FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

US open dec 17-22

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US open dec 17-22
    Posted: 06/27/2018 at 6:45pm
I just read that the us open will be in orlando fl this year
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 3:03am
[QUOTE=Purett]I just read that the us open will be in orlando fl this year[/QUOT

I heard that a couple of months ago.  I can't understand why the USATT won't announce it.  But there's a lot of things that I don't understand about the USATT.
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 9:39am
I’m so lucky, live in Orlando!!! But your right I can’t understand why USATT didn’t announce it, oversea player might need visa and so on.
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 10:41am
Oh, Orlando (for u older Floridians/ex Floridians). This is certainly tempting for me. Could i make my first US open or nationals ever??
Gambler Hinoki Vector or AVX J power-Double inverted. Gambler mech tek FH black on FH, tibhar elp or T05 red on BH. I can't seem to commit....
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 11:51am
Down to 1 tourney in Las Vegas a year :(
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 12:35pm
I am guessing they don't have everything nailed down so they can do a full release of information. This has happened before, even in Las Vegas.
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2018 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

I am guessing they don't have everything nailed down so they can do a full release of information. This has happened before, even in Las Vegas.

A major event like the Open should be nailed down a year in advance, not months. 

I think they held off announcing it until after the Nationals is so the east coasters would not abandon the Nationals if favor of the Open with the hope that they will now go to both.  The flip side is that the West coasters who decided to skip the Nationals, with the thought of going to the Open in Las Vegas in December.  Now the West coasters will skip the Open while the east coasters who also are going to the Nationals will also skip the Open since they've already gone to one major for the year.

I have friends who would have gone to the Nationals if they knew the Open was in Orlando. 

It's too bad that the USATT can't hire someone who understands marketing.

Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2018 at 12:43am
@mts or just maybe USATT held off on the announcement because they were waiting on the final determination of a hosting grant that required us to wait until the program was finalized and we had a chance to present to the decision makers. Huh, could it be?

You are all 100% correct, we should be securing destinations and announcing these events 1 year in advance. In our defense, we have just come off hosting the largest tournament in the history of North America and for a staff our size, it was a challenge that consumed an enormous amount of time. We have also gotten quite "cozy" in Las Vegas given our last 6 events have been hosted at the LVCC. Not an excuse, but reality. 

I am very excited for Orlando - the local sports authority and CVB have been great to work with (they helped us to secure the hosting grant)...the host hotel is connected to the Convention Center...and Orlando is an easily-accessible destination that should attract a large contingent from South/Central America and hopefully some from Europe/Asia.

JOOLA Nobilis / SP (FH)/ Rhyzm Tech (BH)
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2018 at 8:45am
It will be interesting to see how it does there. On one hand it's easier to get to for East Coast crowd (although flight prices are not that much cheaper), but then West Coast attendance is likely to go down. 

With WVC this year, I wonder if many adults who participated decide that they already had their TT fix for the year and will skip US Open, especially since one has to use vacation time for it (this is one huge advantage Thanksgiving Teams tournament enjoys).   

To be honest, not sure how I feel about Orlando as a destination - looks like it's pretty much all about theme parks, and that's something you need full day for - I guess the thought is that folks who are interested will tack on a couple of days before/after the tournament? Might matter for people who bring family to US Open, perhaps. We'll see.
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2018 at 9:28am
If I can get the week off work, I'll certainly play (unless my tennis elbow has not healed by then).. I won't even need a Hotel... 45 minute to 1 hour drive from my house.. Fantastic!!!!
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon OX with removed glue sheet on backhand
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2018 at 5:08pm
1 and 1/2 hour for me just this year ill be spending 3 weeks in fl
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/02/2018 at 7:52pm
The USATT news article dated August 21 states:
"Online registration for the 2018 US Open is expected to open on September 1 on the USATT website, www.usatt.org."

It's September 2, I am not seeing it. Any updates? If I am trying to take the week before Christmas off I need to let work know before other people grab the date.

jfolsen
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2018 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

The USATT news article dated August 21 states:
"Online registration for the 2018 US Open is expected to open on September 1 on the USATT website, www.usatt.org."

It's September 2, I am not seeing it. Any updates? If I am trying to take the week before Christmas off I need to let work know before other people grab the date.

jfolsen
Maybe there will be some more information tomorrow after the holiday weekend but it wouldn't shock me if nothing else comes out till next week. 
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/03/2018 at 9:30pm
Hello all!

We will likely have the paper registration done this week and online registration next week. Sorry about the delay .
Eric Fountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Fountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 2:28am
Dusty concrete, or what is the flooring situation like for events other than the main open RR?

Edited by Eric Fountain - 09/05/2018 at 2:40am
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2018 at 3:50am
Very likely all Gerflor. Still working on logistics so please don’t hold me to it 100%, but it is likely.
Simple
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/06/2018 at 2:03pm
All - sorry for the bad news, but it looks like Monday (Sept 10) or Tuesday (Sept 11) is more realistic for the entry form. You will all notice when you see the entry form that we have done a pretty massive overhaul of the event structure and it is taking a bit more time to finalize the last tweaks/edits/changes. Once the form is released, I will be happy to answer any questions you may have - either on this forum or email (Gordon.Kaye@usatt.org)

Thanks for your patience...
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 5:52pm
Ladies and Gents - 

The Prospectus and paper entry form have been posted.

Click on the "Prospectus" or "Paper Entry" buttons.

A blast email will go out tomorrow morning ET.

It's a pretty big change to the format, so please fire away with questions either on this forum or email (Gordon.Kaye@usatt.org). And yes, Ben, all courts will be matted. 
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by Gordy Gordy wrote:

Ladies and Gents - 

The Prospectus and paper entry form have been posted.

Click on the "Prospectus" or "Paper Entry" buttons.

A blast email will go out tomorrow morning ET.

It's a pretty big change to the format, so please fire away with questions either on this forum or email (Gordon.Kaye@usatt.org). And yes, Ben, all courts will be matted. 

It is a pretty big change indeed :). Would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind this at some point (I don't have a strong opinion either way yet).

Edited by pgpg - 09/14/2018 at 10:15pm
ttforlife View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 10:09pm
So a twenty year old can only play two singles events, Tiered and 20 and above? And then they can't even play the 20 year old doubles because its on Monday likely conflicting with the tiered event?

Am I missing something about other singles events like rating capped events?

One of the great things about table tennis is being able to play with other genders and a wide range of ages and still be competitive, this just seems to be segregating all of that away?

Edited by ttforlife - 09/14/2018 at 10:13pm
ericd937 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 10:19pm
So, if you play in the Elite tournament, you can't play in your age group tournament? Is that right? Price seems pretty expensive for that. 
Current Setup:
Xiom Zetro Quad
Gewo Nexxus El Pro 48 (max)
TSP Spinpips Blue (1,9)
USATT Rating 1815
Estimated playing level 1950ish.
(In Asia since December 2015, no USATT events here)
ericd937 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 10:29pm
I also noticed that if you opt for the "performance track" you have zero chance to win any money. I'm sure not in the top 16 men. No chance to recoup any of the money spent unless you are at a super elite playing level. Even 2200 and 2300 level mens players won't even be able break even. At first look, the format doesn't look great. I was actually considering coming since its in Orlando this year, but I'll skip it. I'm not flying in from Vietnam to pay that much money just for a round robin tournament. 
Current Setup:
Xiom Zetro Quad
Gewo Nexxus El Pro 48 (max)
TSP Spinpips Blue (1,9)
USATT Rating 1815
Estimated playing level 1950ish.
(In Asia since December 2015, no USATT events here)
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 10:57pm
I find it amazing that someone thought this was a good idea.  What I find more amazing is that they still have 20 hardbat/sandpaper events, with 4 of them rating events.
Gordy View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 12:42am
All -

I am happy to answer any specific questions you have...I am in the middle of putting together an FAQ to answer a lot of the questions that may come up. 

@MTS - I completely disagree (as you might expect). There are a lot of really positive things this format can and will do to make the playing experience more fun and competitive. I have put some of them in the FAQ - as soon as it is posted, we will be sending an email out (probably in the morning).

@eric - in the performance track, there is $2000 of prize money in the singles and $2000 in prize money in the doubles for the Division I top 4 finishers...

@eric - the elite events are ITTF sanctioned, the age groups and tiered rating events are just USATT sanctioned. 

@tt - none of the age events will conflict with the tiered events. The tiered singles will only be played in the morning of Mon/Tue/Wed.

Again, check the tournament website on USATT.org in the morning and the FAQ should be up by then.
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 8:51am
Certainly not expecting this type of format. If I understand correctly (and that is a big IF) Its 275 for one or two events separated by 3 days with nearly zero chance of advancing. Format is very confusing for event 73-All on Monday?
Gambler Hinoki Vector or AVX J power-Double inverted. Gambler mech tek FH black on FH, tibhar elp or T05 red on BH. I can't seem to commit....
Chopper88 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chopper88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 9:17am
I must be getting old, I can’t see any rating events ????
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 9:54am
I actually think it might work. You are likely to play fewer events, but may be more matches. Here is an approximate schedule I could come up with:

Sunday - play rating estimation event 'just because' - does not impact your rating, but serves as a warmup. Let's say 3 matches at least (RR group)

Monday-Wednesday: Giant 2-stage RR (event 73). Probably 5 matches each day, may be more on Wednesday f you advance to SE?

Thursday: 50+. At least 4 matches, 3 in RR and at least one in SE bracket: either championship or consolation. Looks exactly like a format at World Veterans.

Friday: 40+, the same, 4+ matches.

So, in total 23+ meaningful matches, plus whatever you get on Sunday. Most of them are likely to be competitive. That's not that different from what I've had in 2016 at the Open and it looks like it will be better distributed across the week.

Yes, you don't get to play in the main Open event when you are rated ~1700. Not a huge loss.

De-emphasizing rating-based events might actually be a good thing, IMHO. Could reduce incentive to manipulate/manage ratings in preparation to big tournament. Probably will reduce complaints of "how come I am playing this 1200-rated kid who ends up later adjusted to ~2000". And may be that kid no longer has reason to keep his rating artificially low in order to win a medal. Although I won't be surprised if trophy-oriented folks will figure out how to dump matches in Giant RR format too.

So, in my case (your situation might be different) - it looks like not a big deal and might actually be better.

ttforlife View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 10:16am
How many players will be in the 2nd and 3rd group of the tiered singles event?
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

I actually think it might work. You are likely to play fewer events, but may be more matches. Here is an approximate schedule I could come up with:

Sunday - play rating estimation event 'just because' - does not impact your rating, but serves as a warmup. Let's say 3 matches at least (RR group)

Monday-Wednesday: Giant 2-stage RR (event 73). Probably 5 matches each day, may be more on Wednesday f you advance to SE?

Thursday: 50+. At least 4 matches, 3 in RR and at least one in SE bracket: either championship or consolation. Looks exactly like a format at World Veterans.

Friday: 40+, the same, 4+ matches.

So, in total 23+ meaningful matches, plus whatever you get on Sunday. Most of them are likely to be competitive. That's not that different from what I've had in 2016 at the Open and it looks like it will be better distributed across the week.

Yes, you don't get to play in the main Open event when you are rated ~1700. Not a huge loss.

De-emphasizing rating-based events might actually be a good thing, IMHO. Could reduce incentive to manipulate/manage ratings in preparation to big tournament. Probably will reduce complaints of "how come I am playing this 1200-rated kid who ends up later adjusted to ~2000". And may be that kid no longer has reason to keep his rating artificially low in order to win a medal. Although I won't be surprised if trophy-oriented folks will figure out how to dump matches in Giant RR format too.

So, in my case (your situation might be different) - it looks like not a big deal and might actually be better.

You are not even counting the possible doubles matches that are available to you.  So with doubles even more matches!
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 10:30am
Originally posted by clannewton clannewton wrote:

You are not even counting the possible doubles matches that are available to you.  So with doubles even more matches!

Or Hardbat. Depends on the scheduling though. I only recently started to play doubles here and there and it was more fun than I expected.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic