Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Zhang Jike ALC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amitmnagarwal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zhang Jike ALC
    Posted: 07/03/2018 at 4:49am
Hi All, 

Can anyone provide a feedback for ZHK ALC.

Feel
Speed, 
Control 
Spin.

Which rubbers are more suited to this blade ?
Amit Agarwal

India,Mumbai

Blade : Michael Maze

FH : Acuda S3 2.0 mm
BH : Rakza 7 Soft max
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2018 at 9:13am
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66570&PID=803073
Choo-Lei
PythonMonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PythonMonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/03/2018 at 11:13pm
A pair of rave reviews in piligrim's linked thread from Slevin ("IMO, it is the best ALC blade out there - feels like the Viscaria but with a much better blade balance (assuming you put on heavy rubbers) & a better handle.") and Baal ("To make a long story short, my ZJK-ALC plays very much like a Viscaria, but not just any Viscaria.  It plays like the best Viscaria blades I have ever used because of the handle and weight distribution and feel.") Do you guys still feel the same way about the blade?
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 12:09am
Depends on level and requirements.

The top pros have very strong wrists. They want a heavy, and more important, a very top heavy setup.

The rest of us mortals sometimes find a 90g blade with two T05 on them to be a bit much. Some of use rubbers like MX-P (heavier than T05).

If you use heavy rubbers (especially the 47 deg tensors), the ZJK-ALC may suit you better. If you use lighter rubbers (like the Rasanter R42) or have very strong wrists (or if you just train a lot) & want a head heavy setup, Viscaria may suit better.

Edited by slevin - 07/04/2018 at 12:10am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 3:53pm
Is it popular in your clubs. 

did it became success as compared to timo alc
Amit Agarwal

India,Mumbai

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 4:12pm
It does not make a difference - it is basically the same blade (albeit a bit softer, with a better weight distribution & a bit higher cost)
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

It does not make a difference - it is basically the same blade (albeit a bit softer, with a better weight distribution & a bit higher cost)

bigger handle also. more comfortable. I mean FL. don't know about ST
Choo-Lei
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by PythonMonty PythonMonty wrote:

A pair of rave reviews in piligrim's linked thread from Slevin ("IMO, it is the best ALC blade out there - feels like the Viscaria but with a much better blade balance (assuming you put on heavy rubbers) & a better handle.") and Baal ("To make a long story short, my ZJK-ALC plays very much like a Viscaria, but not just any Viscaria.  It plays like the best Viscaria blades I have ever used because of the handle and weight distribution and feel.") Do you guys still feel the same way about the blade?

Not quite.  I have had opportunity to try additional samples since I wrote that and in retrospect I should not have written quite such a raving review on the basis of just one blade.  Now I would say it is pretty much the same variability as Viscaria, meaning they range from good (at the worst) to very very very good.  Just like Viscaria.  So it comes down to whether you like the feel of the handle.  They are not quite the same (and of course Viscaria cannot be purchased in ST anymore except for really old ones which fetch $1,000 now, which IMHO is insane). 

As for weight distribution, that varies a bit with overall weight.  Also, some people like head heavy and some don't so I would avoid words like "the best blade balance". 

The bottom line is that it's a really good blade.  I have no idea why it costs more than a Viscaria, though. Would the OP prefer it to the Maze he uses now?  Unfortunately the only way he can know is to try one, although he could get a pretty good idea if one of his clubmates had  Viscaria, or a TB-ALC that he could try.  Maze has a quite unusual shape of handle.  It might come down to that more than anything as to how the OP would do with a ZJK-ALC.

Handles matter a lot, and are a very individual preference.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 7:08pm
As for rubbers on a ZJK-ALC, I only played it with Tenergy 05.  But I have tried quite a few rubbers on a a Viscaria.  You can use pretty much any modern offensive style rubber with this blade.  So Tenergy, Rasanter, Blusestorm, Blue Fire, Omega, Mantra etc. etc. etc. should all work well.  Of course. Chinese players use Hurricane of various sorts on the FH side.  These blades are pretty versatile.  If it was me, I would start with the same rubbers I am used to on my current blade.

I don't agree with SLevin that there is systematic difference such that some rubbers will work better on ZJK-ALC vs a Viscaria.  I am simply not that much of an EJ master.  But, unlike SLevin, I am not able to discern from ball trajectories as seen on a youtube video whether Mitzutani at one time or another was using a ZLC or a sZLC version of his blade.

These days I use Karis M, but I know that not everybody like that rubber, at least not immediately.  It suits me though.
MalinHD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MalinHD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 11:44pm
I have used Yasaka all wood blades for 8 years (YEO & GOIABAO 5) and just bought a ZJK ALC penhold. It is absolutely more powerful but quite stiff and less controllable. I don't like the feeling of play with the ZJK and already returned to wood blades.

The ZJK alc is also much heavier than YEO or Goiabao 5, which is not good for cpen players.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 6:53am
I think you need to give time to any blade.

I played with old blade of ZHK, and it was very soft and good control.

It had distinct soft feel with T05FX and was able to lift backspin easily.

Amit Agarwal

India,Mumbai

opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by MalinHD MalinHD wrote:

I have used Yasaka all wood blades for 8 years (YEO & GOIABAO 5) and just bought a ZJK ALC penhold. It is absolutely more powerful but quite stiff and less controllable. I don't like the feeling of play with the ZJK and already returned to wood blades.

The ZJK alc is also much heavier than YEO or Goiabao 5, which is not good for cpen players.

That's interesting!  I had a different experience.

I switched from a YEO like blade over to ZJK ALC and found it much more controllable for my game - I preferred less vibration and the increased speed.

My ZJK ALC is 84 grams without a rubber - I prefer 85 grams or less.  The YEO that I tried was actually heavier.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2018 at 3:39pm
Thanks for the reply.

which rubbers will best suit it?

I thinking t80fx on FH and Rakza 7 on bh

Amit Agarwal

India,Mumbai

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 9:18pm
If it was me I would start with the same rubbers you use on your Maze. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 8:45am
Interesting..

I think your reason is that, first let me settle with first the blade and then change the rubbers..

Amit Agarwal

India,Mumbai

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 7:09am
So finally how does it compare against the Timo Boll ALC.

Has it being used in clubs, sparingly or commonly ?
Amit Agarwal

India,Mumbai

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 11:14pm
Originally posted by amitmnagarwal amitmnagarwal wrote:

Interesting..

I think your reason is that, first let me settle with first the blade and then change the rubbers..

Exactly.  Only change one variable at a time, otherwise how can you know what is going on?

As for the TB-ALC, it is another blade very similar to the ZJK-ALC and the Viscaria.  The main difference is blade weight balance and handle, also the surface of TB-ALC is a bit shiny as if the surface was treated with UV light or something.

These blades (and also the TBS) are all made for more or less the same kind of player (in fact Timo himself used a Viscaria in his very young years before they came out with the TBS, and of course now he plays a TB-ALC).  You might have a slight preference for one over the other but also you would get perfectly comfortable switching from one to the other in a fairly short period of time.  I like them all.  I like Viscaria best because I like the handle.

One last thing, in my town I see lots of TB-ALCs and quite a few Viscarias, I think I may be the only person in the clubs I play who has owned ZJK-ALCs.  (I have had the new and old versions).

I don't think you would find any of these blades that difficult of an adjustment coming from a Maze.  I am just wondering what it is you think you want that makes you want to try something new.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amitmnagarwal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2018 at 9:21am
Baal, 

My Maze has being very old , Also i needed more direct feeling and good blocks in BH.

Hence thinking of Koto blade.

Selvin:

Is the softest among the Koto family of TBS, TB ALC, Viscarias ??

Amit Agarwal

India,Mumbai

prorefurbltd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prorefurbltd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2018 at 9:36am
No stick to sand paper and use chopping board instead viscaria:)) 
Spin To Win
Simon_plays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2018 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by amitmnagarwal amitmnagarwal wrote:

Baal, 

My Maze has being very old , Also i needed more direct feeling and good blocks in BH.

Hence thinking of Koto blade.

Selvin:

Is the softest among the Koto family of TBS, TB ALC, Viscarias ??

If only there was a wood softer than koto... hmmm... limba? Now, if only they made an ALC blade with limba... hmmm... the Maze you say?... Now, if only they made it a bit harder, more kick and power. A harder limba. That's what I need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic