FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

NYC table tennis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NYC table tennis
    Posted: 07/09/2018 at 10:20am
I will be in New York city for work. I have saturday free. I am staying at a motel 201 W 79th street. As best i can tell there are 2 clubs pretty close, Manhattan table tennis club and Wang Chen. Which one should i try to visit? I am 1700ish USATT and hope to not get ignored. May be willing to pay for some coaching. Anybody got some recommendations?
Gambler Hinoki Vector or AVX J power-Double inverted. Gambler mech tek FH black on FH, tibhar elp or T05 red on BH. I can't seem to commit....
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 12:56pm
westchester tt                             1
ny indoor sports club flushing .     2 
cccf flushing                                3
spin ny on 23 st and park ave .     6 
nissons in brooklyn                      4
wang chens i think on 100 street  7
jon ebuens club not sure where it is 5

Edited by Purett - 07/09/2018 at 12:59pm
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 3:06pm
If you don't want to be ignored AVOID Wang Chen's. I was totally ignored plus it's very cramped and a bad place to play overall
Blade - Butterfly Joo Saehyuk ST
Forehand - Xiom Omega 5 Asia
Backhand - Xiom Vega Europe DF
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

westchester tt                             1
ny indoor sports club flushing .     2 
cccf flushing                                3
spin ny on 23 st and park ave .     6 
nissons in brooklyn                      4
wang chens i think on 100 street  7
jon ebuens club not sure where it is 5

That's a good list - if you are in NYC during last weekend of the month, then definitely make a trip to Westchester for their monthly tournament.

I also liked going to Flushing from Manhattan, it's ~30 min subway ride from Manhattan and you get access to several TT clubs plus some nice Chinese restaurants (soup dumplings!).
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
hleett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hleett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 4:30pm
Yes, Westchester TTC is the best there is. Love this place. Its about 30 miles from midtown. Just take the HH Parkway straight up continue on will become the Saw Mill Pkway to Pleasantville.
http://www.westchestertabletennis.com/
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 9:40pm
From my reading there is (was) a thursday night club  tournament at Wang Chens. I would do Westchester if I had any real time or my wife was not with me. My wife and daughter are planning on going to china town whereever that is. I will look around. Thanx for any help.

No one has heard of manhattan TT I guess....
Gambler Hinoki Vector or AVX J power-Double inverted. Gambler mech tek FH black on FH, tibhar elp or T05 red on BH. I can't seem to commit....
opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

I will be in New York city for work. I have saturday free. I am staying at a motel 201 W 79th street. As best i can tell there are 2 clubs pretty close, Manhattan table tennis club and Wang Chen. Which one should i try to visit? I am 1700ish USATT and hope to not get ignored. May be willing to pay for some coaching. Anybody got some recommendations?

NY Table Tennis Academy (Jon's club at the gym in the Jan Hus Presbyterian Church) would have been ideal - most of the players there are sub-2000 players (though there's a few well above 2000) and the club is extremely welcoming.  The conditions there are also the best in Manhattan - air conditioning, tons of space, great lighting and six butterfly centerfolds.

Unfortunately, they're not open on Saturdays, but Sundays from 12 - 3:30pm. 

In Manhattan, second best is Wang Chen's.  Saturday is actually probably the best day to go - if I recall correctly, one group of folks play in early afternoon and another group plays late at night.  You should call them before you go to see if there are folks there.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 10:45pm
I start traveling to various TT clubs around the country and you just have to go and try to one up me.

Headed to Sonora and Modesto, Ca for play with Mts388.

Can you top that?

Mark - Lone member of the GITTTC.

PS - Hope you and family are doing well.
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2018 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I start traveling to various TT clubs around the country and you just have to go and try to one up me.

Can you top that?

Only way to top some play with Mts388 would be a match with der echte, but that ain't happening
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 12:05am
If you have time come to flushing, plenty of clubs there.

NYISC http://indoorsportsny.com/
and
NYTT http://nytabletennis.com/xe/

are the ones I would recommend.
Main: Hadraw VK FL 82g | 2x T05 2.1
TBT: Diode V FL | Rozena 1.9 | FL3 0.5
FS Feedback
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 12:25am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Can you top that?

You will be the envy of the forum after your play in Modesto and Sonora CA.  I'll even take you to Sacramento so you can hit with BH-Man.  Your week can't get any better than that. 

We are very selective and only a few forum members have been allowed to play with us.
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 7:23am
So there you go. mjamja wins again. Living the ping pong junkie life. (My wife and I have friends in Sonora, maybe, just maybe someday....)
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 10:38am
mts388, I hope I can join that list in the future when I get a chance to visit! :)

I went to Sacramento a few years ago, but missed the chance to play!
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2018 at 1:39pm

So there you go. mjamja wins again. Living the ping pong junkie life. (My wife and I have friends in Sonora, maybe, just maybe someday....)

Not just anybody can play in Sonora.  I'll talk to mjamja and if he gives his approval, you will be welcomed.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 1:45am
mts, Is Chris gunna be able to come up for this TT mission? I got a few LP friends here he would like. I am worthless and totally not worth the reason to come up here, but I could hook him up with new friends.

Bring the cameras and tripods, it could get epic in Sacramento.

Edited by BH-Man - 07/12/2018 at 1:46am
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 1:49am
I really miss my times visiting NYC TT clubs. Van, you ought hookup with Opinari at the Korean Flushing club.

You could also get on Table Tennis Daily, lots of NYC folk on that place too. You gotta run into your long lost brother Upside Down Carl. He will take you to SPiN for free.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 1:52am

Only way to top some play with Mts388 would be a match with der echte, but that ain't happening
Why do people want some of that Der_Echte? That character is so worthless, that it makes BH-Man look halfway humane. Big smile
bars View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 1:58am
edit

Edited by bars - 07/12/2018 at 6:23am
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Not just anybody can play in Sonora.  I'll talk to mjamja and if he gives his approval, you will be welcomed.

Coach Nam Just texted me that two Jammaican national players will be present - Cane and his fellow team mate.

I will try to be at SITTA club early enough to have a hit before it all kicks off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic