FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Jike Zhang

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jike Zhang
    Posted: 06/09/2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

More than anything else the plastic ball ruined Zhang Jike's career.

I think he shouldnt have played doubled in 2015
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2018 at 9:38am

Yeah that's a huge reason too, he's a spin based player and the plastic ball allows his opponents to hit through the spin with much more consistency...which means he often has to rally from a more uncomfortable position of being jammed by speedy counters.
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2018 at 8:00am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Tibhar Akkad
FH: Fastarc G1 2.0 B
BH: Fastarc G1 2.0 R
Lumberjack TT
No train. Just tricks.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2018 at 6:04am
Originally posted by shinchan1506217 shinchan1506217 wrote:

His back is worrying me...Cry

Yeah yikes it was painful to watch.... I think this has to do with his extreme forward bend at the waist along with the upper body explosiveness which is sometimes out of sync with his lower body when he does his close-table FH power loops that were so lethal back when he was in his prime form. Now I can see why Ma Long's, Wang Liqin's and FZD's form on the FH is much healthier, the arm is relaxed and follows the waist turn naturally (albeit less explosive and slower, not necessarily less powerful). I believe lots of players which rely more on the upper body for the FH powerloop (Timo Boll, Maze come into mind) have all got injuries in their lower backs at some stage.  

ZJK must have realised that mid-match that he was regressing to his old habits, because after that he started taking a step back from the table when moving towards the FH, so that he has a bit more time to play his FH's in a healthier way (use more waist turn with a fuller stroke). 
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2018 at 2:39am
Originally posted by shinchan1506217 shinchan1506217 wrote:

Yes, muscles problem or sciatic nerve.......anyway it hurts and it will hurt more some hours after this match...if he wins it, he will probably withdraw from this tournament.
Victas matsushita off, Fastarc G-1 max, S § T Hellfire 1mm, Japsko Glued
shinchan1506217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2018 at 2:23am
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2018 at 1:17am
Wow he's back! 
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:48pm
15-13 in the seventh for zjk
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:30pm
3-3
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:24pm
3-2 for zjk
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:20pm
zjk , ljk 2-2
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 8:03pm

Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

I respectfully disagree as JO had significant period time of dorminance and actually FZD has been dorminant for quite some time against anyone except ML. You don’t have to have 100 percent wining records to be dorminant.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here.  When was this dominant time of Waldner? When he was losing to Atanda Musa and John Onifade at the World Cup? When he lost to Ma Lin on 1999 or Johnny Huang in 1996? When Gatien was winning the world title in 1993?  He isn't listed as having the same continental success as say Timo Boll and had only one World Cup.  Zhang Jike has 2.  He has 2 WTTC years apart, Zhang Jike has 2 consecutive. 

By any standard of dominant other than Ma Long, Zhang Jike was dominant.  His dominant years were 2011 to 2013.  That he wasn't easily considered the best player in the world is Ma Longs fault not Zhang Jike.

Gatien winning in 1993 was a really interesting case of "styles make fights".  The two semifinals were Gatien against Primorac and Waldner against Saive.  At the time, JM Saive was just about the only player with a winning record against Waldner.  I bet Gatien who really struggled with Waldner was pretty happy to see him in the other semi-final.  Saive was an absolutely looping machine with a spinny BH loop that never missed.  Waldner was notorious for having issues with people with strong backhands and, more importantly, with people who had good service return.  In those hey days, Waldner dominated everyone with his service game.  Except for Saive.  Saive's return game was wildy unimaginative and seemed to be custom tailored to piss of JO.  At the time Saive was playing with that weird super soft Joola Samba rubber (livened with half a liter of glue before the match) that had very little spin sensitivity on soft contact, but good mechanical spin if you dug into the sponge.  When JO gave him a short serve, Saive dropped it short or half-long and got ready to counterloop.  When JO gave him a long serve, Saive looped it.  During the rally, Saive made it a point to not step around, so Waldner did not have a wide open FH corner to exploit.

Still, it was a pretty competitive match, but Saive had the superior strategy.

Despite losing to Gatien in the final (Gatien was just too fast that year), Saive went one to be the best player in the world through 1994 and a good portion of 1995.  Gatien peaked at the right time, but was never able to repeat his 1993 exploits. 

ILya
Stiga Allround Bengtsson
FH: T05H, black, 2.1
BH: T05R, red, 2.1
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 11:32am

Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

I am going for a long shot (at this point of ZJK's comeback) that he will win the next two matches
then he will lose to Yoshimura K.

Wait. You think that someone can best Liang Jingkun and lose to Yoshimura K? Do we live in the twilight zone? Or you are just making a joke without looking at the bracket.

I said long shot, obviously he might not win the 2nd match , nothing is based on the recent past, and this is for Yoshimura as well.  

Seems you knew a lot of things I didn't.  WCT beating LJK and Koki Niwa getting killed by Kazuhiro.... only the second one seemed to last....

the Yoshimura K. prediction is dead, but the first part is still possible
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 12:54am

I am going for a long shot (at this point of ZJK's comeback) that he will win the next two matches

Wait. You think that someone can best Liang Jingkun and lose to Yoshimura K? Do we live in the twilight zone? Or you are just making a joke without looking at the bracket.

I said long shot, obviously he might not win the 2nd match , nothing is based on the recent past, and this is for Yoshimura as well.  

Seems you knew a lot of things I didn't.  WCT beating LJK and Koki Niwa getting killed by Kazuhiro.... only the second one seemed to last....

Edited by NextLevel - 06/08/2018 at 1:22am
Tibhar Akkad
Lumberjack TT
No train. Just tricks.
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 9:02pm

blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

A couple of points:

-There is clearly a definition problem in what is considered to be a "dominant" player.  If you are expected to win every match and you do vast majority of the time, you are dominant player.  Naturally, you can have more than one dominant player at any given time.  For example, between 2011 and now, we really had two dominant players: Ma Long and Zhang Jike, with FZD seemingly joining the club as well. I am not going to get into this a whole lot beyond that, since the argument is ridiculous on its face when we are talking about a guy who is an Olympic champion and a two time world champion.  That does not happen when an also-ran athlete eat more Wheaties before a big tournament.  You can win one major tournament if everything aligns just right (Schalger and RSM, for example), but not two world championships.

-While speculating about ZJK's comeback is very entertaining, we havn't the foggiest idea why he is doing it and how it is going to go.  It might all end quickly, or he might climb into top ten again.  I remember I was talking to Stellan after the 2008 Olympics and he told me about a conversation he had with Jorgen Persson about a year before.  Jorgen who was retired and coaching at the time called him and said that he is beginning to train again because he want to play in the Beijing Olympics and he thinks he can do well.  Apparently, everyone told Jorgen that he was delusional and off his meds.  Persson told everyone to go take a long walk on a short pier and kept practicing.  Then he came in fourth in Beijing, losing to Wang Hao in the semi-finals and Wang Liqin in the bronze medal match.  That ain't bad for a 42 year old guy coming out of retirement. 

I do not think any one of us here, possibly excepting Danny Seemiller, were ever in any danger of coming in among the top 4 in the Olympics in any sport.  Everyone was making fun of Jorgen, but he saw something that made him think he can do it, and he was right.  It is no tall hubris.  These guys understand competition in the ways most of us simply don't.

Final thought on Zhang Jike's game.  When in his prime, aside from the Chiquita loop and other obvious things, he probably had the best short game in the world overall.  Very competitive serve and an almost unrivalled service return.  That is what made the rest of his game so effective.  All the crazy counterloops are beautiful to look at, but they mean nothing without an effective short game.  There were a few other things, but this one is a biggie.  Right name, his table game is not up to snuff to his old standards, but it seems to be cleaning up as he is getting more matches under his belt.

Give him a couple more tournaments and see how his short game settles down.  That will define how well his comeback progresses.

ILya

Finally an unbiased technical look at the game. I believe everyone is underestimating ZJK here, he doesn't seem to be injured now and once he gets his control over the short game, he would be a top 10 player easily...what made ZJK so dangerous in his prime wasn't necessarily his rallying skills but his immense control and ability to completely shut down his opponent's game by not giving any good opportunities to initiate any attacks, making his opponents feel frustrated and helpless. The only rival he has in this department is Ma Long who's shown the ability to shutdown a player like Fan Zhendong consistently!

Table tennis is so much more than BH and FH topspin guys....
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 6:26pm

Edited by NextLevel - 06/07/2018 at 6:27pm
Tibhar Akkad
Lumberjack TT
No train. Just tricks.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

A couple of points:

-There is clearly a definition problem in what is considered to be a "dominant" player.  If you are expected to win every match and you do vast majority of the time, you are dominant player.  Naturally, you can have more than one dominant player at any given time.  For example, between 2011 and now, we really had two dominant players: Ma Long and Zhang Jike, with FZD seemingly joining the club as well. I am not going to get into this a whole lot beyond that, since the argument is ridiculous on its face when we are talking about a guy who is an Olympic champion and a two time world champion.  That does not happen when an also-ran athlete eat more Wheaties before a big tournament.  You can win one major tournament if everything aligns just right (Schalger and RSM, for example), but not two world championships.

-While speculating about ZJK's comeback is very entertaining, we havn't the foggiest idea why he is doing it and how it is going to go.  It might all end quickly, or he might climb into top ten again.  I remember I was talking to Stellan after the 2008 Olympics and he told me about a conversation he had with Jorgen Persson about a year before.  Jorgen who was retired and coaching at the time called him and said that he is beginning to train again because he want to play in the Beijing Olympics and he thinks he can do well.  Apparently, everyone told Jorgen that he was delusional and off his meds.  Persson told everyone to go take a long walk on a short pier and kept practicing.  Then he came in fourth in Beijing, losing to Wang Hao in the semi-finals and Wang Liqin in the bronze medal match.  That ain't bad for a 42 year old guy coming out of retirement. 

I do not think any one of us here, possibly excepting Danny Seemiller, were ever in any danger of coming in among the top 4 in the Olympics in any sport.  Everyone was making fun of Jorgen, but he saw something that made him think he can do it, and he was right.  It is no tall hubris.  These guys understand competition in the ways most of us simply don't.

Final thought on Zhang Jike's game.  When in his prime, aside from the Chiquita loop and other obvious things, he probably had the best short game in the world overall.  Very competitive serve and an almost unrivalled service return.  That is what made the rest of his game so effective.  All the crazy counterloops are beautiful to look at, but they mean nothing without an effective short game.  There were a few other things, but this one is a biggie.  Right name, his table game is not up to snuff to his old standards, but it seems to be cleaning up as he is getting more matches under his belt.

Give him a couple more tournaments and see how his short game settles down.  That will define how well his comeback progresses.

ILya

chinese coaches will never take a older player on the main team only in countries where you cant ger enough talents

Were the older players the best players? Were they Ma Long and Zhang Jike?

The fact that Liu Guozheng is coaching Zhang Jike says a lot that people seem to be blind to.
Tibhar Akkad
Lumberjack TT
No train. Just tricks.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 4:42pm

A couple of points:

ILya

chinese coaches will never take a older player on the main team only in countries where you cant ger enough talents
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 1:00pm
A couple of points:

ILya
Stiga Allround Bengtsson
FH: T05H, black, 2.1
BH: T05R, red, 2.1
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 10:18am

tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 10:14am
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 9:27am
On relevant note, looks like ZJK is back to be Mr. "11:9" when he beat Lin. I was wrong in the prediction and am not gonna predict how he's gonna do vs. stronger opposition, though very interested to see.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 9:23am

During 2011and 13, ZJK was ranked no. 1 for only a few months. Despite his big titles, that shows he was not dorminant at the time.

No no no. You can't say something like that. It doesn't make any sense.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 8:15am
I think this is also relevant. This was after the loss to Harimoto.

interview

Edited by NextLevel - 06/07/2018 at 8:16am
Tibhar Akkad
Lumberjack TT
No train. Just tricks.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/07/2018 at 2:51am

During 2011and 13, ZJK was ranked no. 1 for only a few months. Despite his big titles, that shows he was not dorminant at the time.

Because Ma Long was the only player in the world who could beat him? This is getting ridiculous. He lost a lot of matches that didn't matter as did Waldner and other great players. But he was almost never ranked below anyone but his teammates. If you are a top player who loses to the Same top players over and over, you are a dominant player who lost to more dominant players. Even If you are only ranked #5. Because it means that If 1-4 did not exist, you would have been a dominant #1.

Edited by NextLevel - 06/07/2018 at 2:55am
Tibhar Akkad
Lumberjack TT
No train. Just tricks.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 7:16pm

==========================

Zhang Jike ranking history:
Ranked as #1 for 7 months. (In 2012).
https://tabletennis.guide/alldata.php?name=jike-zhang-110553
=====

Ma Long ranking history:
Ranked as #1 too many time, I did not count them.
Beginning in January 2018, the new ITTF ranking system knocked out
Ma Long as #1.  (We all know Ma Long is still real #1 in 2018.)
https://tabletennis.guide/alldata.php?name=long-ma-105649

Edited by skip3119 - 06/06/2018 at 7:19pm
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 6:25pm
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

Some one is walking the same path as jackwong23 LOL.

Only with 50% more spin.
True that!  The 50% more spin account for being a grand slam winner and being #7 in the world Smile.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 4:34pm

I respectfully disagree as JO had significant period time of dorminance and actually FZD has been dorminant for quite some time against anyone except ML. You don’t have to have 100 percent wining records to be dorminant.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here.  When was this dominant time of Waldner? When he was losing to Atanda Musa and John Onifade at the World Cup? When he lost to Ma Lin on 1999 or Johnny Huang in 1996? When Gatien was winning the world title in 1993?  He isn't listed as having the same continental success as say Timo Boll and had only one World Cup.  Zhang Jike has 2.  He has 2 WTTC years apart, Zhang Jike has 2 consecutive. 

By any standard of dominant other than Ma Long, Zhang Jike was dominant.  His dominant years were 2011 to 2013.  That he wasn't easily considered the best player in the world is Ma Longs fault not Zhang Jike.
Tibhar Akkad
Lumberjack TT
No train. Just tricks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic