(I believe it was the Kokutaku mist spray type)
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
caballero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caballero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 8:24pm
I wish to understand better the science behind these rubbers. Why some react differently to mildew, olive oil, soap, etc? And why chemicals like tire cleaners kill the spin? Embarrassed

What can help rejuvenate our rubbers? 

As suggested, after almost two weeks of cleaning with a bit of soap and water, the Hexer continues to look good while the Donic is definitively damaged. It is not difficult to assume quality may have something to do with the differences. But who knows?

Leidy's Rapscallion
Charlie's 1Ply & 9-10-9

Feedback Caballero
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic