FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sponge thickness and lifting underspin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sponge thickness and lifting underspin
    Posted: 05/17/2018 at 6:49am
Is MAX thickness sponge, better for lifting underspin ?
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
Sponsored Links

SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 7:20am
Yes, more dwell :)
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 11:17am
I would say it's actually easier to lift and get the ball over with something less spinny aka thinner sponge.  However your shot will be heavier if you can do it with thick.  Am I wrong?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 11:28am
yes you are wrong. If there is a lot of spin you have to overcome it which is easier with a thicker sponge.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 1:16pm
Overcome backspin?

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 1:30pm
Actually I think it's a combination of topsheet and sponge and how well they deform together, so probably a thick sponge works better to get heavy spin, but at low and medium end the sponge thickness shouldn't really effect it as much.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 4:14pm
so is it easier to lift underspin with pips?

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 4:58pm
With pips there is not enough surface area in contact with ball and not enough friction?
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 5:16pm
sp/ thinner sponge easier to hit through. thicker easier to spin over? just get a year old rubber you wont even feel the underspin
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2018 at 5:20pm
This is a good question and I'm not entirely sure but I feel like if we're talking about the 1.7mm thickness and up range then it doesn't really matter. Let's say you have 2 sheets of the same rubber; one is 1.8mm and the other is 2.2mm. Both of those rubbers are probably thick enough to not bottom out when attack underspin.

Bottoming out tends to be a problem only on counterloops or at least counterattacking attacks (such as  counterattacking drives, a no spin pips attack, or any other incoming attack). So my guess is that as long as the sponge doesn't bottom out when attacking underspin, which never really happens, sponge thickness doesn't matter as long as all other variables remain the same.

Again, I need to stress that I could be wrong and there might be things I haven't taken into consideration.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 12:53pm
Generally speaking the spinnier the rubber is, the more important it is that you are swinging faster than the ball is spinning down to get the lift.

I'm sure folks are posting from an advanced perspective, but from a general perspective I think the less a racket feels spin the more the player can lift the ball successfully.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Generally speaking the spinnier the rubber is, the more important it is that you are swinging faster than the ball is spinning down to get the lift.

I'm sure folks are posting from an advanced perspective, but from a general perspective I think the less a racket feels spin the more the player can lift the ball successfully.

Yes, that would make it easier but what I'm proposing is that, assuming the rubber is the same and all other variables are the same, once a minimum thickness is reached (I proposed 1.7mm but it's fairly rubber dependent), looping backspin close to the table will be very similar to the point where it shouldn't have a humanly perceivable difference.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 5:51pm
Used 2mm exclusively for over 3 years, I had a major improvement in my backhand after changing to max. I certainly found it much easier lifting with max but to each their own.
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Yes, that would make it easier but what I'm proposing is that, assuming the rubber is the same and all other variables are the same, once a minimum thickness is reached (I proposed 1.7mm but it's fairly rubber dependent), looping backspin close to the table will be very similar to the point where it shouldn't have a humanly perceivable difference.

I agree. I wasn't specifically addressing your assertion though, even though my post directly followed yours.

nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2018 at 9:39pm
If the rubber has a hard topsheet, then I suppose the change in sponge thickness won't affect it much when it comes to lifting underpin. Soft topsheets however take the sponges help to get that ball over the net, so the more the sponge, the better. I havnt tried much thickness variations, so this is opinion after a short experience only.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Stavros Stavros wrote:

it depends the throw of the blade and rubber
Stavros View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

:( same blade, same rubber
InfinityVPS   -   D80   -   D05
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 3:30pm
THE POWER OF PIPS.

The power of pips. Cheung Yuk using short pips.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 3:31pm

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

:( same blade, same rubber
bbkon is misinformed.

All variables controlled, thicker = easier to lift 100%. Both anecdotally and im sure someone can scientifically prove this if needed.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

THE POWER OF PIPS.

The power of pips. Cheung Yuk using short pips.

Incorrect. Cheung Yuk uses inverted rubber.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2018 at 5:09pm
Underspin balls are easier to lift with softer rubber and grippier topsheet.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 8:28am
If your arm speed is faster than the backspin

Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/20/2018 at 9:28am

If your arm speed is faster than the backspin

+1
That's what I was going to say
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic