tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Jike Zhang

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 2:01pm
He still seem to be surprised a few time at the bounce of the ball, or was return at all.  I think he will adjust as he put in more games.
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 2:13pm
He smoke for over half of his life. Of course there will be stamina issues. ZJK is done, he can spend time adjusting all he want, while other players are improving. 
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
kakapo View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 2:25pm
If ZJK trains hard, I think he can reach a ranking between top 10 and top 20 but of course, this will not be enough for a player with such a palmares.
Victas matsushita off, Fastarc G-1 max, S § T Hellfire 1mm, Japsko Glued
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I think he easy will beat Harimoto

Actually ended up being completely opposite. Harimoto cleared ZJK 4-0. It was kinda sad. In game 2, Harimoto was up 3-1, I saw ZJK body language completely change. He became nonchalant, didn't see much effort after that.

Did you watch the whole match or just the highlights? Or just even a shorter version? The shorter versions miss the feel of the match
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Tibhar Inca
FH: MX-S 1.9 B
BH: MX-S 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
tom View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 2:37pm
I am not a ZJK fan, but I don't believe he is all washed up.  It just doesn't happen like that.  For sure top 10 if he trains hard.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 2:45pm
I watched the match this morning not knowing the result (not that easy). I felt like harimoto has a lot of room to improve and he is already so strong so he truly is a level up taking the ball so early and using that bh punch along the line that much, I do not see a solution for zjk unless he does the same with success. His comeback is a baby steps process and while he works at it, Harimoto gains strength and confidence, zjk might not have the sacred fire and utter willpower to join top 5 again, his mental has shifted to broader centers of interest and if TT is not taking 100% of his focus there’s no way he can succeed. If we add to that his limitations re. injury prevention, he is buried!
I saw zjk’s fh very sloppy today, that was a major factor as well. It was sad to see him that much far from his prime. He might just give up.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I think he easy will beat Harimoto

Actually ended up being completely opposite. Harimoto cleared ZJK 4-0. It was kinda sad. In game 2, Harimoto was up 3-1, I saw ZJK body language completely change. He became nonchalant, didn't see much effort after that.

Did you watch the whole match or just the highlights? Or just even a shorter version? The shorter versions miss the feel of the match

What do you mean by the "feel of the match?". I saw the long version. You disagree with ZJK lack of effort?
Back to table tennis...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 2:58pm
I think the effort is there, but he knew he did not have the answer to Harimoto's game.
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

I think the effort is there, but he knew he did not have the answer to Harimoto's game.

ya i like watching him test his level vs hari. he didnt faall baack to the old style he stayed close and tested himself. hopefully he had fun and, not upset losing to a young player
GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 3:24pm
OSP Ultimate II, Xiom Omega VII Asia/Omega VII Asia
OSP Virtuoso+, Butterfly Tenergy 80/Tenergy 80
Yinhe T-7, Xiom Vega Asia/Xiom Vega Asia
osmar92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osmar92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 6:03pm
speed beats power, who controls off the bounce controls the game.
Jike is not ready for speedy game. Harimoto proves that/
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2018 at 5:51pm
Jike has never been a dorminant player in his career. Even at his peak, he was still losing to players of his level and even lower ones often. No one was afraid of him except for WH. Technically he was and is not complete. He won grand slam because he rose to the occasions and WH always eliminated ML in the semifinals. As his physicality declines and banana flip becomes a routine weapon, he will not be able to win again at the highest level. He is short- lived, not evergreen, unlike JO, Valadi and Timo. A lot of players are better than him when they were at their 30s. The reality is he is not talented enough to get away with lack of discipline for professional TT.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
jpenmaster View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpenmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2018 at 6:16pm
I saw a video where he said he has only been training for a month now. If that's true he might be able to get back in the top 25. Depends if these loses light a fire with in him or just makes him quit.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 12:31am

His current world rank is 102
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 8:47am
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

Jike has never been a dorminant player in his career. Even at his peak, he was still losing to players of his level and even lower ones often. No one was afraid of him except for WH. Technically he was and is not complete. He won grand slam because he rose to the occasions and WH always eliminated ML in the semifinals. As his physicality declines and banana flip becomes a routine weapon, he will not be able to win again at the highest level. He is short- lived, not evergreen, unlike JO, Valadi and Timo. A lot of players are better than him when they were at their 30s. The reality is he is not talented enough to get away with lack of discipline for professional TT.

What part of this takes into account what was obviously a debilitating injury that he still managed to perform reasonably well with over the past 2 years or so?

You may well be right but let's revisit in half a year.  He looks better than he has, the problem for him this Japan Open is that I don't understand how he is going to beat Li Yun Ju (who is criminally underranked).
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 9:14am

Oh he was dominant all right, just for no more than 3 years. He would have had the upper hand even if Ma Long had made it to the finals in one of his grand slam titles. It's just that Ma was the only one in the world who would of had a chance, which showed his dominance. I believe he managed to beat ML in the 2014 World Cup when he already started his decline, with his experience and mental toughness.

Maybe people figured out how to deal with the banana flick, maybe the new ball changed things, but it was very effective at the time and ZJK perfected it in his game.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 9:25am
Good point. The top 3/4 Chinese players (switching in FZD for Wang Hao) were all dominant and mostly losing to each other. Some of this changed with the move away from the original plastic ball after the 2016 Olympics but not in any real way.

But what was very obvious to everyone last year was that ZJK was not healthy.   Now he is. I don't know why people aren't willing to let him play for a few months before figuring out what he can really do.
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 9:57am
Recently, the best Jike Zhang could reach is Round 32. He got beat in Round 32 every single time (see link).
But in this upcoming Japan Open, Jike may not even be able to reach Round 32.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by ZingyDNA ZingyDNA wrote:

Oh he was dominant all right, just for no more than 3 years. He would have had the upper hand even if Ma Long had made it to the finals in one of his grand slam titles. It's just that Ma was the only one in the world who would of had a chance, which showed his dominance. I believe he managed to beat ML in the 2014 World Cup when he already started his decline, with his experience and mental toughness.

Maybe people figured out how to deal with the banana flick, maybe the new ball changed things, but it was very effective at the time and ZJK perfected it in his game.
Yeap!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2018 at 12:02pm
I think ZJK is retooling.  He does not do BH flip as often as before, and he is doing a lot of BH punch block instead of counter loop.  Give him another year, this guy is an innovator.  If he rises back to the top, I wouldn't be surprised to see other players playing the same way, just like with the BH flip.  Always give the ex-champ the benefit of a doubt Smile
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 1:38am

I think ZJK is retooling.  He does not do BH flip as often as before, and he is doing a lot of BH punch block instead of counter loop.  Give him another year, this guy is an innovator.  If he rises back to the top, I wouldn't be surprised to see other players playing the same way, just like with the BH flip.  Always give the ex-champ the benefit of a doubt Smile

how many chinese players play for china at 31 ? zero
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 2:37am
Holy s*** ZJK is 30? Jesus respect
Stiga Rosewood NCT VII FL
Joola Golden Tango PS Max
Butterfly Rozena 2.1

https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 8:19am
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Holy s*** ZJK is 30? Jesus respect
===========
ZJK beat Matsubara Yutaka (Chile):  11-3, 11-2, 11-3, 11-4.
Yutaka got an average of 3 points per game. Impressive performance by Jike.

Now the hard part, ZJK will play Lin Yun-Ju  (table 1.)
Not convenient to watch live if one lives on US East coast. Just have to watch the replay.

mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 10:29am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

how many chinese players play for china at 31 ? zero
So ML will be coaching soon?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 12:03pm
When ZJK was at his peak, he could only barely beat TB or VS. He was actually losing to them at times. To me, he had no dominance over the top players at the time except for WH because he had been WH’s training partner . ZJK comprensated his skill deficits (relatively speaking for the highest level) with exceptional toughness, strength and power and succeeded with a lot of luck.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 12:11pm

When ZJK was at his peak, he could only barely beat TB or VS. He was actually losing to them at times. To me, he had no dominance over the top players at the time except for WH because he had been WH’s training partner . ZJK comprensated his skill deficits (relatively speaking for the highest level) with exceptional toughness, strength and power and succeeded with a lot of luck.

So all those finals between Ma Long and Zhang Jike in the World Tour, his basically being the only player that could beat Ma Long head to head when Ma Long was in peak form, and those Grand Slams are a figment of my imagination?

He wasn't as dominant as Ma Long.  But he was basically better than anyone who wasn't in the CNT.  He doesn't have to beat everyone as easily as Ma Long to be dominant.  He just had to be better than the rest.  And he was, the loss here or there not withstanding. 
Tibhar Inca
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 12:20pm

I don't remember him had trouble with TB? ZJK only tried hard in big events AND in singles, you know? I recall he did almost lose to Samsonov in 2012 OG but that seems the only close call in his grand slams.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 12:29pm
After he won the single in OG, he lost to TM in the team event right away, if my memory is correct.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 12:35pm
No doubt he was a great player ant it was super exciting to watch him play, then! He was just not a dorminant player. Nevertheless, he won the big ones in a different way as LGJ won them in his own way as well.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/06/2018 at 1:23pm
ZJK was a favourite in every final he was in. Even in 2016, with a bad back, he was still picked ahead of XX, and FZD to go to the OG, and won silver. Even though he lost to ML, there was more people picking him to win.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic