tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

US Nationals 2018

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US Nationals 2018
    Posted: 07/04/2018 at 1:18am
July 2-7

645 entries

There will be some live viewing.
Check at USATT webpage.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2018 at 9:59pm
Women's Singles

Lily Zhang WR 56 loses in round of 16, not sure it was an upset since Juan Liu is higher Usatt rated.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 11:54am
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Women's Singles

Lily Zhang WR 56 loses in round of 16, not sure it was an upset since Juan Liu is higher Usatt rated.

2646, and the 2012 US Open champion. So she now has US citizenship and is still (again?) playing at a high level. Lefty penholder.
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 2:18pm
Liu Juan coaches and plays at NYISC here in New York city. Did anybody record the video where she beat Lily? Here is a short clip of her and Taylor Wang training at our club from 2 years ago. I have had back issues for 2 months now, hope to get back to playing soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnRp4Mqqrfw&t=33s

Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

Liu Juan coaches and plays at NYISC here in New York city. Did anybody record the video where she beat Lily? 

The match was actually streamed yesterday - here it is (starting at 7h16):

Good commentary by Matt Hetherington. He explains that this is the first time that US Nationals uses ITTF rankings first before taking into account USATT ratings, which led to this round of 16 clash between the 2 highest rated players. That kind of seeding makes sense in US Open (because of all the foreign players without USATT rating) but not at Nationals.

Let's see whether Liu Juan can go all the way or whether the others can handle her style better.

Edit: well, she just destroyed Amy Wang 7 2 8 3.

Edited by amateur - 07/05/2018 at 3:14pm
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 7:04pm
Semifinals have started.

Liu Juan vs Crystal Wang
Wu Yue vs Angela Guan

Kanak Jha vs Sharon Alguetti
Tom Feng vs Gao Yan Jun
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 9:53pm

Angela Guan defeated Yue Wu

The match went to expedite due to Angela's defense. The plastic ball hasn't hurt the defender's game in the USA.
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by LUCKYLOOP LUCKYLOOP wrote:

Angela Guan defeated Yue Wu

The match went to expedite due to Angela's defense. The plastic ball hasn't hurt the defender's game in the USA.

The match went to expedite due to Jennifer's pushing... Angela is amazingly consistent, but I fear that the final will be one-sided. There'll be a new women's champ in any case!
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 11:17am
I expect Juan Liu to warm up with Jian Li in preparation for Angela Guan.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

I expect Juan Liu to warm up with Jian Li in preparation for Angela Guan.

What is your prediction ? I don't think Jian Li is in Vegas.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Liu Juan coaches and plays at NYISC here in New York city. Did anybody record the video where she beat Lily? 

The match was actually streamed yesterday - here it is (starting at 7h16):

Good commentary by Matt Hetherington. He explains that this is the first time that US Nationals uses ITTF rankings first before taking into account USATT ratings, which led to this round of 16 clash between the 2 highest rated players. That kind of seeding makes sense in US Open (because of all the foreign players without USATT rating) but not at Nationals.

Let's see whether Liu Juan can go all the way or whether the others can handle her style better.

Edit: well, she just destroyed Amy Wang 7 2 8 3.

Thank You for the link. Much appreciated. Go Liu Juan!!!
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 3:02pm

Liu Juan coaches and plays at NYISC here in New York city. Did anybody record the video where she beat Lily? Here is a short clip of her and Taylor Wang training at our club from 2 years ago. I have had back issues for 2 months now, hope to get back to playing soon.

Ive been at NYISC for past month or so... she is a treat to watch, really amazing penhold action.
Main: Hadraw VK FL 82g | 2x T05 2.1
TBT: Diode V FL | Rozena 1.9 | FL3 0.5
FS Feedback
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Ive been at NYISC for past month or so... she is a treat to watch, really amazing penhold action.

DreiZ, i hope we can meet up after i heal up from my injury. Are you a permanent member now?
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Liu Juan 9 years ago - Baltimore Teams (with East China University of Science and Technology):

Edited by amateur - 07/06/2018 at 3:36pm
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 4:59pm
Good lord, that's like half of Eugene........

:)
idk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 5:58pm
Anyone have an explanation for Adar Alguetti's incredibly cringey cho'ing display at the end of the U21 QF match?

Can't see anything in the match that prompted that but don't have the time to watch it fully right now

Edited by idk - 07/06/2018 at 5:58pm
W7 baby
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2018 at 1:30am

Congratulations National Champions Men's & Women's Singles

Juan Liu 4-0

Kanak Jha 4-2
jk92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jk92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2018 at 7:49am
Feng yijun took more games off of Kanak than I expected, he played quite well despite Kanak being a world class player now
Palio R57 Penhold
729 Battle II FH
Rasanter R42 BH
Tiggs_1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiggs_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2018 at 10:21am
Feng played at top of his game and for a while looked like a top 20 player.  He has a huge penholder weakness...he almost always loses the point when backed into his backhand far from the table.  His short game was also lacking as when Kanak kept it short, he won around 80% of the time....but Kanak's short game is his strength
bestvela View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bestvela Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2018 at 10:35am
ops it an older post, i thought i just released now
https://bestvela.com/best-ping-pong-paddle
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2018 at 4:49pm
A question:  Under the current rules, is Liu Juan eligible for representing the U.S. in the World Championships, the ITTF World Tour, and/or the Olympics?

Thanks.....
Donn
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2018 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

A question:  Under the current rules, is Liu Juan eligible for representing the U.S. in the World Championships, the ITTF World Tour, and/or the Olympics?

Thanks.....

World Championships and World Cups: no

World Tour and OLYMPICS: yes

The post-match interview was awkward (and not just because of Ryan Willard). I'm sure she can speak some English, right?
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2018 at 6:46pm
Thank you!

Yes, I agree about the interview with Liu Juan.  If an interview is scheduled, then I'm sure much more preparation is required to make it of value and not an embarrassment.  Thoughtful questions need to be asked, reflecting the specific player and her circumstance, not boiler plate inquiries that are, essentially, unanswerable here in consideration of an athlete with overwhelming competency compared to the field.

In addition, the translator needs to have a strong professional background in this function so as to articulate fluent and robust English language expression.

If such standards cannot be met, then let's skip the interview.  

Also, one last point: This very-impressively-presentation-developing sport of table tennis needs to distinguish in its events between the entertainment dimension and the much more analytical element of the communications.  As an example: Matt Hetherington is not an entertainer, but a serious student of the sport that contributes much value.  Other participants clearly are striving to enhance the entertainment element, yet they function in roles that are more properly understood to be primarily of non-entertainment functionality.  The unfortunate consequence of this is a considerable debasing of an event that is regarded substantively by the many who participate in various ways.  A close observation of other professionally-presented sports show a high awareness of this distinction.

Thanks again.
Donn
ttforlife View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttforlife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 3:19pm
Regarding the Rated Events Round Robin Format - 6 player groups was advertised as a balance for allowing 7 instead of 9 events. Why was there a bait and switch? Several of my club mates might not have gone had we known only 4 players were going to be in the group, and some groups only had 3 due to signups. This plus the defaults in my groups, i barely got over 10 matches... not so happy about that..
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

Regarding the Rated Events Round Robin Format - 6 player groups was advertised as a balance for allowing 7 instead of 9 events. Why was there a bait and switch? Several of my club mates might not have gone had we known only 4 players were going to be in the group, and some groups only had 3 due to signups. This plus the defaults in my groups, i barely got over 10 matches... not so happy about that..
It was a mistake on their end. When I brought it up Sunday after looking at the (at playing site about 5:30pm) draws it was like a bomb went off in his head. After some discussion it was determined that it was to late to change due to lack of time and not having enough tables. I think part of this error was caused by all the other attention and resources used for the WVC. I still was able to play around 35 matches over the week
https://www.facebook.com/SeattlePacificTableTennisClub/timeline
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Anyone have an explanation for Adar Alguetti's incredibly cringey cho'ing display at the end of the U21 QF match?

Can't see anything in the match that prompted that but don't have the time to watch it fully right now

Ugh, that was really bad - cho'ing at the top of your lungs in three different directions (including your opponent) must have been prompted by something... I didn't see anything either, but hard to see how that could be justified.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by ttforlife ttforlife wrote:

I was also disappointed the the change.  I heard a veteran player say that in his 29 years attending the Nationals, this years was the poorest planed. 
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by opinari opinari wrote:

Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Ugh, that was really bad - cho'ing at the top of your lungs in three different directions (including your opponent) must have been prompted by something... I didn't see anything either, but hard to see how that could be justified.

Adar was presented with an award by Danny Seemiller between the Women's and Men's final, but I wasn't paying much attention. Perhaps it was an award for loudest cho?

Edited by heavyspin - 07/10/2018 at 6:59pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 1:34am
If I was there to cheer for Adar's opponent (or him) it would have been a game changer. His parent would be jaw dropped. No one out cheers me after I am knocked out of tourney and have only supporting the remaining team members to do. Nobody.

Winning points is one way to silence a Cho.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic