Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

What is the disadvantage of high throw rubber?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the disadvantage of high throw rubber?
    Posted: 06/15/2018 at 2:04am
I did multiple searches online but did not find any threads on this.  Perhaps I don't know the right search terms.  Hope it is OK here.

I've always assumed (wrongly I'm sure) that high throw is always a good quality as it allows one to arc the ball over the net and have better margin of error.  However, not everyone selects high throw rubber.

So, what are the DISADVANTAGES of high throw rubber?

And presumably the ADVANTGES of lower throw rubber would be whatever the disadvantages are of high throw?

Thanks in advance.  GREAT forum that rekindled my interest in TT and is teaching me a bunch!!
Sponsored Links

rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 3:18am
Blocking and pushing are both much easier with low throw rubber.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 3:59am
Different rubbers make different kinds of shots easier than others. A lot of people get seduced by rubbers that feel great on forehand topspin and forget that there are other elements to the game that may even be more crucial to their winning or losing.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 4:27am
Another disadvantage is that we have to keep the blade close while looping, which increases the margin for errors.
2. Smash with "high" throw rubber is not so easy.
3. If your loop isn't spinny enough it can be easily punished, which with the new ball is easier than ever
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 6:50am
High throw can be worse when it comes to control, passive play and blocking/hitting and overall requires better technique.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 7:26am
I´ve had T05 and now I´m using Goldarc 8 50° in BH, which I consider a medium-low throw rubber.
With Tenergy I had to control the force and angle applied in topspin otherwise the ball would fly out.
With GA8 I can full swing with a lot of force and the ball makes a perfect arc and still lands on.
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2018 at 9:34pm
Thanks for the responses.  Keep 'em coming.  

Yeah, I'm one of those who have been seduced by how great the T05 feels on forehand top spin....:)  Got me pegged. 

Keep the comments coming...:)
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/19/2018 at 6:52am
With a high throw rubber your opening loop sometimes gets higher over the net than it must get for a really high-guality, dangerous loop. High fly-by over the net means higher rebound after landing, so this loop is easier to counterloop or to perform a flat-hit. With those non-spinny new balls it becomes too easy.
A good loop passes low over the net and skims forward and even lower after landing.
MTMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MTMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2018 at 1:01am
GSOM-GSOM11. 

I hear you.  So with high throw, one needs to close the face of the blade further to get that low loop. This in turn gives more spin right? But the margin of error is smaller given how closed the blade has to be. 

Am I right in my understanding? 

Thanks!
GSOM_GSOM11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GSOM_GSOM11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2018 at 12:34pm
I doubt that closed angle can give you more spin given the same racket speed, but it obviously results in more forward speed. You can play a more speedy, forceful ball, but the trade-off is fewer options for deception. You cant vary your openers from fast attack to slow vicious loops which have less forward speed and can disrupt your opponent's timing if he is good at countering your fast loops. Its a matter of choice, but to play fast all the time you have to be physically fit and maintain fast footwork all the tournament day long. I for myself prefer to have an option to slow down the game when needed.

Also, it's rather a challenge to execute a closed-angle shot and wipe out a low, half-long ball right near the edge of the table after a successful short-short game. If this ball is really low, you are likely to hit the edge of the table with your fingers. It's much easier to let it fly a little further and execute a slow loop with more upward motion.

Edited by GSOM_GSOM11 - 06/20/2018 at 12:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic