FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

achoomai's new zlc-blade - PingPongHouse ZLC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: achoomai's new zlc-blade - PingPongHouse ZLC
    Posted: 06/23/2018 at 6:23am
A few days ago achoomai offered a new zlc blade for a special price, to find some players who are willing to post a short review about this new blade.

Yesterday I got my blade. Next week I will test it and post a review next weekend. Before I glue rubbers on the blade I took some pictures for explaining my first impressions.

The head size is 15,5 x 15,1 cm, a bit shorter and wider than the common 15,7 x 15,0 cm. If I remember right, that's more or less the same size like the former Donic blades and similar to some Stiga hard wood series like the Emerald for example.

I measured the thickness at several positions and it varied between 5,75 and 5,85 mm. This difference is not extreme, but also not really low. Let's say, it is "normal".

Originally posted by achoomai achoomai wrote:

We made 87+/- 3 g range only.
The weight of my blade is 84,3g. So I got one of the lightest blades.

The veneer quality looks really good and the complete design looks "natural". I like it. But what I definitely NOT like, are the measures of the handle and the deep neck of this blade.

The handle is really wide and flat, comparable with Xiom Zetro Quad, while I prefer handle-measures like on my Nexy Arche, not round, but also not sooo squarish. Please compare yourself: Xiom Zetro Quad, achoomai`s new ZLC, Nexy Arche (from left to right)

The handle-form is very flared (wide at the end and thin in the middle or near the head), while the difference on my Nexy Arche is much lower.

and (more important): the neck goes really deep into the handle.

This results in a bad feeling for me, because the handle feels to be very short and the wide end of the handle is bothering in my hand. With a shorter neck you can hold the handle higher and the handle feels longer.

Of course these impressions are a result of my personal preferences, but I think, I am not alone with this feeling. If I were you achoomai. I would change the form of the neck and handle and I would also sand the edges of a neck a bit because they are feeling sharp actually.

Now back to the positive impressions: 
the composition may be similar to Butterfly ZLC blades, but the veneer-thickness seems to be different. Please compare your self from left to right: Boll ZLC, achoomai`s zlc, Viscaria. While both layers around the composite-fibre seem to have the same thickness on both Butterfly blades, the outer layer of achoomai`s zlc seems to be much thinner.

Personally I think, that (relatively) hard outer veneers (like koto or harder) should be as thin as possible, because a hard and thick outer would dominate the feeling too much. On the other side (relatively) soft outer layers should be thicker.

Therefore I am exited about the playing-skills. I assume, that they will be really good. Wink

EDIT FROM MODERATION: added "PingPongHouse ZLC" to the title because that's how it is known now:

Edited by stiltt - 07/27/2020 at 2:37pm
Sponsored Links

achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2018 at 7:38am
Thanks a lot. Fair review and precise comparison. Looking forward to see review about performance vs. Price ratio.
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
shinshiro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinshiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2018 at 8:15am
I'm always impressed with picture quality from Magic_M. Very nice visual comparison, thank you.
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 9:33am
thanks, Magic_M. Looking forward to seeing your performance review.
kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 3:06pm
As always, Magic_M gives a thorough reading of the blade so far, with great pics. Looking forward to his review of the blade's performance. Full disclosure: I'm also waiting for my blade to arrive and I'll test it when I'm back from holidays. Interestingly enough, though the handle quality of the Nexy Arche was great--as always with Nexy--I found it too...small or something and so I'm looking forward to the slightly wider FL of achoomai's blade. We'll see...  Well done, Manfred! 
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Shall we all post our reviews right here?

Of course you can post your reviews here.
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2018 at 7:00pm
Yes, put all review here is perfect.
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
Robin.w View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robin.w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2018 at 7:18pm
Mine arrived this afternoon. Looks great and I like the handle,very comfortable in hand. 86 grs is perfect for me. Will test it next week.
icc0191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icc0191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2018 at 7:58pm
I got my blade yesterday. Overall quality is pretty good. I was about to glue my rubber today and noticed that the handle piece is about 3mm longer that the Viscaria blade which will make the rubber 3mm short. Was this done this way to put the weight to the front of the blade to make it faster? I love the balance of my Viscaria. I'll try to test it this way and if I don't like the balance, I might cut the handle part by the face 3mm and make it same as Viscaria.
Jesus Saves!

Hugo SAL / H3, Trouble Maker
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2018 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by icc0191 icc0191 wrote:

I got my blade yesterday. Overall quality is pretty good. I was about to glue my rubber today and noticed that the handle piece is about 3mm longer that the Viscaria blade which will make the rubber 3mm short. Was this done this way to put the weight to the front of the blade to make it faster? I love the balance of my Viscaria. I'll try to test it this way and if I don't like the balance, I might cut the handle part by the face 3mm and make it same as Viscaria.

Try to use power edge tape to make head heavier if you like. But try not to cut handle.
magicback View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magicback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2018 at 10:36pm
I got the blade yesterday.Its design and quality looks very nice, not too surprise as it was made by AIR Original.I have few blade from AO many moons ago.Today I glued both sides with T05 FX and spent abt 30m to test it, overall is satisfied: well-balance,fast and easy to play Topspin but less spin (maybe using old rubbers)compared with my Viscaria, for mid range it generates alot of power than my Viscaria ,for close table and short game- ball'trajectory goes a litle high and hard to make shorter.Personally this blade is flex than Timo Boll ZLC, ZJk Super ZLC,I personally love this character I will change rubber and have a proper review in next couple days. My blade is 92gram with fish scales.

@Achoomai:Thank you for your gift- Bat case
The one i just got from Achoomai:

Air Originals blades

Edited by magicback - 06/29/2018 at 2:09am
anjan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 1:36pm
@Achoomai
are these blades available in your ebay store?

anjan
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 10:19am
Originally posted by anjan anjan wrote:

@Achoomai are these blades available in your ebay store?

Yes, commercial lot will be put on both my EBay and Amazon shop.

Edited by achoomai - 06/29/2018 at 10:21am
Lightzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lightzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 1:20pm
Question:
What is the functional idea behind fish-scale, if any?

My favorite blade, the DHS301, also has fish-scale koto outer ply
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 1:32pm
It comes from the angle the wood was cut. A lot of people like the feel of blades that have fish scale but it is one of those things you can't quantify and it could be placebo effect derived from legends. FWIW my favorite blade is a fish scale.   Is the fish scale the reason why? Maybe. Maybe not.
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 2:06pm
Received mine today. It looks amazing. Smooth finishes, fish scale, and nice looking lenses the one at the bottom of the handle is metal. Will be testing it with my usual rubbers soon, but for now, I will say that at the eventual $50 price point this blade is definitely worth it.
Xiom Omega IV Euro | Freitas ALC | Xiom Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 2:08pm
Mine has fish scale, too.  Not as prominent as the one pictured above, but it's quite nice to see.
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 2:57pm
Its time to post a first review now. But at first another optical impression:

I was about to glue my rubber today and noticed that the handle piece is about 3mm longer that the Viscaria blade which will make the rubber 3mm short.
That`s right. I measured that the handle is 10,4 mm long. This seems to be the reason for the "deep back", which I mentioned in my first post.
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

the neck goes really deep into the handle.

This results in a bad feeling for me, because the handle feels to be very short and the wide end of the handle is bothering in my hand. With a shorter neck you can hold the handle higher and the handle feels longer.
I also measured the width at the bottom of the rubber (directly over the handle) and measured a width of 10,5 mm while most blades have a width of 8,5 - 9,0 cm there.

If the handle would be placed these 0,3 - 0,4 mm deeper, the width at this part would be more or less "normal" and the neck would not be as deep (which would be better for the feeling in my hand).

My suggestion: place the handle 0,3 - 0,4 mm deeper, reduce the width at the end of the handle and make the hight of the handle a bit bigger and all (my) problems would be gone. Wink

I will start with the positive impressions: The feeling of the blade is crispy. You can feel the ball very good. This results in a high control, especially in the passive game. Looping is easy, especially if you loop aggressively from mid distance. On the other side the blade is faster than I thought - faster than Zhang Jike ZLC in my eyes (but this test is long ago and I am not absolutely sure about this point) and the arc is relatively low (up to mid low). It was not easy for me to adjust the right length of my balls.

I played with Nittaku Fastarc G1 on forehand and Donic Acuda Blue P1 on backhand. This combination (especially the backhand) was too fast. Therefore I will test it with Nittaku Hurricane Pro 3 Turbo on forehand and Fastarc G1 on backhand next monday.
Originally posted by achoomai achoomai wrote:

Looking forward to see review about performance vs. Price ratio.
This question is easy to answer: the price-performance-ratio is definitely top. Thumbs Up
Personally I would prefer a little bit higher arc and less speed, but this is only a question of finding the right rubbers for the blade. For 50 USD this blade is a "must have" for every player who likes the feeling of zlc-blades.

However my next tests will end, I will re-sell the blade, because the handle is nearly unplayable for me: too wide at the end, too thin in the middle, too flat in general and with a neck which is much too deep for my hands. But this has nothing to do with the playing skills and these skills are REALLY good.

JoolaDancer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoolaDancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2018 at 5:41pm
I received my blade today...first impressions are very good. No real sharp edges, but I do agree with Magic M on the shortness of the handle. I have large hands so the handle may be fine for others. Since there are no glaring issues I will nit pick and say the two lenses (on both sides of the handle) are not completely flush into the handle. Not a big deal but I can definitely grab both with a fingernail.

As for the value this looks like a great deal (by feel and appearance). At the $50 price point there is a lot of bang for your buck. I will report back after I get to play with it some.

Edited by JoolaDancer - 06/29/2018 at 5:42pm
doushikunlun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doushikunlun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 1:29am
Received my blade today. Comes in a bat case! But I am curious of how the box will look like. Identical lens on both sides, and logo at the end of the blade. No sharp edges, and wings are very slightly sanded, which is nice.
Mine also has fish scale. No decal on the blade. Not sure what the model is. Seems like 7 layers, with the composite layer just under a thin top layer.
Handle does not give me any problem, but I havent played with it.
Wont be able to hit with these until I come back from vacation in a couple weeks.
icc0191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icc0191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 3:46pm
I shaved 3mm of the handle at the top of the handle. It was easy to do with a razer blade. After I made the handle 3mm short, the rubbers that I took off from other Butterfly blades fits perfectly. I didn't want to ruin my rubbers to test on this blade.  I'll try on coming Tuesday.
Jesus Saves!

Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 5:13pm

I shaved 3mm of the handle at the top of the handle. It was easy to do with a razer blade. After I made the handle 3mm short, the rubbers that I took off from other Butterfly blades fits perfectly.
Wouldn't it be better, to remove the handle-cups and re-glue them 3 mm deeper?. With this method, the neck would be shorter and the handle would feel longer. But of course you would have to use wood-pieces or wood-filler to fill the place between the handle-cups at the bottom of the handle.

But maybe you are right. With your method you don't need any wood-filler. You only need to sand the neck. It`s worth, to think about this method.
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 5:26pm
I already tested a new rubber-combination on the zlc: 
forehand = Tibhar Evolution MX-S 2,1-2,2 and backhand = Victas VS>401 in 1,5 mm

While the Victas is a bit too hard and direct on this blade, MX-S fits very well.
If I would hold the blade, my next test would be with MX-S both sides (bh = 1,7-1,8 mm),
but due to the handle shape I will re-sell my blade now.

If anyone is interested in a test: please contact me with pm.
I payed 35€ for it (with express) and will sell it for the same price (I will pay for shipping).
icc0191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icc0191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 5:59pm
It seems like most of the people who tested the blade has a same issue with the handle. You should reshape the handle part like the Butterfly and you will have lot more happy custmers.
Jesus Saves!

doushikunlun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doushikunlun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2018 at 6:34pm
I pasted hurricane 3 and palio ak47 blue.
When there was no rubber, I didnt find the handle to be out of place. But when the rubber is there and I actually try to hit with it,that is when I realized Magic M is totally right. The wings is very deep into the handle. The taper of the handle, where I usually place my thumb, is too high up. I usually place the joint of my thumb on that taper, and on this blade, I cannot do the same.
Tried hitting some times with the paddle, but cant tell for sure how the feel is, since I cant hold the paddle properly.
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2018 at 7:40pm
Thanks a lot. Seem like handle design is the first one I should improve.
icc0191 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icc0191 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2018 at 10:55pm
with 3mm shaved off,  if you sand down the neck, it becomes perfect blade.
Jesus Saves!

kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 1:05pm
Me too, Fatt! Just arrived back from holidays in France to find my Achoomai ZLC blade waiting for me as well. 

For the record, as has been already mentioned, the build quality is great. And...unlike others, I think it feels great in the hand. I'll be testing it with Blufire M1 Turbo on the FH, and Grass DTecs LPs on the BH. 

I'll give it a knock for a week or so and get back with a review soon. Thanks Achoomai!
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:35pm
I played it once. Since I am a penhold player, the neck length does not bother me. But the blade feels stiff, no good for loop. Maybe it needs time to break in. I will give it more try and report back later.
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 12:06am
The ALC maybe more convenience for the person who do not like the stiff blade. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic