FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

achoomai's new zlc-blade - PingPongHouse ZLC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 12:19pm

I got a pair of 84g blades from Achoomai.  To my pleasant surprise, one of the blades had a nice fishscale pattern on the outer ply.  There were a couple of minor visible defects on one of the blades, with the shape of one of the wings not being completely uniform/smooth and the lens in the handle not being perfectly flush, but nothing that would bother me personally.  I found both blades played remarkably similar, which is a testament to the craftsman. 

I liked the speed of the blade.  It’s quite comfortable to play in the short game, having a nice slow gear.  Also, the carbon doesn’t kick in too early, so there are no unexpected surprises there.  When you kick it up a notch, there’s no lack of power.  I’d say the blades I tried were on the lower end of off, but my blades were both 84g (by request), so heavier blades will have more power of course.  I found the blade to be stiff with low throw. 

I tried the blade with JP03 and Vega Europe, two rubbers I tend to like on any blade.  The JP03 was horrible.  It didn’t jive with the blade at all.  The Vega Europe felt okay on backhand, but it was hard to get much spin.  I think this blade is much better with slightly harder rubbers.  Next I tried Hexer, and despite the low throw of the rubber and the low throw of the blade, this combination seemed to work very well if you don’t mind doing a bit more of an upward stroke.  I was also able to try a sheet of Tenergy 05 on the blade and, although I’m not a fan of this rubber, I think many people would like this. 

This blade doesn’t offer the easy spin of more flexy blades, and I found it difficult to loop close to the table, but when you step back a few feet the blade was quite pleasing to loop with.  You can really get some spin out of it on harder strokes.  You want a good snap on contact to get the most out of this blade.  Also, there’s no wanting for power, but it was very easy to land the shots on the other side of the table.  Another plus for this blade is hitting.  I guess that’s to be expected as the blade is a bit on the stiff side.  Hitting through spin is a breeze. 

Now on to the handle.  As many have mentioned, the handle is certainly different than most other blades.  Handles are personal preference, so I can’t say it’s good or bad, only that I didn’t find it comfortable.  The wings come down further into the handle than I would like and I constantly wanted to slide my hand up a bit. 

Overall, I was pleased with the blade and think it’s certainly worth trying.  I think those who like to play a couple steps back from the table would like it more than players who play close to the table.  Also, I think this blade is a lot more beginner-friendly than many other ZLC blades.  My biggest suggestion would be to alter the handle design.  As for the price, for the proposed selling price of $50 I think it’s fair to say that this is an extremely good bargain and people should probably jump on it before Achoomai comes to his senses J

My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
Sponsored Links

kevo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/23/2018 at 1:28pm
Review of AOS--Tigers ZLC blade.

The AOS Tigers ZLC blade I received from achoomai weighed in at ~88 g, and had the fishscale pattern on the wood as has been mentioned before.

The handle issue has been covered in previous reviews but to my mind, the handle was very comfortable. The lens on one side protruded just slightly above being flush but it didn’t bother me at all. I suppose the handle could be extended a few mm and this might solve some folks’ issues with it--I imagine it might tilt towards head heavy with two max inverted rubbers on it at present, though head heaviness has its advocates as well--but I didn’t find this a problem at all. A 1.9 mm rubber for the BH, for example, would solve this surely. Overall, I much prefer this FL handle to the FL handle of the Innerforce ALC Tamca I use now and for which I need grip tape.

I tested the blade using a Donic Bluefire M1 Turbo on the FH and Tibhar Grass Dtecs OX on the BH.

General performance FH: The AOS performs wonderfully in the short game. It has several gears and is very controlled over the table when serving, dropping the ball short or flipping. In fact, I loved it for flipping, a shot I rarely win points with using my slower, dwellier Innerforce. With this blade, the stiffness of the blade and the crisp outer ply (whatever it is...koto, I’d imagine) turned many of my flips into flip kills, really surprising me.

As a few of the previous reviewers have mentioned, the AOS ZLC Tigers is a low throw blade and I used the M1 Turbo--a low throw rubber--but looping with the FH was great. My loops were low and fast. Loop driving, rather than pure, spinny looping, is the way to go with this blade. It took some adjustment to get the loops to land from up close, but once I’d adjusted, I really enjoyed knowing the ball would go exactly where I wanted it to and with serious zip and spin.

The blade is too fast and somewhat too crisp for me to reliably brush loop with it but if you open against backspin with pace, the AOS is a monster. Really snappy and quick, the ZLC kicking in when you apply the pace.  Smashing and flat hitting, needless to say, were a dream.

General performance BH: This is trickier to assess as I use OX pips on my BH and though I have always used fairly pacy blades--balsa carbon, walnut outers, currently the ALC Tamca Innerforce--this blade was slightly too fast for me to use safely with OX pips, particularly the DTecs, which is very fast in and of itself. (If I’d had any, I’d have tried it with a slower LP and this would probably take care of things.)

It does have a lovely, linear low throw angle for pips blocking, however, so whenever I did catch a block properly, the ball went fizzing back loaded with backspin resulting in a number of winners. No doubt, with more practice I could get used to the speed of it. Manika Batra, for example, uses the Timo Boll ZLC with DTecs OX on the BH…  So in several lifetimes, when I’m fit to tie her shoelaces I might take this up again… No, seriously, this blade might better suit a short pips, offensive blocker better better than a LP blocker such as myself.

Overall impression: For a RRP of $50, this is a brilliant starter ZLC blade. Comfortable in the hand, crisp, fast and reliably consistent. Too fast perhaps for OX pips but a great find for aggressive close to mid-distance blockers, hitters and loop-drivers.

Edited by kevo - 07/23/2018 at 1:30pm
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2018 at 7:47pm
Thanks a lot for input. Some idea will be used for my next generation blades.
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2019 at 5:57pm
Thanks a lot fatt for comprehensive review.
We are now making more new blades with improvement on design , fabrication and different characteristics. Will keep your guys post.

Edited by achoomai - 01/21/2019 at 6:53pm
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic