FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Injured Members, Share Your Pain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Injured Members, Share Your Pain
    Posted: 07/05/2018 at 7:52pm
There is tremendous value in how we heal when we are unfortunate enough to be injured. Sometimes negligence is to blame; but it also could be genes, food, or simply bad luck. In any case to road to recovery may be long and slow, testing the player's ability to deal with moderation, that one being so badly needed when a naturally slow process is at play.

Tell your story, describe the feel going through the pain itself and the pain to make it go away in the healing process.

I was once -still am- inspired by Navi, above all threads by this one:

Kakapo's post is enerving, we can sense how restless he is not able to play.

Pushblocker went down the injury lane too:

There are many more. Mention them, down the road we will maybe need one place to go and get them all at once.

I had plantar fasciitis for about 10 months, I could play but it was taking forever to warm up and the day after I would be in such pain...I also had both shoulders frozen. The MRI would not show anything and the orthopedist, taking care of pro BBall players, said it was all in my head #@$%^!!!

Edited by fatt - 07/05/2018 at 8:05pm
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 8:03pm
I actually have 2 injuries.. One has gotten 95% better (pain from tear in my right meniscus (tore it in 2015 but have been ok for the last 3 years until recently)) and the other one is still a major problem. Tennis elbow.. I can't even take a drink from the car's cupholder with my right hand without pain. I switched to my left hand when playing during my lunch break at work. It will take at least 2 months before I can play with my right hand again. I play good enough with my left hand to beat all the recreational players at the office.. Won't go to the club until I'm healed.. Would get slaughtered playing with my left hand..

Edited by Pushblocker - 07/05/2018 at 8:11pm
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon OX with removed glue sheet on backhand
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 8:06pm
Herniated lumbar disk.  I don't know if it was caused by TT.  I is ok now (after surgery).  Occasional pains recur there that I listen to very closely now but nothing like that one time when I was completely incapacitated.  Mild Achilles tendonitis.  Not so bad now.  Tennis elbow.  Gone now. 

Pain while you play is not something you can ignore and it is not normal.  It means you need to change something you are doing (or equipment, bearing in mind that shoes are equipment too). 

Repetitive use injuries, which are what we tend to get in our sport, are really persistent and hard to get to go away.  Plantar fasciitis that Fatt had is particularly stubborn. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2018 at 8:13pm
By the way, some of you know that I am a biomedical scientist for a living.  I have done a lot of reading of the scientific literature on tendons and tendonitis (needed to know what was happening to my own  Achilles).  It was pretty easy for me because my own research these days pertains to inflammatory and fibrotic conditions in other organs, so the literature was pretty easy for me to digest. 

Chronic tendon conditions can take longer than many others to heal because the inflammatory component is quite often fairly small (and that is the only component that responds to things like ibuprofen or ice, or even steroids in many cases).  The main component of tendonitis is "degenerative", meaning that the tenocytes (tendon cells) actually change into something else (they de-differentiate).  These days the preferred term to reflect that is "tendonopathy"*.  That is why it takes so much rest to recover from tendon injuries (for example IT band problems, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonopathy, and some kinds of tennis or golf elbow).  You kind of have to let your body reconstruct the thing and the cells needed tend to do things very slowly (meaning you can continue to tear it down faster than you can rebuild it).  And for us, rest is the hardest thing to do and the problem is that the amount of rest we usually need is enough to completely degrade our levels.

But that is what you have to do.  Or live with it.  Just know that the longer it goes on the longer it takes to recover.

* Tendon conditions are heterogenous, but what I described above is really common.  There are probably cases where inflammation is a bigger part of the problem and those tend to recover more quickly.  To the patient it feels the same.
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 1:26am
Two arthroscopic hip surgeries, 3 months apart, in the second half of 2016 - bone spurs on the femoral heads and cartilage damage to the hip sockets (https://youtu.be/qZENYF4vDFY). Was supposed to take 2x3 months off, shaved it down to 2x6 weeks.
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 3:21am
I have plantar fasciitis (thank you Wave Medal5) I can still play, but without my usual intensive foot work. Now I am resting due to the summer vacation of my club , hoping that one month will be enough to come back to normal. Two months ago I took anti inflammatory treatment which didn't help much, but miraculously cured the persisting problem I had with my shoulder. The only thing I do now is wearing Skechers and some ice treatment few times a day. Seem to be better..... I will deeply appreciate any advices from guys who went through that

Edited by Kolev - 07/06/2018 at 3:23am
4x Hallmark Carbon Extreme
FH: RakzaX,
BH: any fast and light rubber
BRS View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 8:53am
2-3 years ago I had plantar fasciitis on the right side. I bought a cheap brace that pulls your foot into a position that allows the foot to heal. I slept (or failed to sleep) wearing that thing for a couple months. No recurrences yet.

Had a shoulder overuse injury that went on for about a year after a period of intensive training. I switched to a much lighter ~140 gms setup for a year or so, and rolled it on a tennis ball against the wall 3-4 times a day. Eventually resolved. I also had to sell my last robot to heal this one. I think the near-identical balls from the robot aggravated the overuse, same swing again and again.

I also have a herniated disk in my neck and lots of other degenerative changes there. I manage it with posture, stretching, ice, chiropractic, and acupuncture. No pain meds or anti-inflammatories. Also no high inpact, change shoes every two months, no weights, no doing anything with weight above my shoulders, no sitting for more than 30 min without a break to move. The slump-shouldered playing position for TT causes pretty bad pain after a while. If I am playing a long day I will do several full sets of stretches including legs up the wall.

And now I have golfers elbow. The return board I bought unfortunately caused and aggravates the elbow.   I got so happy when it first arrived that I looped about three hours the first 24 hours and immediately caused this problem. Since then I have limited my returnboard time, but only enough to minimize the injury and not really allow it to heal. So now with a camp that is very important to me coming up I put the thing back in the box, and it won't be set up again until I go a month or two without elbow pain. I'm going to see what the chiro can do for it also, maybe some ultrasound therapy.

Edited by BRS - 07/06/2018 at 8:55am
SignatureDish81 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SignatureDish81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 9:47am
Previously undiagnosed torn PCL in right knee that's been torn and absent from the battle for over 20 years = completely torn menisci in right knee (repaired) / arthritis in tibia discovered at 25. Managed with regular low-intensity aerobic exercise and bodyweight squats/lunges, and also a few pt exercises to try and maintain good patella tendon tracking, for whatever it's worth. 

History of plantar fasciitis in right foot, managed by proper footwear and additional insoles in right shoe. Right leg ~1/2 inch shorter than left, so took recommendation of goofy chiropractor to put more insoles in. It doesn't make anything worse to have the insoles in and may decrease imbalances down the road I hope. New Balance shoes seem to treat me well.

Diagnosed SI Joint Dysfunction and mild disc protrusion at l5/s1, no nerve entrapment. Managed with 90 resistance band back bridges / clams with resistance band / reverse clams 2-3x weekly. Experienced intolerable discomfort when sitting for the first 6 months, and moderate discomfort onward, but I generally avoid sitting now except for the last 2-3 hours of the day. Standing work station during the day and sitting criss cross apple sauce or laying down at night. Issue did not exist until start of 2017 when lifting partner dropped his side of a washing machine 16 inches from the ground. Injury likely related to years of body compensating with imbalances.

DeQuervain Tenosynovitis and carpal bossing resulting in diffuse tendinopathy.  A small bone growth on the back of my hand from a childhood fall which had been benign since childhood, decided to start growing again due to me practicing that backhand banana flick 3 hours a day (don't jump into that kind of training). Maybe rolling the tendon over the bump over and over again inspired it to grow? Under guidance of trained physicians, I tried 3 months of rest and playing left handed only, wearing brace on right hand, but symptoms persisted and I work with my hands, so it was treated surgically by creating a channel in the bossing for the tendon to guide through, along with the Dequervain release opening up that tendon pathway. Small flare ups from time to time, but proper rest days between training and some stretching keeps it in check.

Went from USATT 900 to 1570+ in 2 years since starting to train in Summer 2016.
WeebleWobble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeebleWobble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 10:49am
I was having be problems with my hips for months. Started taking NOW yucca root for something else and the pain went away almost over nite. Yucca is commonly given to dogs for hip problems but is used by humans too for various joint issues. It clears excess ammonia from the blood as well. And is pretty cheap, I take two a day.

I have plantar fasciitis as well although it doesn't bother me much while playing. I found that Brooks ghost sneakers while not playing seemed to help a bit compared to other shoes. Stretching and using a ball to roll your feet on is helpful too.

Edited by WeebleWobble - 07/06/2018 at 10:49am
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by WeebleWobble WeebleWobble wrote:

I was having be problems with my hips for months. Started taking NOW yucca root for something else and the pain went away almost over nite. Yucca is commonly given to dogs for hip problems but is used by humans too for various joint issues. It clears excess ammonia from the blood as well. And is pretty cheap, I take two a day.

I have plantar fasciitis as well although it doesn't bother me much while playing. I found that Brooks ghost sneakers while not playing seemed to help a bit compared to other shoes. Stretching and using a ball to roll your feet on is helpful too.

Im going to have to look into Yucca root remedies. I have various inflammation issues. 
Main: Hadraw VK FL 82g | 2x T05 2.1
TBT: Diode V FL | Rozena 1.9 | FL3 0.5
FS Feedback
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2018 at 4:32pm
I've had annual back issues (or, it seems to happen about once a year, usually right before a big tournament).

It is like my L4 or L5 vertebrae - I've had it x-rayed and it is bulging.  It causes immense pain issues with regard to being able to bend over.  Sometimes coughing or sneezing is a death sentence.  Just turning over in bed at times is almost impossible.  It also causes me to grunt when I pick up the ball (embarrassing), and I have to pick up the ball bending at the knees instead of bending over at the waist.

Usually rest is the key, but trying to twist and 'crack' the spine (like cracking knuckles) makes it feel a little better (but is probably not a good thing to do).

:)
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

I have plantar fasciitis (thank you Wave Medal5) I can still play, but without my usual intensive foot work. Now I am resting due to the summer vacation of my club , hoping that one month will be enough to come back to normal. Two months ago I took anti inflammatory treatment which didn't help much, but miraculously cured the persisting problem I had with my shoulder. The only thing I do now is wearing Skechers and some ice treatment few times a day. Seem to be better..... I will deeply appreciate any advices from guys who went through that

I know I am going to mightily piss off makers of expensive drugs or medical products/procedures… but if your Plantar Fasciitis condition isn't where the whole thing is torn off, or caused by a physical growth rubbing and tearing you, then please know you can recover without any of the huge expense or further damage going the other route.

The pain you get is from tearing up those fibers during the day more than what you are healing them at night. They get tore up more as you get older because you are heavier, trying to do more explosive stuff, and your foot gear is not right for what you are trying to do. What is in your blood and given enough circulation, you heal yourself - this is true of many things. 

So you have the destroying and healing going on, but the numbers of the destroying are winning out. You can change the natural healing side in your favor, but that will likely not overcome the damaging force side of large force with unsuitable foot gear.

I use a simple footwear insert shaped the right way to support the bottom of my foot during the day. It really made the difference. Worn the right way (snug), if I walked some during the day, I ripped up less fibers and had better circulation there. Plus at night, I ended up healing a lot more. I did not take any meds or use any devices at night nor did I have a surgical procedure done on me.

I was in some serious pain (one foot some more than the other) for months before I ran into someone who got had a similar issue and got healed. The simple task of walking across the street in the morning was real tough. Any distance walking even tougher.

I saw an almost immediate improvement using just the inserts. Within one week, I could really feel the improvement. Within two weeks, it felt like I improved 80-90%. It was almost like it completely disappeared. 

Now, I wear my inserts with my work shoes/boots in day, and my TT shoes with the original insert (if it is looking OK to me - if not, I have a low riding one to use). I have been pain-free for 13 years now. Remarkable as I have gotten 50 pounds heavier and play more explosively and better level than my rec playing days. I tried the inserts on my TT shoes with the original TT shoe insert removed. It was a little too high and I discontinued. 

I was able to sustain this in Korea playing 4-5 hours a night daily for 4 yrs. I sustain this in USA playing 3x a week.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2018 at 1:03pm
Reading Baal's post above on tendons, I so agree, tendons are much tougher to heal. Blood just doesn't make it to tendons as good as it does in muscles - not even close. Takes extra time to heal tendons... and that is if you completely stop doing what damaged it.

Not optimal bio mechanics, continued extreme explosive force, or just enough of the wrong stress wile having a tendon injury will make the overall account much like a young man making $3000 a month, but spending $3400 a month regularly.

There are a few other ways to help the circulation. Nutrition, far infrared and near infrared light, movement that will not cause overload, massage (hands, ball, roller, device). EDIT: NOT SITTING DOWN, walking, light exercise. These will help accelerate healing. Nothing will replace avoiding movement that causes overload. Unfortunately, with an injury, even basic life movements, like getting dressed can be an overload. It can be tough.

I had a rotator cuff tear grade 2 on my hitting shoulder. (Non-TT injury, I was out of TT at the time) It could have healed itself if I completely layed off anything to tear it again and let it go 4-6 months... Just tucking in my short was a mission impossible with that injury. After a month, I discovered and used a far-infrared shoulder device intermittently for a few hours daily. In 6 weeks I was almost a new man. In 2 months, I was back to cracking backhands. Before, just extending arm and turning it was a world of pain. No issues since.

Edited by BH-Man - 07/08/2018 at 1:05pm
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2018 at 1:27pm
In 2010 I had both knees replaced due to bone on bone osteoarthritis. Prior, I could barely bend down to pick up the ball. Painkillers, hyaluronic acid knee injections, etc.- nothing helped. The post-op therapy was a painful few months but well worth it.
Tony
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/08/2018 at 10:47pm
I have a TT friend who has delayed getting this done, he doesn't want to miss months out of the sport, but he is gunna have to tap out sometime and get it done, or be in even more agony.
acpoulos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acpoulos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 11:45am
Exactly. If one does their due diligence in selecting a surgeon and religously does the post-op therapy, 2 months later you will be playing and happy.
Tony
man_iii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote man_iii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 7:48am
Tennis-Elbow  ---> forcing through the pain caused ---> Golf-Elbow   caused by the 190 grams racket. 

IIOTB ---> over-compensating for the pain caused and led to ----> Plantar Fascitis, Hip pain,etc.

Fixed the elbow by switching to Balsa blades, Euro rubbers.

Fixed the legs by analysing gait- and step- and movement problems like pronation etc.

TOOK 3 - 4 YEARS TOTALLY TO RECOVER FROM ALL THE PROBLEMS!

GO SEE A DOCTOR AND GET IT FIXED FROM A QUALIFIED PHYSICIAN!

LOL  Big smile Clap

You can always play another day, another time. Happy and pain-free. 
SignatureDish81 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SignatureDish81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 4:08pm
Has anyone tried playing while waiting on surgery for an inguinal hernia?
Simas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/28/2018 at 2:44pm
my contribution to the thread:
-tennis elbow -not a severe case. It was quite bad some time ago, had to take a rest for a month or so (the hardest part for sure), bought a lot of different elbow supports /straps, braces, but not sure if they helped. Now I am ok, I can feel it lightly from time to time. I am always wearing support sleeve and applying cooling -soothing roll-on liquid from time to time
-the complete tear of anterior cruciate ligaments when skying. That was a very sweeeet experience. Had a surgery and long rehabilitation. But now I am ok :)
Stiga Offensive Classic Legend
DHS Hurricane Neo3
Donic Bluefire JP01 Turbo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic