Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Reverse Pendulum with no spin - good alternative
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Reverse Pendulum with no spin - good alternative

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GabrielTopspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverse Pendulum with no spin - good alternative
    Posted: 06/08/2018 at 3:01am
Hello what do you think about a half long reverse pendulum with no spin the the middle forehand as a change up from backspin/sidetopspin is it a good alternative, what do you think,

thank you very much
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:46am
Variation of the serve is good. Not just limited to 1 or 2 spins.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of ADIDAS, STIGA, TIBHAR, NEXY, JOOLA, ALSER & XVT

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/08/2018 at 10:55am
Of course it's good! A lot of it comes down to how similar you can make it look compared to your backspin/side topspin variations.

If the opponent thinks it's side under when it's no spin, you've earned an easy point!

Variation keeps them guessing.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2018 at 6:12am
How do you do a convincing no-spin reverse pendulum that looks similar to one with a lot of spin?! I've never in my life figured out how to do that.... Would be nice if you could explain a bit further Clap

It's part of the reason why I switched to hook serves, it's easy to do no-spin serves for some cheap points LOL 

Edited by blahness - 06/09/2018 at 6:14am
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/09/2018 at 6:47am
As convincing as your opponent is good at reading them :)

Hit it a little closer to your wrist. Hit the ball a little earlier before you really accelerate your wrist. Have a slightly flatter hit by going a little more forward.

None will be no spin, but the variation compared to your normal pendulum would make it "no spin".

I used to do a lot of reverse pendulums, but now my go to serves are hook and backhand as well. I find them easier to do. I still pull it out every now and then tho!
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

As convincing as your opponent is good at reading them :)

Hit it a little closer to your wrist. Hit the ball a little earlier before you really accelerate your wrist. Have a slightly flatter hit by going a little more forward.

None will be no spin, but the variation compared to your normal pendulum would make it "no spin".

I used to do a lot of reverse pendulums, but now my go to serves are hook and backhand as well. I find them easier to do. I still pull it out every now and then tho!

Hmm interesting! I usually train up wrist movements that feel different (but look similar enough) to achieve different spins. Usually my way of doing no-spin for other serves would be do a slight change in racket angle during the swing to hit the ball more vs spinning it. Maybe I'll try some of your suggestions the next time I play. 

-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
koshkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 12:50pm
I have not had very good luck making a no spin inside-out serve.  What I found, though, is that is fairly easy to hid the amount of spin with this serve and to also disguise the difference between side-spin and cork-screw spin.  The amount of cork-screw spin really affects the second bounce and that seems to really keep the receiver guessing.

ILya
Stiga Allround Bengtsson
FH: T25, black, 2.1
BH: T25, red, 2.1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic