FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Jike Zhang

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jike Zhang
    Posted: 05/21/2018 at 9:32am
Earlier I saw that he entered the China Open.
Now I see he is in Hang Seng Hong Kong Open too.
He is not seeded, will have to play in the qualification group.

Two World Tours in a row, Jike Zhang is really back in business where he once excelled.
(No one can force him to play unless he wants to.)

Edited by skip3119 - 05/21/2018 at 9:48am
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2018 at 10:01am
I'm very much looking forward to seeing where he's at.  The Hong Kong tournament is definitely winnable if he's in good form.  WCT and LSS are the two highest rated players for this tourney.  
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2018 at 8:50pm
Man, just found out Jike Zhang would be in Japan Open also.
3 World Tours in a raw.  (Hang Seng Hong Kong Open, China Open, and Japan Open.)
I have not checked events far into the future yet.
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/21/2018 at 10:52pm
Let's hope his back is healthy enough.  How long was he out?

ILya
Stiga Allround Bengtsson
FH: T05H, black, 2.1
BH: T05R, red, 2.1
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 1:04am
His last chance.....because other players are pushing to get their chances competing internationaly....a few places for thousand of players...look at Xu Ruifeng, the last Thai Open winner.
Victas matsushita off, Fastarc G-1 max, S § T Hellfire 1mm, Japsko Glued
speedglue View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedglue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 1:38am
This is pointing a little bit early to Tokyo, one last time and good bye for good, him and his bro at the very top again right before retirement, warming up and testing the waters he is right now (?), drama at its best going on. The man still got it!

Edited by speedglue - 07/22/2018 at 11:15pm
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 1:51am
Right now, ZJK as a CNT head coach would do better than him playing, this is like Waldner/Persson business, “I can so I do”, and generations of talents don’t get to see the light... sad I say.
Thomasson View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 5:15am
Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

His last chance.....because other players are pushing to get their chances competing internationaly....a few places for thousand of players...look at Xu Ruifeng, the last Thai Open winner.

Do you honestly believe Xu Ruifeng is even close to the level of ZJK?
His style is unique and looks a bit weird, so my judgement might be wrong. I however dont think he will ever be able to compete with the worlds best, especially because of his footwork.

Blade: TB ALC
FH: Tenergy05 2.1
BH: Tenergy64 1.7
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 7:01am
Originally posted by speedglue speedglue wrote:

This is pointing a little bit early to Tokyo, one last time and good bye for good, him and his bro at the very top again right before retirement, warming up and testing the waters he is right now (?), drama at its best going on. The man still got it!

That's extremely optimistic.  There's 2 spots for singles at the Olympics.  Right now they would go to Ma Long and Fan Zhendong.  Good to see ZJK playing again and the Tokyo Olympics is still 2 years away, but I don't see him besting either of those guys.
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Thomasson Thomasson wrote:

Originally posted by kakapo kakapo wrote:

Do you honestly believe Xu Ruifeng is even close to the level of ZJK?
His style is unique and looks a bit weird, so my judgement might be wrong. I however dont think he will ever be able to compete with the worlds best, especially because of his footwork.

Of course not but I just wanted to say that even "unknown" Chinese players are able to win tournaments and competition is hard in China.Places are limited and ZJK got already plenty chances which he missed.
Also,...Who knows, maybe Xu Ruifeng is better than ZJK now.
Victas matsushita off, Fastarc G-1 max, S § T Hellfire 1mm, Japsko Glued
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 11:22am
Xu Ruifeng won the Thai Open alright, but I am not impressed.
He has only one shot - stands still there and attacks with his BH.
Even that shot does not impress me at all.

ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 10:22am
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Xu Ruifeng won the Thai Open alright, but I am not impressed.
He has only one shot - stands still there and attacks with his BH.
Even that shot does not impress me at all.

LOL his style is quite good for amateurs to imitate actually.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 4:24pm
I never watch Xu Ruifeng's match before. Since someone in here said that he could push ZJK down a spot at CNT, I went to youtube. I believe Xu is a CNT's imitate player (that Korean player, I forget his name). CNT threw him a bone because he was a good teammate LOL

Edited by Egghead - 05/23/2018 at 4:53pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 4:40pm
Really enjoy this match, hadn't heard of Stoyanov before but thought his style was interesting to watch, lots of unusual shots thrown in along with interesting serves and receives. I wonder if Stoyanov has a good serve (relatively speaking) or if Zhang Jike was misreading them because he lacked match practice. 

Also interesting to see how effective long serves can be at pro level. 

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 8:06pm

At times in the match, briefly, he looked like the old Jike. It doesn't look like to me he has fully adapted to the plastic ball, his celluloid instincts keep kicking in.
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 1:06am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

At times in the match, briefly, he looked like the old Jike. It doesn't look like to me he has fully adapted to the plastic ball, his celluloid instincts keep kicking in.

^This is on spot. Anyone reached a certain level of table tennis will know how quality of a comment it is. 
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:41am
He played well, just needs to get some more real game action to increase his speed just a little bit.
Training is always different from real action
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:46am

Whether or not that is true is up for debate, but either way, if he cannot adapt after this long of a time that becomes a valid criticism of him as a player rather than a legitimate excuse anymore. It's not like everyone else hasn't had to adapt. 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:58am
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

^This is on spot. Anyone reached a certain level of table tennis will know how quality of a comment it is. 

Except for anyone who reached a "certain level" after the ball change, or anyone who just naturally adapted and doesn't want to excuse a loss because of something they've had several years to adjust to. All this comes down to is how much someone thinks they understand matchplay way out of their league, and how much of an excuse they will make for their favorite players.
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:02am
After I watched the first match of his comeback I knew we were not going to see the old ZJK just the one of the past couple years. He is still a good player just not good enough for CNT. The plastic ball has nothing to do with his decline its just age and injury.
Kenta ALC T05H/T05
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:02am
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Except for anyone who reached a "certain level" after the ball change, or anyone who just naturally adapted and doesn't want to excuse a loss because of something they've had several years to adjust to. All this comes down to is how much someone thinks they understand matchplay way out of their league, and how much of an excuse they will make for their favorite players.

Ridiculous
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:16am
It would be great if he signed up for the Bundesliga for one season.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:27am

Ridiculous

Yes, I suppose Maharu Yoshimura didn't have to adjust to the ball change? Maybe tell me which part of my post was ridiculous and why?

Edited by bard romance - 05/24/2018 at 11:29am
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:36am

Ridiculous

Correction. I mean ridiculous to those who said zhang jike didnt have time to adjust. 
If Zhang jike still cant adjust after so long and you people still think its because of injury, i feel you guys shd say zhang jike shd quit and stop playing. 

Edited by proSpin - 05/24/2018 at 11:42am
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:37am

Generally Speaking, the plastic ball adjustment period has hurt strong backhand players while helping the weaker backhand players.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:37am

Yes, I suppose Maharu Yoshimura didn't have to adjust to the ball change? Maybe tell me which part of my post was ridiculous and why?
=============
Your earlier post and this one are spot on, I don't see anything ridiculous at all.
proSpin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proSpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:38am
Why cant anyone just admit younger players get better and the older ones just couldn't handle them anymore. 
Get real guys.

Stop blaming the adjustments and injury. Its 2018. 

Edited by proSpin - 05/24/2018 at 11:41am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:48am

Generally Speaking, the plastic ball adjustment period has hurt strong backhand players while helping the weaker backhand players.

Yes, it has really hurt players with great backhands like Dima, Calderano, Harimoto, Kallberg, Pitchford, Gnanasekaran. Oh wait...what else do those guys have in common? 

I suppose the reason Waldner and Samsonov aren't dominating is because they haven't fully adjusted to the 40, or 40+ mm ball...
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 12:03pm

Yes, it has really hurt players with great backhands like Dima, Calderano, Harimoto, Kallberg, Pitchford, Gnanasekaran. Oh wait...what else do those guys have in common? 

I suppose the reason Waldner and Samsonov aren't dominating is because they haven't fully adjusted to the 40, or 40+ mm ball...

Another ridiculous statement, Waldner is 52 Samsonov 42.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 12:38pm

Another ridiculous statement, Waldner is 52 Samsonov 42.

Lol you don't get it do you? Maybe I need to speak more literally than trying to let you fill in the blanks. Zhang Jike is 30 (maybe 32 depending on if his age was faked), past his physical peak in a game that is more physical than ever, and is clearly not training to the degree that he was during his prime. But you want to blame the ball.

Can you go into more detail about your earlier point that the new ball has hurt people with strong backhands? And how you can identify that as the main reason why he lost this match? Thanks.

Edited by bard romance - 05/24/2018 at 12:41pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic