Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heavy Metal Strength Training Blade

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heavy Metal Strength Training Blade
    Posted: 06/10/2018 at 1:13pm
What do people think about weighted shadow practice training blades like this one here:

My first coach had one and said it was great for helping solidify strokes. (He also used to beat me with it.)

However, I haven't seen anyone else with one and they are never available in online shops. In fact, this one on ebay is the first one I've seen for sale anywhere. 

Do people agree that using your actual bat for shadow practice and doing leg exercises for strength training is the way to go? Or is there anyone on here who swears that one of these metal training blades helped them learn the basic strokes?
Sponsored Links

The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 1:30pm
I used to do multiballs with a blade like that. Now I can't play with any blade weighted less than 90g. My loops don't get more powerful, but doing that definitely helps me solidify my BH technique. The idea is to force yourself to use the wrist effectively; otherwise, you wouldn't last even half a basket of balls. Don't overdo it, though.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 2:24pm
Ah, so you actually glued some rubbers on an extra heavy blade and used it for multiball? I thought this blade would just be for shadow swings.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 3:39pm
I used super glue to stick 2 very old rubber sheets on it. Be careful though. If you want to do multiballs with that set up, you'll have to warm up properly and after 1 or 2 baskets, spend the rest of the session with your normal bat to recover the feeling.
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 4:09pm
Heavier training blade will always lead to a timing disaster when playing with the actual, presumably lighter set up....Have a guess how do I know this?
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 6:28pm
I agree with Kolev on this. Also potential injury issues.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 8:03pm
Butterfly and TSP make some really heavy blades for that purpose, actually (the BTY Subuly for example). It's not as crazy as you may think. But yeah, even the easiest exercise will hurt if done wrong.
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 8:15pm
Would not recommend this!! But if anyone wants to try, feel free to write up your opinion after :)
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/10/2018 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Would not recommend this!! But if anyone wants to try, feel free to write up your opinion after :)

Would agree with that... heavy bats places undue unnecessary stress on your wrist, and can destroy the feeling of relaxation by making your muscles more tense. Hit the weights in the gym instead Wink
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
ZhouZhekai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZhouZhekai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 2:31am
Joo Sawhyuk used a 1-2 kg racket to practice shadow play. So it could be beneficial, especially seing how consistent Joo Saehyuk is. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arBm4minIzY
DarkerMyLove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkerMyLove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/11/2018 at 3:28am
I've used a weighted blade for shadow drills for about 20 months.  I would never consider or suggest using a weighted blade for actual ball hitting, but here are some thoughts:

Arm strength/speed shouldn't be the focus- only a byproduct of its use.  The focus should be your legs using weight transfer and your hips to start the the swing.  You must practice with a conscious effort to relax your upper back/shoulder muscles and get your arm swing started with your legs and hips.  If you are an 'arm only' swinger...a weighted blade is not for you.   If you aren't doing training/coaching w/ footwork then it would be hard to say if a blade like this is helpful.

I'd also say if you are in the 'Brett Clarke' camp of having a 'whippy wrist' action on all your shots, then a weighted blade would not be good as it would not be good for your wrist.  It would be more suited for a traditional style where your grip & wrist are not super loose, nor tight -> until the moment of impact when you want to make your grip and wrist more rigid to maximize power.  So think spin generation from the amount of brushing and forward acceleration,  rather than any type of whippy "wrist action". 

I will use it multiple times a day but max. 5-10 mins in total:  varying the types of swings. I find that it is only good for swings where there a need for weight transfer...meaning a normal FH loop, FH/BH loop against backspin and also i find it is fine for a normal BH.  I do not use it to shadow banana flicks or fh flicks, nor serves. 

I would not do any one swing type more than 1 min straight.  I don't think it should be used like an exercise (like running or jumping rope) or as "weight training".  You should not be swinging this thing like a madman.  This kind of blade is very supplemental and for sure one can argue that  it is completely unnecessary.  However I will say that having a weighted blade does make your legs and hips work a little harder to get the swing started so it does have an effect.  But I would not recommend everyone to go out and buy one. 

In terms of injury, like others have said you can get injured doing the most minimal of things incorrectly or just bad luck.  It can be at the gym, jogging... I play tennis and there are always those club players that get injured and re-injured swinging their rackets incorrectly and putting strain on their wrist or elbows. 
doushikunlun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doushikunlun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 11:20am
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

Butterfly and TSP make some really heavy blades for that purpose, actually (the BTY Subuly for example). It's not as crazy as you may think. But yeah, even the easiest exercise will hurt if done wrong.

Is there official instruction from butterfly on how to use the subuly?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2018 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

After seeing you play last week I can definitely say that it didn't do your strokes any harm Wink

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I tried a 500g dumbell at the gym and the muscle pain at the deltoids level was unbearable the day after. I might have been close to injure myself doing series of 10/15 shadow loops in front of a mirror but doing them I felt fine. So careful! Sometimes the injury is already there but we don't know about it yet. Again, stick to what you know and if no added value, leave the fancy stuff for suckers.

I actually did the exact same thing: 500g dumbbell at the gym in front of the mirror, 20 fh shadow swings, 20 bh shadow swings, 15 strange looks from everyone near by. Didn't injure me but doubt it did any good.  

Originally posted by ZhouZhekai ZhouZhekai wrote:

Joo Sawhyuk used a 1-2 kg racket to practice shadow play. So it could be beneficial, especially seing how consistent Joo Saehyuk is. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arBm4minIzY
Interesting find Thumbs Up

Originally posted by DarkerMyLove DarkerMyLove wrote:

Arm strength/speed shouldn't be the focus- only a byproduct of its use.  The focus should be your legs using weight transfer and your hips to start the the swing.  You must practice with a conscious effort to relax your upper back/shoulder muscles and get your arm swing started with your legs and hips.  If you are an 'arm only' swinger...a weighted blade is not for you.   If you aren't doing training/coaching w/ footwork then it would be hard to say if a blade like this is helpful.

I'd also say if you are in the 'Brett Clarke' camp of having a 'whippy wrist' action on all your shots, then a weighted blade would not be good as it would not be good for your wrist.  It would be more suited for a traditional style where your grip & wrist are not super loose, nor tight -> until the moment of impact when you want to make your grip and wrist more rigid to maximize power.  So think spin generation from the amount of brushing and forward acceleration,  rather than any type of whippy "wrist action". 

I will use it multiple times a day but max. 5-10 mins in total:  varying the types of swings. I find that it is only good for swings where there a need for weight transfer...meaning a normal FH loop, FH/BH loop against backspin and also i find it is fine for a normal BH.  I do not use it to shadow banana flicks or fh flicks, nor serves. 

I would not do any one swing type more than 1 min straight.  I don't think it should be used like an exercise (like running or jumping rope) or as "weight training".  You should not be swinging this thing like a madman.  This kind of blade is very supplemental and for sure one can argue that  it is completely unnecessary.  However I will say that having a weighted blade does make your legs and hips work a little harder to get the swing started so it does have an effect. 

Thanks for sharing Clap

Re the Brett Clarke camp, there is definitely a video of him illustrating forehand whip mechanics via the use of a gold club. 

Edited by Simon_plays - 06/12/2018 at 1:27pm
heavyspin View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 10:23am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Would agree with that... heavy bats places undue unnecessary stress on your wrist, and can destroy the feeling of relaxation by making your muscles more tense. Hit the weights in the gym instead Wink

Hitting the weights in the gym is exactly what I do. It occurred to me early this year that since the plastic ball already ruined my touch, I might as well lift heavier weights in the gym. I may start a new post on this.

Edited by heavyspin - 06/13/2018 at 10:37am
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2018 at 1:01pm
I practiced every basic technique with a weighted blade. Rubber in one side and a heavy metal weight nailed to the other side. With a ball. Multiball feed.

It's not for strength at all. It's for solidifying technique, since you simply can't make non fluid motions with it, and hence you train the fluidity of the technique which is the most important aspect of technique.

Edited by Lightzy - 06/13/2018 at 1:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic