FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Terrible ITTF Articles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2018 at 2:46am
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Will Ian Marshall produce write ups for the upcoming WVC? I wonder if he'd include me...
Results for USA's Bavly contrary to his indulgence in Las Vegas buffets; showing a penchant for prime rib.

Maybe I should try and copy Ian's "style" in my articles? :)
I believe the main writing team covering the World Veterans is Matt Hetherington, Richard Finn, and myself. Write up a storm I plan, table tennis articles extracted I will.
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2018 at 12:04pm
Sounds more like Yoda. And yet coherent. Still too good to be mistaken for the ITTF guy.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2018 at 10:11am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Will Ian Marshall produce write ups for the upcoming WVC? I wonder if he'd include me...
Results for USA's Bavly contrary to his indulgence in Las Vegas buffets; showing a penchant for prime rib.

I believe the main writing team covering the World Veterans is Matt Hetherington, Richard Finn, and myself. Write up a storm I plan, table tennis articles extracted I will.
-Larry Hodges

Correct me if I am wrong, but the WVC is not an ITTF event or is it?
>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Yinhe pro feeling + T05/T05

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

-Larry Hodges

It's affiliated with the ITTF, but is run by Swaythling Cup International.
http://wvc2018.com/overview/wvc-2018-organization/
https://www.ittf.com/committees/swaythling-club/
Hope this helps!
-Larry Hodges
Butterfly Sponsored
www.MDTTC.com
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2018 at 12:40am
I'm reluctant to post this; however, I did once embark upon a career in table tennis journalism.  I covered only the one event but found the level of excitement too much for me.  I started posting the daily reports on my blog.  If anyone's interested: http://celluloidandkryptonite.wordpress.com/   Unfortunately, it's posted in reverse order, so Day 1 is at the bottom, so read from the bottom up.

(Please be gentle with your comments.  I'm a delicate soul and might struggle if Ian Marshall is preferred.  If the reviews aren't too damning, I may even post the finals.)
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2018 at 1:12am
How I felt as I read through Tassie's blog.

From right to left:
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Simon_plays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2018 at 2:17am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

I'm reluctant to post this; however, I did once embark upon a career in table tennis journalism.  I covered only the one event but found the level of excitement too much for me.  I started posting the daily reports on my blog.  If anyone's interested: http://celluloidandkryptonite.wordpress.com/   Unfortunately, it's posted in reverse order, so Day 1 is at the bottom, so read from the bottom up.

(Please be gentle with your comments.  I'm a delicate soul and might struggle if Ian Marshall is preferred.  If the reviews aren't too damning, I may even post the finals.)

That was great stuff :)
zzzuppp View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zzzuppp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2018 at 3:35pm
IAN MARSHALL TOPS HIMSELF, OUTDOES PRIOR GIBBERISH: DEFEAT FOR MARSHALL, BUT HYSTERIA FOR MYTT

Here's what he wrote today; one of his best!!

Indonesians depart but set in history as new era dawns

30 May 2018

Preliminary round defeats for Indonesia but forever more, the partnership formed by Donny Aji and Lilis Indriani alongside colleagues Ficky Santoso and Gustin Dwijayanti have the privilege of telling family and friends that they competed in the first ever Mixed Doubles matches to be staged in the history of the ITTF World Tour.

Defeat but defeats with honour; their efforts suggesting an intriguing event ensues.

Later in the same article:

If the players met in Men’s Singles or Women’s Singles events, would we have not have expected the margin of victory to be greater?

Mr. Marshall, we would have not have.LOL

Edited by zzzuppp - 05/30/2018 at 3:36pm
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2018 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by zzzuppp zzzuppp wrote:

IAN MARSHALL TOPS HIMSELF, OUTDOES PRIOR GIBBERISH: DEFEAT FOR MARSHALL, BUT HYSTERIA FOR MYTT

Here's what he wrote today; one of his best!!

Indonesians depart but set in history as new era dawns

30 May 2018

Preliminary round defeats for Indonesia but forever more, the partnership formed by Donny Aji and Lilis Indriani alongside colleagues Ficky Santoso and Gustin Dwijayanti have the privilege of telling family and friends that they competed in the first ever Mixed Doubles matches to be staged in the history of the ITTF World Tour.

Defeat but defeats with honour; their efforts suggesting an intriguing event ensues.

Later in the same article:

If the players met in Men’s Singles or Women’s Singles events, would we have not have expected the margin of victory to be greater?

Mr. Marshall, we would have not have.LOL

This is just atrocious... this guy should just stop writing/posting altogether... I mean, I would not even trust him with a shopping list. Seriously.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2018 at 5:36pm

-Larry Hodges

Please, Larry, don't do that. We have enough problems in life. Just write in plain proper English, and everyone will be happy.

And take pictures, lots and lots.

Do you know if there will be Youtube casts?
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member
Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Stef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2018 at 2:36pm
Latest entry in the neverending line of horrible articles:

https://www.ittf.com/2018/05/31/centre-stage-quarter-final-exit-zhang-jike-wang-manyu/

No correlation between the headline/intro text (mixed doubles) and the rest of the text (women’s doubles).

Edited by Stef - 05/31/2018 at 2:38pm
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2018 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

-Larry Hodges

Please, Larry, don't do that. We have enough problems in life. Just write in plain proper English, and everyone will be happy.

And take pictures, lots and lots.

Do you know if there will be Youtube casts?
Don't worry, I'll write with "proper" English. There are a number of photographers and I believe there will be video. I think Matt Hetherington oversees that. I'm just doing write-ups. I know Persson pretty well, but can't wait to meet Jonyer!!!
-Larry Hodges
Butterfly Sponsored
www.MDTTC.com
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2018 at 8:37am

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

It's affiliated with the ITTF, but is run by Swaythling Cup International.
http://wvc2018.com/overview/wvc-2018-organization/
https://www.ittf.com/committees/swaythling-club/
Hope this helps!
-Larry Hodges

That explains it all, thanks LarryThumbs Up

>60yo, losing weight 30 pounds to go

Yinhe pro feeling + T05/T05

When all else fails, there is always delusion.
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 12:27pm
Folks, we've got an all timer here: https://www.ittf.com/2018/07/10/top-names-withdraw-celebrated-remain/

First line of article:

Similarly, in addition to Fan Zhendong, for the same reason Lin Gaoyuan has withdrawn, as alongside Zhu Yuling have Chen Meng, Wang Manyu and Chen Xingtong.
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Folks, we've got an all timer here: https://www.ittf.com/2018/07/10/top-names-withdraw-celebrated-remain/

First line of article:

Similarly, in addition to Fan Zhendong, for the same reason Lin Gaoyuan has withdrawn, as alongside Zhu Yuling have Chen Meng, Wang Manyu and Chen Xingtong.

Thanks for the "find" :)  Holy crud, that article is hard to read! 

It's as if he's trying to maximize confusion - even after reading it, I'm not exactly sure who's still playing and who's withdrawing.

My favorite line is short:

Chinese withdrawals, there are three more.

Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Roundell
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 1:03pm
Comment section withdrawn but Ian Marshall remains.   

Edited by zeio - 07/11/2018 at 1:04pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 1:03pm
How about this line:

Notable Chinese absentees but arguably the most notable of all are present; the reigning Olympic and World champions.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

How about this line:

Notable Chinese absentees but arguably the most notable of all are present; the reigning Olympic and World champions.

This one isn't so bad. Not great, but somewhat understandable.

However, the taker of the cake of the worst sentence found, continuing to look for a new record setter is bard romance.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 1:21pm

Edited by bard romance - 07/11/2018 at 1:22pm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 1:30pm
Comprehension, a challenging achievement, subsequent to this article read.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic