tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

GITTTC at Tri-cities TT Club, Prescott,Az

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GITTTC at Tri-cities TT Club, Prescott,Az
    Posted: 07/11/2018 at 4:42pm
I spent a few days before and after the WVC2018 in Prescott, Az.  The Tri-cities TT club there draws players from Prescott, Prescott Valley, and Chino.  It is a small club much like my former club in Corpus Christi.  They play in a work out room at a fitness gym 3 days a week.  Most players are seniors and most are under 1200 level.  I ended up doing a lot of coaching with most of the players.  However, the top player at the club gave me some great practice.

He has not played in USATT events in a long time so his rating is out of date.  But a couple of years back he beat a 2000, 2100, and a 2300 player to win his age group at the National Senior Games TT event.  The 2300 player was Randy Hou from Houston who I have played a couple of times.  Steve has a unique game.  He has a LP game very much like Pushblocker with great angles and the ability to block even my best loops back very short.  However, he plays with sort of a Seemiller grip so there is no inverted side to attack.  Then add in the ability to hit on the Fh with the LP's against underspin and topspin.  He also twiddles to use the inverted on the Bh side to attack topspin.  There was no safe zone to play to.  He really helped me get ready for the LP players I saw at WVC.

After WCV I made a presentation at the club on "How to Learn TT".  It was about things you can do in a small, match play oriented club to get things you learn into your actual play more quickly.  You have to be a little creative to get in practice at these smaller, match play oriented clubs.  I learned a few things in my training back in Corpus that I passed along to the players in Prescott.

They were a super friendly group and I hope to stop back by on my return trip.

Two videos below.  One showing you the playing venue and one showing 4 points I played against their top player Steve.  I think he tried to make me look good in the video because that was the only time I won more than 2 out of 4 points in probably 6 days of play.  The couple of matches we played he beat me 3-0 (around 11-7 avg) and I do not think he was really in his best form since he does not have much competition in the club.  You know he does not get much competition because he kept telling me how great it was to have some one like me to play with.  I do not get that too often.

Tri-cities TT Club

4 Points Against Steve

Mark - Moving on to Sonora, Ca to play with Mts388

Edited by mjamja - 07/11/2018 at 4:59pm
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 4:51pm
Sorry double posted removed.

Edited by mjamja - 07/11/2018 at 4:58pm
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/11/2018 at 10:33pm
The play area looks really nice. I've been getting better at dealing with long pips recently. Nowadays I don't feel frustrated and I feel like I can control it much better.

Steve will definitely get even better more if he had more competition to play against!

When is the GITTTC planning to stop by Japan? :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic