tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Harimoto CHO!!!! Too loud?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by hleett hleett wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I wonder if Harimoto or many TT players know the sound "CHO" in Chinese "操" is a curse word. You might've guessed it's meaning. The "F..." word, yes, that is correct. (Pls delete this post if deemed inappropriate.)

The curse word is cao and not cho, both are very different (and used at different times!)

"CHO" is in Cantonese as "CAO" is in Manderine. Same 操,different dialect.

I'm a Cantonese speaker and we never use "cho" as a bad word... It's "diu" haha!
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 12:13am
Cho is more implicit and diu is too explicit. Imagine if Harimoto yell DIU!!! He'd be disqualified in no time.
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 1:35pm
A loud yell/scream/roar/moan/cry will distract opponent player's attention and focus during a game. A frequent one will frequently distract the opponent and impact the progress of the game. 

It is hard to limit the celebration or distress of a player during the game. But the better control of this feeling shows the aesthetic sensibilities and the character of a player, who is more civilized, cultivated, mature, sophisticated, graceful, modest, humble, unpretentious, calm, collected, cool, and composed. 

This performance and the behavior of a player on the court will also affect the appreciation of the game of the audience. 

hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 2:30pm
I totally agree. Not only distracting the opponent, it also show no respect for the opponent and the sport. I can see celebrating a game/match victory but not every winning point. I blame this behavior more on the coach/parent than the player himself. The player Harimoto should be taught to be "more civilized, cultivated, mature, sophisticated, graceful, modest, humble, unpretentious, calm, collected, cool, and composed". He showed me a total lack of sportsmanship.
balldance View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote balldance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

A loud yell/scream/roar/moan/cry will distract opponent player's attention and focus during a game. A frequent one will frequently distract the opponent and impact the progress of the game. 

It is hard to limit the celebration or distress of a player during the game. But the better control of this feeling shows the aesthetic sensibilities and the character of a player, who is more civilized, cultivated, mature, sophisticated, graceful, modest, humble, unpretentious, calm, collected, cool, and composed. 

This performance and the behavior of a player on the court will also affect the appreciation of the game of the audience. 

I have to respectfully disagree. To me, as a spectator, I don't dislike the CHO, I even like it if it's NOT too loud. It shows the desire, the determination, it CAN show how much a player want to win. (And I don't mean it's any way to measure the determination).

It'd be somewhat boring for me if I watch two players playing table tennis too calm and collected, or even too "cold" without showing any emotion (happy, excited, tense, anxious, regret, mad at themselves, sad, surprised, etc.). I respect the calm and collected, mature players but young, hungry, emotional, even somewhat crazy players are also very interesting to watch.

Normally young players screams louder and more often because they lack experience, mental toughness and they need to scream to release the anxiety and pump themselves up. Zhang Jike used to "cho" a lot and pretty loud when he was younger.

When they become older, more experienced, tougher mentally and maybe less hungry, they will scream less and less, maybe only in important matches.
simon_xuan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon_xuan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 2:46pm
Did I understand it correctly the CHO is actually  for "Qiu", or (good) Ball?
RPB Rocks!
HL5 | DHS Neo H3 | T05
HH2 | DHS NEO TG3 | Acuda P1
HH3 | DHS NEO TG3 | T05

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36695
book4all View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote book4all Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 3:36pm
The control of this on-court behavior of a player should have a degree / limitation. The "infrequent" is Ok and may also be fun sometimes; the "frequent" is not to be encouraged.  

Originally posted by balldance balldance wrote:

Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

I have to respectfully disagree. To me, as a spectator, I don't dislike the CHO, I even like it if it's NOT too loud. It shows the desire, the determination, it CAN show how much a player want to win. (And I don't mean it's any way to measure the determination).

It'd be somewhat boring for me if I watch two players playing table tennis too calm and collected, or even too "cold" without showing any emotion (happy, excited, tense, anxious, regret, mad at themselves, sad, surprised, etc.). I respect the calm and collected, mature players but young, hungry, emotional, even somewhat crazy players are also very interesting to watch.

Normally young players screams louder and more often because they lack experience, mental toughness and they need to scream to release the anxiety and pump themselves up. Zhang Jike used to "cho" a lot and pretty loud when he was younger.

When they become older, more experienced, tougher mentally and maybe less hungry, they will scream less and less, maybe only in important matches.
Navin323i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Navin323i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 3:52pm
Personally, I hate this practice of excessive yelling because for me, it's a matter of my own safety having a heart condition.  I don't like the feeling on my heart of being startled suddenly by someone screaming if they don't have to.  Fortunately for me, when I introduce myself to my opponents in tournaments/competitions, I let them know that I have a heart condition and Parkinson's and they are usually very accommodating in not trying to scream excessively.  I'm totally cool with infrequent ones like after a well-earned point or match point, but not every single point as that does gets to be too much. Smile
USA Para Table Tennis Player & First in history with Parkinson's Disease
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uHC9Bj64bg
Messi2018 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Messi2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 3:10am
I like Zhang Jike’s yellEmbarrassed,he is so man!!
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 5:10am
Why are we talking about wether it is ok to CHO loud or not. This topic of harimoto has been discussed too much on this forum. How many threads are there already? Let's talk about something else that is stupid. Non Asian or non Chinese players using cho. Why don't they celebrate in their own language? Why are they all celebrating using cho?
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 7:31am

Cho is more implicit and diu is too explicit. Imagine if Harimoto yell DIU!!! He'd be disqualified in no time.

I don't think anyone uses Cho in that way implicitly.... and the whole world's using it, it doesn't mean anything at all! 
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 11:47am
That's because nobody tell them what 操 means. They are cursing without knowing it.
Ieyasu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Let's talk about something else that is stupid. Non Asian or non Chinese players using cho. Why don't they celebrate in their own language? Why are they all celebrating using cho?

I agree with this... it sounds silly to me... especially if they don't speak the language. 

However on the other hand...

If one plays with Chinese often, it is very easy to pick-up their expressions. 

For example I say "ayuh" a lot, practically involuntarily, simply because over the years I heard it constantly.

shinchan1506217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 7:02pm

Let's talk about something else that is stupid. Non Asian or non Chinese players using cho. Why don't they celebrate in their own language? Why are they all celebrating using cho?
Haha I play @ NCTTA meets this year and the white people there were choing loudest
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 7:39pm

Why are we talking about wether it is ok to CHO loud or not. This topic of harimoto has been discussed too much on this forum. How many threads are there already? Let's talk about something else that is stupid. Non Asian or non Chinese players using cho. Why don't they celebrate in their own language? Why are they all celebrating using cho?
do Asian use forks to eat sometimes? If yes, do you also think it’s stupid? Do you ask “why can’t they eat with their sticks?”.
If people say “Cho” one can be positive and take it as a compliment to cnt superiority and Chinese tt in general; or find it stupid.Your condescending post is so sectarian.
We live with people we pick things up from them, it’s not stupid, it’s human

Edited by fatt - 06/13/2018 at 7:41pm
ZhouZhekai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZhouZhekai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 8:04pm
Well humans tend to be stupid Tongue
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 8:25pm

I think the only time I yelled Cho! was at a comedy show when I expressed my appreciation for the performer Margaret Cho.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

do Asian use forks to eat sometimes? If yes, do you also think it’s stupid? Do you ask “why can’t they eat with their sticks?”.
If people say “Cho” one can be positive and take it as a compliment to cnt superiority and Chinese tt in general; or find it stupid.Your condescending post is so sectarian.

ClapClapClap
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 11:21pm
Yeah, people pick things up. For example, I started playing table tennis after moving to Japan and while I don't "cho", I use a lot of other mannerisms that they use. For example, I'd say "lucky" whenever my opponent misses a simple shot, "nice ball", "nice course", etc.

When I visit Australia once a year and play at a local club there, I continue to say those things even if the others around me don't. It's a habit.
ocvillager View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocvillager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 12:09am
Watch their techniques, the games. Who cares how they cho
pingpungpeng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 9:25am

Edited by pingpungpeng - 06/14/2018 at 10:39am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 12:51pm

the key word is "sometimes" when non Chinese players only use "cho" and not a single word from their own language that just sounds stupid to me.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 12:54pm

the key word is "sometimes" when non Chinese players only use "cho" and not a single word from their own language that just sounds stupid to me.

One key term you should google: Cultural Appropriation!

You may have not come across it but it's very prevalent in modern society
Stiga Rosewood NCT VII FL
Joola Golden Tango PS Max
Butterfly Rozena 2.1

https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 1:06pm

other language may not have something similar
Choo-Lei
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 2:09pm
"Cultural Appropriation" has a negative connotation while a non Chinese person yelling "cho" just shows that they want to belong to a group practicing the game with a passion and I find it honors Chinese TT.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 2:46pm
I think cho is just the sound when they scream.  I don't think it has meaning.  Does any Chinese here, or else where, actually want to say something when they cho?  It's always in a scream or a shout-out, I don't think I ever hear some one say cho.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 4:24pm

"Cultural Appropriation" has a negative connotation while a non Chinese person yelling "cho" just shows that they want to belong to a group practicing the game with a passion and I find it honors Chinese TT.

Yes!!!
Stiga Rosewood NCT VII FL
Joola Golden Tango PS Max
Butterfly Rozena 2.1

https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 5:13pm
I absolutely hate any 'cho'  stuff It is annoying in the extreme. I have three kids, all it their 20's , the thing they always take the piss out of me when I play TT clips with the 'cho' stuff. If you are not in TT , it just makes the whole sport look stupid to others. 
The Older I get, The better I was.
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 6:36pm

Cho is not a word in Mandarin Chinese anyway
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2018 at 6:38pm
Cho sounds more Korean if you ask me....
-------

Stiga Clipper CR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic