Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Terrible ITTF Articles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Terrible ITTF Articles
    Posted: 05/22/2018 at 6:08pm
I know this is an old topic, but the reports by Ian Marshall on the ITTF webiste are simply terrible.  After reading the following articles that were just posted on the Hong Kong Open, I just had to say it again.

In terms of grammar, there are misspelled names, incomplete sentences, and random and missing punctuation.

In terms of content, there's barely anything other than scores - nothing to indicate that he actually watched or reported on the matches.

In terms of style, it's not just odd, it's bad writing.  He has a terrible tendency to precede nouns with endless description and hackneyed cliches.  It's so difficult to find the subject and verb of each sentence - he clutters them with filler.

Hou Yingchao is a former Chinese player now representing Canada.  In Ian's article, he becomes "Merlin the Magician, the wizard of St. Petersburg".
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 8:29pm
Yup, Ian Marshall would never get a gig as a journalist with any organisation I've ever been associated with.  And some of them were pretty Mickey Mouse, but still had higher standards than the ITTF when it came to communications.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/22/2018 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by opinari opinari wrote:

I know this is an old topic, but the reports by Ian Marshall on the ITTF webiste are simply terrible.  After reading the following articles that were just posted on the Hong Kong Open, I just had to say it again.

In terms of grammar, there are misspelled names, incomplete sentences, and random and missing punctuation.

In terms of content, there's barely anything other than scores - nothing to indicate that he actually watched or reported on the matches.

In terms of style, it's not just odd, it's bad writing.  He has a terrible tendency to precede nouns with endless description and hackneyed cliches.  It's so difficult to find the subject and verb of each sentence - he clutters them with filler.

Hou Yingchao is a former Chinese player now representing Canada.  In Ian's article, he becomes "Merlin the Magician, the wizard of St. Petersburg".

awful like" attacked with same venom.."
Simon_plays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 1:25am
I think it's a shame that the ITTF doesn't work with local writers. There's bound to be someone involved with each smaller event that would be happy to write up daily reports containing more than the scores, players' rankings and misplaced semicolons.

bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 10:09am
Success contrary to status for Xu Haidong; it was the same colleague Nui Guankai and for Japan’s Yukiya Uda.

What an opening line.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 4:52pm
An embarrassment to our sport.
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 5:40pm
Every single article by Marshall includes the words 'it was' used in the most banal way. 
 'It was deuce', 'it was parity', etc etc 

and every one contains this sort of construct:
'Success for Ma Long, but disaster for Zhang Jike.'
 'Victory for France, but failure for Germany' (etc).

Here's an example of both in the first article opinari cites: 'Defeat for Kanak Jha, Joe Seyfried and Darko Jorgic; in the remaining second round Under 21 Men’s Singles encounters it was success as anticipated'

and in the 'Merlin' article:
"Success contrary to present day world ranking; it was the same for China’s Ma Te and Zhou Qihao, as it was for Denmark’s Zhai Yujia alongside Japan’s Masaki Takami and Yuki Hirano.

and 3 paras later: "Success for Yuki Hirano against expectations, it was the same for colleague Masaki Takami as Japan and India experienced differing fortunes."

It makes me want to scream.

I have been reading his appalling prose for years (he was editor of the ITTF magazine TT Illustrated throughout its history) and he managed to single-handedly kill what might have been a great book, specially prepared for the 2012 London Olympics ('From London to London: Table Tennis Comes Home), a history of the game between the first World Championship of 1926 and the 2012 Olympics. It manages to make TT sound like a really boring sport, with precious little character or colour and the most dull facts, all couched in turgid prose. It's a shame that someone like Matt Syed isn't the chief journo for the ITTF.

Edited by zzzuppp - 05/23/2018 at 5:48pm
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/23/2018 at 6:20pm
I bought this up years ago, he also does the wrong scores or wrong information at times
I just him hard to read

I emailed him some years ago to point out a mistake but he never replied
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Success contrary to status for Xu Haidong; it was the same colleague Nui Guankai and for Japan’s Yukiya Uda.

What an opening line.

Free Tenergy to whoever can interpret this line for me. Not to mention the misspelled name Niu Guankai.
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:33am

What an opening line.

Free Tenergy to whoever can interpret this line for me. Not to mention the misspelled name Niu Guankai.

My suspicion is that it translates into: "Xu Haidong pulled an upset, and so did his teammate Niu Guankai and Japan's Yukiya Uda".  May be - it's very cryptic.

USATT: ~1900
Donic Defplay - AK47 blue - Dtecs OX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

What an opening line.

My suspicion is that it translates into: "Xu Haidong pulled an upset, and so did his teammate Niu Guankai and Japan's Yukiya Uda".  May be - it's very cryptic.

That's about the closest I got, in which case the wording is still straight up incorrect not to mention the terrible sentence structure. 

Or should I say... wording incorrect, it was the same terrible sentence structure, a cryptic message once again penned by ITTF's Ian Marshall?

This is not a stylistic thing. It is simply incomprehensible gibberish. I just briefly looked at the most recent article. Even with the style he attempts to go at, there are still numerous grammatical errors not to mention spelling mistakes. And his opening line is that Chuang Chih Yuan and Chen Chien An, a lefty and righty doubles combination, should have had an advantage in the match they lost by virtue of that fact...except, oh wait, they lost to Par Gerell and Jon Persson, also a righty and lefty duo. Amazing. The title is "gremlins of the sport conspire" (lol) and then the article goes on to detail NOTHING about any "gremlins of sport" conspiring, and is just a glorified reporting of the score? 

Edited by bard romance - 05/24/2018 at 9:43am
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:58am
Seriously, this guy is more than an embarrassment; I suspect he's actually doing table tennis harm.  Anyone who stumbles across the ITTF website and then tries to read about the game we play is going to leave thinking we're a bunch of semi-literate fantasists.  This guy is representing the peak body of our sport!
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 10:06am

Success contrary to status for Xu Haidong; it was the same  colleague Nui Guankai and for Japan’s Yukiya Uda.

What an opening line.

Free Tenergy, huh?  Both sides?  I've heard that stuff is kinda expensive, and for some reason or other don't ask me why you can't play with Tenergy in hb events.  

Still, that's an offer no one in their right mind should refuse, so even though Ian Marshall English is hardly ever spoken here in the relentlessly sunny southwest, I'll nevertheless give it a shot:

Success contrary to status for Xu Haidong;  Xu Haidong is hardly notable kidney in the hierarchy of the CNT.  Therefore in the pong world he's not likely to be driving a Lamborghini anytime soon..  But somehow he won anyway.  Go figure.

it was the same  colleague Nui Guankai and for Japan’s Yukiya Uda.   Not hard to decipher if you add (damn!  doesn't anybody over at the ITTF do any proofreading?) a "for" to render that sentence fragment as:

it was the same (for) colleague Nui Guankai and for Japan’s Yukiya Uda.   

Glad to have been of help, bardromance.  Send me a pm, I'll give you my address and will even spring for shipping costs for the Tenergy.Big smile 

Edited by berndt_mann - 05/24/2018 at 10:45am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:32am
....or if you like, it was just yet another of those sentences he trots out continually, as with the ones I quoted before:

"Success contrary to present day world ranking; it was the same for China’s Ma Te and Zhou Qihao, as it was for Denmark’s Zhai Yujia alongside Japan’s Masaki Takami and Yuki Hirano.

"Success for Yuki Hirano against expectations, it was the same for colleague Masaki Takami"

Just substitute players names and Hey Presto! you have Rent-A-Doggerel ITTF Journalism.
I think he has a template of crap sentence constructions which he just fills with names and scores.

JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:32am

What an opening line.

He has simply missed one word - "for" in front of the word "colleague".

But generaly I agree wholeheartedly - and I  said this a few times before: the guy writes in a very stunted and very unimaginative version of old dust-covered British English as if he is still living in 1950s. Perhaps that is when he was educated - I have no idea how old he is. In any case, ITTF absolutely needs to ask the guy to step aside and enjoy his retirement.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 11:34am

Or should I say... wording incorrect, it was the same terrible sentence structure, a cryptic message once again penned by ITTF's Ian Marshall?

I laughed out loud at this - that's spot on :) 

The only thing you're missing is the random replacement of commas with semi-colons.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 1:10pm
He must be in his 70s...he is the guy with a Northern (English) accent who often does commentaries and more often interviews for ITTV (not Don Parker, whose lugubrious commentaries always go on about 'strong forehand topspins'). 
 Interestingly he never commentates alongside Adam Bobrow - they're like chalk and cheese. 
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

He must be in his 70s...he is the guy with a Northern (English) accent who often does commentaries and more often interviews for ITTV (not Don Parker, whose lugubrious commentaries always go on about 'strong forehand topspins'). 
 Interestingly he never commentates alongside Adam Bobrow - they're like chalk and cheese. 

Strong forehand topspin on short side of the table LOL!
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 3:04pm
Much more embarrassing to the ITTF is the quality of videos with telephoto lens on a webcam from somewhere up in the rafters. I suggest they fix that first.
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 3:37pm
Yeah, but there's 500 threads about that on every TT website...LOL
 This is one of the very few I've seen addressing the daily drivel that Marshall writes.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:55pm

What an opening line.

I always assumed that the author wrote in another language and then used Google Translate to put these ITTF articles into English. I was simply grateful to have any sort of reporting.

"Exacting Men’s Singles opponents for Lee Sangsu and Maharu Yoshimura; it is the same for Portugal’s Marcos Freitas, the no.4 seed."

Are you telling me that the sentence above was written by a native English speaker? 

If in fact English is his native language, does then he have a Twitter feed where his writing style can be ridiculed appropriately?

Edited by icontek - 05/24/2018 at 11:23pm
US1260.RC952 . OSP Ultimate II : DHS H2 + Rasant
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 10:11pm
If the articles aren't written by native speakers, they (the writer) could be forgiven. But really, if that's the case the ITTF should be blamed for not getting a native speaker to check (or write) it.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 1:24am
Yeah it's one of the laughing points of ITTF, every time I see one of his articles I can't help but laugh uncontrollably!
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 4:30am
He's definitely native English.

I think what those weird sentences, as in the 'Exacting...(etc)' one, are trying to do is be like a news headline in a journal, summing up his article in a short phrase.
Alas, he can't bring himself to use verbs or sentence construction in a normal way and it comes out as gibberish.  
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 6:34am
He always writes extracts revenge instead of exacts.
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 8:57am
Will Ian Marshall produce write ups for the upcoming WVC? I wonder if he'd include me...
Results for USA's Bavly contrary to his indulgence in Las Vegas buffets; showing a penchant for prime rib.
Crowd's to the left of me,Cho-ers to the right
Here I am, stuck on this table with you.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "TeX Gyre Adventor Regular"; font-size: 14px;">Success contrary to status for Xu Haidong; it was the same colleague Nui Guankai and for Japan’s Yukiya Uda.</span>
<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: "TeX Gyre Adventor Regular"; font-size: 14px;">
</span>
<font face="TeX Gyre Adventor Regular" color="#333333"><span style="font-size: 14px;">What an opening line.</span>

He has simply missed one word - "for" in front of the word "colleague".

But generaly I agree wholeheartedly - and I  said this a few times before: the guy writes in a very stunted and very unimaginative version of old dust-covered British English as if he is still living in 1950s. Perhaps that is when he was educated - I have no idea how old he is. In any case, ITTF absolutely needs to ask the guy to step aside and enjoy his retirement.

It is far worse than that. It is often incoherent. The worst stylistic features of 1950s (or 1850s) English prose are models of clarity compared to the stuff this guy excretes.
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 5:12pm
Here's his latest fill-in-the-blanks sentence, from today:

'Success contrary to status for Ho Kwan Kit and Wong Chun Ting, it was the same for Masataka Morizono and Yuya Oshima, like Jin Ueda and Maharu Yoshimura from Japan.'

He writes this same sentence (with different names) in every article. Along with 'it was', the nearest he ever gets to a verb Dead

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 5:22pm
 I find all this rather strange, Ian Marshall, who I know, was a school teacher!
The Older I get, The better I was.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 5:24pm
 BTW zzzuppp, nice to hear from you. I'm going to PM you about something BTW, so look out for it.
The Older I get, The better I was.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic