Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - TableTennisCoaching.com
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > Coaching & Tips > Coaching & Tips

TableTennisCoaching.com

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TableTennisCoaching.com
    Posted: 07/12/2018 at 10:55am

I've been out of town three weeks, but I'm back to daily blogging! Here is this morning's blog. I wrote about Three Weeks in Las Vegas (table tennis writing and coaching); Pinpoint Your Weakness and Then Pinpoint a Drill; USA Nationals; World Veterans Championships; Pan Am Junior Championships; USATT News; Focusing Forward, Top Coaches Meet with High Performance in Mind (by Matt Hetherington); New from Samson Dubina, Tom Lodziak, Eli Baraty, Jon Gustavson, Shashin Shodhan, Emratthich Table Tennis Coach, and PingSkills; Tom's Table Tennis Tips (from Tom Lodziak's newsletter); What Should You Eat To Improve Performance In Table Tennis?; Butterfly Amicus Prime Table Tennis Robot; How Table Tennis Rubber is Made; Maria Sharapova Tries Her Hand at Table Tennis After Wimbledon Exit; and Juggling Pong!

Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/17/2014
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 945
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 1:33pm
Hi Larry,

I want to subscribe to your blog but the Captcha program does not seem to work. Can you please advice? 

Thanks,
Patrick

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by patrickhrdlicka patrickhrdlicka wrote:

Hi Larry,

I want to subscribe to your blog but the Captcha program does not seem to work. Can you please advice? 

Thanks,
Patrick

I only found out about the problem yesterday and I'm working on it. But you don't need to subscribe to read it. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 05/02/2015
Location: Vietnam
Status: Offline
Points: 432
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2018 at 3:55pm
Keep us updated once you've done the write-up on the $10.000 hardbat challenge.
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2018 at 11:23am
I did a blog this morning on the $10,000 Jim Butler - A.J. Carney hardbat match - but can't post it. I'm running into technical issues involving an "overload of MySQL resources." I'm currently on hold with GoDaddy to try to resolve this problem. Until it's fixed, TableTennisCoaching.com will be down. This is irritating - I had 10,000 other things to work on this morning.
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2018 at 10:35am
The site is still down. My technical expert wasn't able to get to it this weekend, but promised to work on it tonight. This is frustrating. My guess is it's a simple fix - deleting a bunch of meaningless files in a folder that's not needed - but I don't even know how to access the folder. I emailed the Drupal help page on Friday night, but no response yet - apparently they close on weekends. 

I'm going out of town (again) this Thursday morning for my annual science fiction writing workshop in Manchester, New Hampshire, and will be gone July 19-29. So I've only got two more blogging days left, and enough material to cover weeks. (From World Veterans, Nationals, USATT board meeting, Butler-Carney match, Surbek, and more.) 
-Larry Hodges


Edited by larrytt - 07/16/2018 at 10:37am
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 8:43am
The site is back up! What had happened was the "Access Log" went over 1 GB, causing an "overload of MySQL resources." it's all fixed now. This morning's blog is rather large, and includes my write-up of the $10,000 Jim Butler-A.J. Carney hardbat challenge. 
-Larry Hodges


Edited by larrytt - 07/17/2018 at 9:13am
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Keep us updated once you've done the write-up on the $10.000 hardbat challenge.
It's up!
-Larry Hodges


Edited by larrytt - 07/17/2018 at 9:13am
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/18/2013
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 880
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 9:02am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

Keep us updated once you've done the write-up on the $10.000 hardbat challenge.
It's up!
http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/2980
-Larry Hodges

The link above gives 'Access denied' message, and your regular blog link shows no posts... Cry
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

[QUOTE=Simon_plays]Keep us updated once you've done the write-up on the $10.000 hardbat challenge.
It's up!
http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/2980
-Larry Hodges

The link above gives 'Access denied' message, and your regular blog link shows no posts... Cry
[/QUOTE
That's strange - it comes up for me. Try it again. (I've enbedded the link.)
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 12921
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 9:16am
Larry, I have come to notice that the main reason you post here is to plug your own blog.
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Larry, I have come to notice that the main reason you post here is to plug your own blog.
I very rarely post about my blog here - please verify this for yourself. I only started this thread because I was out of town for 3.5 weeks and so wanted people to know that I was back to daily blogging. I then posted here when the site went down - since I couldn't put a note on the site itself, I explained what happened here and on Facebook. I was asked to post here when I blogged about the Butler-Carney match, which I did this morning. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/18/2013
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 880
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 9:27am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

That's strange - it comes up for me. Try it again. (I've enbedded the link.)
-Larry Hodges

Still does not work... Curious to see if I'm the only one. Wonder if it comes up for you because you are probably on the same network or logged in as an admin or something...
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
Back to Top
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/14/2009
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 1753
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Larry, I have come to notice that the main reason you post here is to plug your own blog.

Will you make the same comment next time Nexy posts here?


Edited by vvk1 - 07/17/2018 at 9:35am
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 9:44am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

That's strange - it comes up for me. Try it again. (I've enbedded the link.)
-Larry Hodges

Still does not work... Curious to see if I'm the only one. Wonder if it comes up for you because you are probably on the same network or logged in as an admin or something...
I know most people can access it - over 400 have already read this morning's blog. My guess is that when a site goes down, it takes time in some locations for the "fixed" version to proliferate. Try going to the site and then hit "refresh." 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/15/2008
Status: Offline
Points: 122
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:00am
Hi

At 10 a.m. Eastern 7/17/2018  I just copied and pasted the URL into a new browser tab and received this:

Access denied

You are not authorized to access this page.
Donn
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Larry, I have come to notice that the main reason you post here is to plug your own blog.
I know that in this day and age in America facts often don't matter, but here are some facts.
  1. I've started only two threads here about TableTennisCoaching.com. One was in 2011, when I first started the daily (Mon-Fri) blog, and I posted about it three times there. The second was this recent thread, where (excluding responses to direct questions) I've posted six times, and that was only to let people know I was back from a 3.5 week hiatus, and then about the site being down. That's nine postings in seven years, out of 587 total postings I've done here. I've had a few other times where I've responded to a posting here by linking to a blog or tip I wrote about what was being discussed here, but that was just adding to a current discussion here. I haven't gone over all 587 of my postings here, but I doubt if I've posted about my blog more than 15 times. 
  2. I've done over 1800 blogs at TableTennisCoaching.com since 2011. And yet I've only had two short threads here about my blog in seven years. Think about it - I could be posting about it regularly, or at least semi-regularly, and instead waited SEVEN YEARS before I did a second thread about this daily table tennis blog, for reasons give above. And I get accused for only coming here to plug my own blog? 
  3. At TableTennisCoaching.com, I've linked to discussions here eleven times. 
  4. Other than token payments by ads, I do the blog and weekly tips for absolutely nothing - it's a public service. On an hourly rate I make about $1/hour from the ads. No one else does such a daily blog, and hopefully, after winning a few awards for my service, I know something about this sport and a little about writing. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/18/2013
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 880
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:04am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

That's strange - it comes up for me. Try it again. (I've enbedded the link.)
-Larry Hodges

Still does not work... Curious to see if I'm the only one. Wonder if it comes up for you because you are probably on the same network or logged in as an admin or something...
I know most people can access it - over 400 have already read this morning's blog. My guess is that when a site goes down, it takes time in some locations for the "fixed" version to proliferate. Try going to the site and then hit "refresh." 
-Larry Hodges

Or may be they (400+ people) *tried* to read it and got counted in access logs Wink. Looks like DonnOlsen has the same problem. I just tried it on the phone and got same result, 'access denied'.  
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:05am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi

At 10 a.m. Eastern 7/17/2018  I just copied and pasted the URL into a new browser tab and received this:

Access denied

You are not authorized to access this page.
I'll have to look into this. I'm hoping it's just a proliferation thing, but I'm not sure. I'll have my technical adviser look into it.
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:14am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

That's strange - it comes up for me. Try it again. (I've enbedded the link.)
-Larry Hodges

Still does not work... Curious to see if I'm the only one. Wonder if it comes up for you because you are probably on the same network or logged in as an admin or something...
I know most people can access it - over 400 have already read this morning's blog. My guess is that when a site goes down, it takes time in some locations for the "fixed" version to proliferate. Try going to the site and then hit "refresh." 
-Larry Hodges

Or may be they (400+ people) *tried* to read it and got counted in access logs Wink. Looks like DonnOlsen has the same problem. I just tried it on the phone and got same result, 'access denied'.  
You're correct, pgpg - something's wrong. Some can access it, others cannot. Dang!!! 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 12921
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Larry, I have come to notice that the main reason you post here is to plug your own blog.
I know that in this day and age in America facts often don't matter, but here are some facts.
  1. I've started only two threads here about TableTennisCoaching.com. One was in 2011, when I first started the daily (Mon-Fri) blog, and I posted about it three times there. The second was this recent thread, where (excluding responses to direct questions) I've posted six times, and that was only to let people know I was back from a 3.5 week hiatus, and then about the site being down. That's nine postings in seven years, out of 587 total postings I've done here. I've had a few other times where I've responded to a posting here by linking to a blog or tip I wrote about what was being discussed here, but that was just adding to a current discussion here. I haven't gone over all 587 of my postings here, but I doubt if I've posted about my blog more than 15 times. 
  2. I've done over 1800 blogs at TableTennisCoaching.com since 2011. And yet I've only had two short threads here about my blog in seven years. Think about it - I could be posting about it regularly, or at least semi-regularly, and instead waited SEVEN YEARS before I did a second thread about this daily table tennis blog, for reasons give above. And I get accused for only coming here to plug my own blog? 
  3. At TableTennisCoaching.com, I've linked to discussions here eleven times. 
  4. Other than token payments by ads, I do the blog and weekly tips for absolutely nothing - it's a public service. On an hourly rate I make about $1/hour from the ads. No one else does such a daily blog, and hopefully, after winning a few awards for my service, I know something about this sport and a little about writing. 
-Larry Hodges


Here are some other facts -- key lines in posts you have made here just within the last six months.  I haven't gone back further but there would be many more like this:
I would just like to see you post some more stuff here that is not necessarily on your own blog or websites.  I am just making a suggestion. 



Back to Top
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 11/17/2014
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 945
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 12:34pm
I for one, have no problems with (semi-)-professional blog writers, manufacturers and others periodically communicating with TT players on this blog, even if it is to promote their own blogs/products. Just think how cool it would be if we had access to the minds of TT professionals... 
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
Back to Top
Ieyasu View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 07/18/2015
Location: DPR Kalifornia
Status: Offline
Points: 48
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 12:36pm
"I would just like to see you post some more stuff here that is not necessarily on your own blog or websites.  I am just making a suggestion. "

Why should Larry have to post the same info in two places? Eg., where you quote Larry, 
  •  I just blogged about this, and the importance of the down-the-line forehand block.
I see nothing wrong with dropping a link to answer somebody's question. As I'm sure you know, Larry is an incredibly busy guy. Better he drop links to his blog that might help somebody, than not post at all because he's too busy to post a customized answer.

Here's a thread, http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82736&KW=ieyasu&PID=1027617&title=mlfzd-warming-up-training#1027617  where, if Larry has the time to answer my questions, he will post it on his blog. Again, I see no need to post an answer in two places. I also see where one could consider this blog promotion, but I don't see it as aggressive promotion. And I would certainly prefer Larry respond in this matter than not respond at all.

Of course if he responded this way to many threads, without providing an answer, I'd say it's too much, but he is not doing that, as far as I can tell.
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Larry, I have come to notice that the main reason you post here is to plug your own blog.
I know that in this day and age in America facts often don't matter, but here are some facts.
  1. I've started only two threads here about TableTennisCoaching.com. One was in 2011, when I first started the daily (Mon-Fri) blog, and I posted about it three times there. The second was this recent thread, where (excluding responses to direct questions) I've posted six times, and that was only to let people know I was back from a 3.5 week hiatus, and then about the site being down. That's nine postings in seven years, out of 587 total postings I've done here. I've had a few other times where I've responded to a posting here by linking to a blog or tip I wrote about what was being discussed here, but that was just adding to a current discussion here. I haven't gone over all 587 of my postings here, but I doubt if I've posted about my blog more than 15 times. 
  2. I've done over 1800 blogs at TableTennisCoaching.com since 2011. And yet I've only had two short threads here about my blog in seven years. Think about it - I could be posting about it regularly, or at least semi-regularly, and instead waited SEVEN YEARS before I did a second thread about this daily table tennis blog, for reasons give above. And I get accused for only coming here to plug my own blog? 
  3. At TableTennisCoaching.com, I've linked to discussions here eleven times. 
  4. Other than token payments by ads, I do the blog and weekly tips for absolutely nothing - it's a public service. On an hourly rate I make about $1/hour from the ads. No one else does such a daily blog, and hopefully, after winning a few awards for my service, I know something about this sport and a little about writing. 
-Larry Hodges


Here are some other facts -- key lines in posts you have made here just within the last six months.  I haven't gone back further but there would be many more like this:
I would just like to see you post some more stuff here that is not necessarily on your own blog or websites.  I am just making a suggestion.  
As I noted above, I've done 587 postings here (590 now), and about 15 of them mention my blog. That's about 2.5%. And yet you wrote, "I have come to notice that the main reason you post here is to plug your own blog." That was very unfair. It is because of potshots like this that I don't post here more frequently. 

As to quotes above, are you saying that when someone asks about the Butler-Carney match, I shouldn't link to where I wrote about it? That when people ask a question about blocking, I shouldn't link to a Tip I've written that answers their question? When new players ask about tournaments, I shouldn't link to the USATT page (not a tabletenniscoaching.com page) where I answered their question? I am a professional coach for many years, a national coach and hall of famer, and you don't want my input here on issues like these? Is there a rule against linking to informative articles that answer questions by posters here?

I am thankful for forums like this that allow me to get the word out when a daily blog read by many table tennis players goes down for the first time in seven years. Is that against forum rules? (I'm still working on resolving the problem.) 
-Larry Hodges


Edited by larrytt - 07/17/2018 at 12:49pm
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
Ieyasu View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 07/18/2015
Location: DPR Kalifornia
Status: Offline
Points: 48
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ieyasu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 12:46pm
BTW, I too cannot access Larry's blog either through the URL he posted, or the following two, I usually use:

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/blog/3

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/blog

Those URL's still return the "No blog entries have been created" message.

It is definitely NOT a browser cache or "proliferation thing" [DNS] issue.
Back to Top
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member


Joined: 03/15/2012
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 3388
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 12:55pm
Baal: I'm surprised by your stance here. larrytt provides some of the highest quality TT news and coaching one can get in the US. So, if he wants to post to point to those writings, I say happily accept it.

It is better TT content than zeio and jackwong23 incessantly harping about WCT or my rambling about the latest blades / rubbers. It is better TT content than your describing ALC blade differences for the 104th time.

You can't chide him for not wanting to post much else - that is his prerogative of what he does in his time.
Back to Top
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 07/15/2007
Location: Location
Status: Offline
Points: 14930
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Baal: I'm surprised by your stance here. larrytt provides some of the highest quality TT news and coaching one can get in the US. So, if he wants to post to point to those writings, I say happily accept it.

It is better TT content than zeio and jackwong23 incessantly harping about WCT or my rambling about the latest blades / rubbers. It is better TT content than your describing ALC blade differences for the 104th time.

You can't chide him for not wanting to post much else - that is his prerogative of what he does in his time.
zeio and jackwong23 are funny and they are 100% part of the mytt folklore and they don't plug-in any of their sites to beg traffic. Baal describing ALC blades does not do so either and the imaginary count of how many times he described ALC blades is irrelevant. All 3 of them post stuff that never mention or blatantly promote another tt related site. The comparison is unfair at best. 
As a side note, zeio, jackwong23 and baal do not pose as a superior table tennis authority and they do not tell people they are trolls as soon as a slight disagreement arises, also larrytt never took criticism lightly and is famous to have gone through a million flame wars and that since the beginning of the web. Try searching old newsgroups where he and Marco Borrillo are jousting, not pretty!
I guess you see larrytt as a table tennis american white knight and there is maybe a vested interest in you supporting him because you want to grow and get as close as possible to USATT's first circle of influence, fine! Well...I just see a 2000 player who has an ego the size of a semi truck, tries to fart higher than his a$$ and takes down with insults people smarter than him when he cannot match their intelligence because that's his only way to stay competitive: install chaos to cancel the opponent's advantage when they are ahead! Not my kind of guy.


Edited by fatt - 07/17/2018 at 4:37pm
Back to Top
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 03/21/2014
Location: Sonora CA
Status: Offline
Points: 1663
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 2:15pm
I like Larry's posts because they are usually informative.  I can pick and choose what I want to read.

There are many posters here who go on and on about balls, rubbers, blades, etc. that don't interest me at all, but I'm fine with them posting here. 

I'm glad you told me that zieo and Jackwong were funny, I didn't know that they were.

Marco had flame wars with everyone that posted here.






Edited by mts388 - 07/17/2018 at 2:20pm
Back to Top
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member
Avatar

Joined: 04/04/2005
Location: United States
Status: Online
Points: 672
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Baal: I'm surprised by your stance here. larrytt provides some of the highest quality TT news and coaching one can get in the US. So, if he wants to post to point to those writings, I say happily accept it.

It is better TT content than zeio and jackwong23 incessantly harping about WCT or my rambling about the latest blades / rubbers. It is better TT content than your describing ALC blade differences for the 104th time.

You can't chide him for not wanting to post much else - that is his prerogative of what he does in his time.
Well...I just see a 2000 player who has an ego the size of a semi truck, tries to fart higher than his a$$ and takes down with insults people smarter than him when he cannot match their intelligence because that's his only way to stay competitive: install chaos to cancel the opponent's advantage when they are ahead! Not my kind of guy.
And now you see why I don't post here too often. I guess I'll have to report this post and see if this is the norm here. Regarding Marco Borrillo, yes, I had many skirmishes with him, but he was a troll, and he was banned from this forum and others - I believe permanently. I was not because I did not sink to his level, as Mr. Fatt is doing here. 

I guess now, at age 58, I'm probably only about 2000 level (due to age plus shoulder and arm problems and no longer training), but for the record, I haven't lost a tournament match to a player rated under 2000 since the 1980s, and I used to be closer to 2300 and top 20 in the U.S. at my best. But since I'm primarily a coach and writer, perhaps you should judge me on that basis? Or just throw out insults, Mr. Fatt? Jeez. I love it when people throw out empty insults like this while hiding behind anonymity. 
-Larry Hodges
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Butterfly Sponsored
Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Back to Top
bard romance View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member


Joined: 02/18/2016
Location: us
Status: Offline
Points: 682
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Baal: I'm surprised by your stance here. larrytt provides some of the highest quality TT news and coaching one can get in the US. So, if he wants to post to point to those writings, I say happily accept it.

It is better TT content than zeio and jackwong23 incessantly harping about WCT or my rambling about the latest blades / rubbers. It is better TT content than your describing ALC blade differences for the 104th time.

You can't chide him for not wanting to post much else - that is his prerogative of what he does in his time.
zeio and jackwong23 are funny and they are 100% part of the mytt folklore and they don't plug-in any of their sites to beg traffic. Baal describing ALC blades does not do so either and the imaginary count of how many times he described ALC blades is irrelevant. All 3 of them post stuff that never mention or blatantly promote another tt related site. The comparison is unfair at best. 
As a side note, zeio, jackwong23 and baal do not pose as a superior table tennis authority and they do not tell people they are trolls as soon as a slight disagreement arises, also larrytt never took criticism lightly and is famous to have gone through a million flame wars and that since the beginning of the web. Try searching old newsgroups where he and Marco Borillo are jousting, not pretty!
I guess you see larrytt as a table tennis american white knight and there is maybe a vested interest in you supporting him because you want to grow and get as close as possible to USATT's first circle of influence, fine! Well...I just see a 2000 player who has an ego the size of a semi truck, tries to fart higher than his a$$ and takes down with insults people smarter than him when he cannot match their intelligence because that's his only way to stay competitive: install chaos to cancel the opponent's advantage when they are ahead! Not my kind of guy.

Very subjective to say that jackwong ranting about Wong Chun Ting like a lunatic for years on end is funny and/or remotely decent content. Are you the arbiter of MyTT folklore or something? How many times Baal has described the differences between ALC blades absolutely is relevant because slevin was talking about how someone can either retype their same points over and over again, or just link to another post where they have addressed the exact same subject matter and no harm would be done. When the inevitable next TB ALC vs Viscaria thread comes up, Baal could easily link to another one of his many (informative) posts he's done on the matter and that would serve just fine for the sake of information exchange. If you don't think thats a fair comparison to Larry linking to his blog then re-read his post on how he has next to no financial motivation to do so. 

Furthermore Larry is not "posing" as a superior table tennis authority. It's a pretty undeniable fact he has much more experience and insider knowledge than most people who post on this forum. You can take anyone's post at face value but let's not act like he doesn't have a lot more background than your average MyTT poster. 

What is your point about not taking criticism lightly and former flame wars? Clearly you have a bone to pick with the guy rather than any unbiased commentary on the issue at hand which is about linking to outside posts. Perhaps some people here would rather have a forum where credibility comes in the form of reputation, experience or knowledge instead of post count. And some people will lament the fact that virtually all high level players and coaches in the sport hardly touch this place even though many are aware of its existence. 



Edited by bard romance - 07/17/2018 at 2:20pm
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.219 seconds.
Mark all posts as read :: Delete cookies set by this forum

Cookies and JavaScript must be enabled on your web browser in order to use this forum


Copyright © 2003-2013 MyTableTennis.NET - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer