Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

BH footwork

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BH footwork
    Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:35am
I improved my rallying skills (to circa 1300) and feel this drill helped:

I block BH, but as opposed to all the videos I see, I make a small
(half-foot) step left or right so that I hit the ball right in front.
If I don't need to make step I make a small jump in the same spot.

So I started recommending this drill to my sons, other players.
But is it really a useful drill? I started having doubts since I
cannot see any top players do it. Too basic for them?
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 9:04pm
I think it is good and something most of us should work on. Top players? Well I am not one of those...
Gambler Hinoki Vector or AVX J power-Double inverted. Gambler mech tek FH black on FH, tibhar elp or T05 red on BH. I can't seem to commit....
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2018 at 10:10pm
Most kids here are taught that way (in non-professional settings, I don't know how they coach at the top levels). They are basically taught to never stop moving, so I think you having that little jump will help keep you in rhythm to make the next movement.

Personally, I feel like the moment I stop moving, I'll be late to the next ball if I suddenly need to move.

Stay light on your feet! Good luck!
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

The "little jumps" aka xiao sue bu in chinese is the most important thing in table tennis. 
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 6:04pm
 Best b/hand players push off from to right foot to left on execution, it can, and does leave them too square to play a f/hand if switched. pushing off from right to left, means they can move wide on the b/hand side to get behind the ball, but really does expose a quick switch the the f/hand. 
The Older I get, The better I was.
Leshxa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leshxa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/25/2018 at 6:54pm
Posting a video would help explain the drill and its benefits / downsides.
Back to table tennis...
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Leshxa Leshxa wrote:

Posting a video would help explain the drill and its benefits / downsides.

Took me long time to make and post this video of myself.

This was with my robot, but I am also doing such BH block drill with small steps with whoever is willing to hit to my BH repeatedly. To recap the original question: useful drill?
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 1:55am
Not only is it useful, it's necessary! For warm ups, you might not need to be making those steps if both you and your partner are very consistent. But in generally you should always be making micro-adjustments with your feet to be able to hit the ball in front of your body.

I'm sure there are lots of better videos demonstrating it, but this is just the first one that popped up when I searched.

From 1:08 to 1:15 you can see this girl doing it.

In my opinion, when teaching young kids, the moment they have their basic form down, they should be adding in footwork into their practice, and this is a part of regular footwork exercises, just with micro adjustments instead of bigger ones.

I also recommend doing micro hops (with your feet staying as close to the ground as possible) instead of just moving one foot. It's even more important build that habit so they don't reach for the ball when it does go further. Also, it's quicker to recover in my opinion.
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 5:27pm

yes  a normal footwork drill to remember for life .... the old sidestep

also important when the opposition serve wide to your left , (without the step left then a miss is more likely) this for a right hander
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
freakinjstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freakinjstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 9:56am
OP: I'm at the same level - 1300ish - and also focused on movement/footwork atm (perhaps this is the level when you start to truly grasp its importance)  

I mostly train myself in my garage, but supplement it with 1 hour per week with the local coach.

I make a small (half-foot) step left or right so that I hit the ball right in front.

When I get lazy or forget to do this, the coach is on me like white on rice :)

I started doing this too (to build the habit of moving for every ball) and the coach jumped all over me. He claimed if I was already in good position, this jump was more likely to throw my stroke off - rather than setting myself and making a strong, firm stroke.

I thought I'd mention it since it surprised me - I thought he'd be thrilled I was working so hard to move for every ball but not so much... :)

Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 10:36am
Maybe at high levels it's better not to move like that. But to help learn footwork, I'm personally a fan of moving on the spot. 

To help me learn to move (and it's always a work in progress), I did something very similar. I made sure I moved AFTER every shot, even if it was on the same spot. Then I'd move again to adjust to the incoming ball.

My mindset is moving too much is better than not moving at all. I'm hoping as I get better, I'll move the correct amount and to the right place subconsciously!
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 11:12am
This adding the small hsops between shots is my goal for 2018, and probably will be for 2019 and beyond at the rate I'm going. I think it's super important. Watch any pro match on youtube and check their feet, they constantly reset to stay balanced.

I agree with hunkeelin. Maybe I would say ball feeling is most important, the little steps to reset second most.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic