Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TableTennisCoaching.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
freakinjstu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freakinjstu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TableTennisCoaching.com
    Posted: 07/22/2018 at 6:33pm
As a new player and member here, I just want to say thanks Larry for the mountains of obviously good advice your material has provided to me.  Please don't let these flame wars get to you, you're doing a great service.
Sometimes I use big words I don't fully understand to make myself seem more photosynthesis
Sponsored Links

larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Hi Larry, I met a larry goldfarb in New Zealand, good bloke he does pushups before he plays, he said you and him were mates
I know him from tournaments over the years. He was the first 2000+ player I ever played in a tournament, in 1976, I think in my second tournament ever. I was rated 1148 and he was very nice as he clobbered me. I still remember my first words to him when we met before the match: "So you're a 2000 player?" I was in awe. 
-Larry Hodges, now on vacation after a 500-mile drive to Manchester, NH, with a 3-hour break near the start for a Gettysburg tour. The next nine days I'm in my annual science fiction writing workshop "vacation."
Professional Table Tennis Coach & Writer
Member, USATT Hall of Fame
USATT National & ITTF Certified Coach
Former Chair, USATT Coaching Committee
www.TableTennisCoaching.com
www.MDTTC.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

There are all sorts of links on this site to many other sites. The more content and different sources of information the better imho. Regards sci-fi, I use Arthur C Clarke on my forehand and Isaac Asimov on my backhand...
  So who wins in a match between The Mule and HAL?
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 5:44pm
Hi Larry, I met a larry goldfarb in New Zealand, good bloke he does pushups before he plays, he said you and him were mates
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

I like Larry's blog but I also think Baal made a point. Unfortunately these things have lots of gray area. I suspect that Larry doesnt flout the spirit of the rules against repeatedly directing peop pl e to other websites but the percentage of his posts that direct you to his blog is high. Unfortunately Larry is one of the most attacked and the most defensive public TT personalities. So if becomes less about understanding what is driving the perspectives and becomes about truth, Trump etc.

The letter of the rule unfortunately triggered moderation that does not apply to the spirit of what Larry does. That is all.

This specific letter of the rule (directing people to other sites) is violated left and right. I'm looking at your signature (YT link of Greg Letts video), 'fatt' has a link to Ross Leidy site, BH_Man has Nexy links, everyone links to YT videos. Should we chide zeio for sending us to YouTube to watch his subtitled videos?

A modest suggestion to moderators - it would be much more useful if rule violation issue was raised in PM. Would've avoided this entire kerfuffle. 

I am not citing the rule or trying to make a legal argument, but directing people to youtube is not the letter of the rule.  It's quite possible that someone reported Larry.  But even if not, the point is to try to promote interaction on the website.  There are some bloggers who do what Larry is doing but whose contributions are not viewed as positively. It's how to separate those categories of contributors that is in part the issue.  The rule is in part that we want members who contribute actively in the forum to be primarily the people that post here.  When people continually just post links to direct you to their blog, its takes some judgment to see whether they are contributing to the forum or not.  And when someone is just doing so repeatedly, it calls into question their motivations for repeatedly doing this - are they trying to help forum members and build the community or are they just trying to get more eyeballs on their website?

My point is not that Larry shouid not be doing what he is doing or that I am not completely wrong -  my point is that people have been banned for doing something similar to what Larry does and it's something that can be debated or discussed.  And if Larry stops answering questions and posting links to his blog, it is honestly not the end of the world.  It is a loss of valuable insight (and I say that as someone who read his blog religiously as I improved), but other people who post here more regularly can also provide such links as I have.  This is not a special insult or commentary on Larry.  Larry just writes as if it is (I do think some of fatt's statements are positively ignorant, fatt and I don't always see eye to eye on such things).

pgpg - Youtube videos, most of them can be played in an embedded mode without having to leave this site. 

Nextlevel - You are right about this, especially if in the recent past(last 6 months is good enough time to aggregate on) the only posts Larry has done are links to his site, it does raise a red-flag of only using this site to promote his material, and in that case it is the same as ERT.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 3:54pm
Just to set the record straight, nobody reported Larry.  I made the post myself based on an impression I had come to over a year or two about his posting.  It was mainly intended as a suggestion and it was not intended  to start a flame war but it did.  Apparently.  It was not even a matter of Larry breaking "rules".  As JimT notes, the vast gray area there is like the galaxy.  Like I said, it was simply a suggestion, or more something that for whatever reason was annoying me.  His responses have made me consider that my annoyance was probably misplaced.

As for how to handle it?  Probably should have just sent a PM as pgpg suggested.

Anyway, really there is no longer any point in talking about this.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 8:08am

I like Larry's blog but I also think Baal made a point. Unfortunately these things have lots of gray area. I suspect that Larry doesnt flout the spirit of the rules against repeatedly directing peop pl e to other websites but the percentage of his posts that direct you to his blog is high. Unfortunately Larry is one of the most attacked and the most defensive public TT personalities. So if becomes less about understanding what is driving the perspectives and becomes about truth, Trump etc.

The letter of the rule unfortunately triggered moderation that does not apply to the spirit of what Larry does. That is all.

This specific letter of the rule (directing people to other sites) is violated left and right. I'm looking at your signature (YT link of Greg Letts video), 'fatt' has a link to Ross Leidy site, BH_Man has Nexy links, everyone links to YT videos. Should we chide zeio for sending us to YouTube to watch his subtitled videos?

A modest suggestion to moderators - it would be much more useful if rule violation issue was raised in PM. Would've avoided this entire kerfuffle. 

I am not citing the rule or trying to make a legal argument, but directing people to youtube is not the letter of the rule.  It's quite possible that someone reported Larry.  But even if not, the point is to try to promote interaction on the website.  There are some bloggers who do what Larry is doing but whose contributions are not viewed as positively. It's how to separate those categories of contributors that is in part the issue.  The rule is in part that we want members who contribute actively in the forum to be primarily the people that post here.  When people continually just post links to direct you to their blog, its takes some judgment to see whether they are contributing to the forum or not.  And when someone is just doing so repeatedly, it calls into question their motivations for repeatedly doing this - are they trying to help forum members and build the community or are they just trying to get more eyeballs on their website?

My point is not that Larry shouid not be doing what he is doing or that I am not completely wrong -  my point is that people have been banned for doing something similar to what Larry does and it's something that can be debated or discussed.  And if Larry stops answering questions and posting links to his blog, it is honestly not the end of the world.  It is a loss of valuable insight (and I say that as someone who read his blog religiously as I improved), but other people who post here more regularly can also provide such links as I have.  This is not a special insult or commentary on Larry.  Larry just writes as if it is (I do think some of fatt's statements are positively ignorant, fatt and I don't always see eye to eye on such things).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 7:59am
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

I suspect that Larry doesnt flout the spirit of the rules against repeatedly directing peop pl e to other websites but the percentage of his posts that direct you to his blog is high.
Okay, what's the guideline here? If someone asks a coaching or other table tennis question, and I've written a tip that answers the question, are you saying I shouldn't post the link because it directs them to my (nearly all volunteer) site, and if I do so, thereby answering their question, it's a negative? This is a serious question. 
-Larry Hodges

Well, there probably needs to be a certification by the moderators of people like you.  This is what happens on TTD.  The problem is that without this, then everyone can do what you do, and then the spammers or people who just want to take up space and do this are harder to police based on the current rules.  We can't solve this issue without using judgment, but my point is that it is not a personally motivated thing, but the way you write gives little empathy to the issue that the moderation team is trying to address.
Cybershape Carbon
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/19/2018 at 6:33am
Originally posted by acpoulos acpoulos wrote:

[...] I use Arthur C Clarke on my forehand and Isaac Asimov on my backhand...

Between the two of them you should have at least 1 half-decent female character then Wink
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 8:10pm
>On the other hand, this again raises questions whether this forum should allow outright redirection of visitors to a completely different, competing website.

I really don't see TableTennisCoaching.com and MyTableTennis.net as "competing" websites. TTC is mostly a site where I blog and do Tips of the Week, plus other coaching pages, and the content is all free. While I set up a forum when it started in 2011, it's completely inactive. Readers can also comment on the blog, but they are rather sparse - check for yourself. Not only is TTC not trying to compete with other websites, I link to numerous other websites in every blog, including to discussions here at MyTT that I find interesting, especially if they are coaching-related. 

MyTT is primarily a forum where people discuss table tennis. It's a completely different purpose. Both sites are almost completely non-commercial. I don't think of TTC as competing with any other site, or vice versa. I don't think anyone is going to quit MyTT because of TTC, or vice versa - I would think they both bolster each other. 

Seriously, can anyone give a scenario where someone would quit MyTT because of TTC? If not, then they aren't in competition with each other. In fact, I'll make a point of linking to more discussions here when I start blogging again on July 31. (As noted earlier, I'm out of town July 19-29, at my annual science fiction writing workshop "vacation" in NH.) 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 7:48pm
Kind of strange to see here complaints about Larry posting links to his website - after all this whole thread is entitled "TableTennisCoaching.com"

On the other hand, this again raises questions whether this forum should allow outright redirection of visitors to a completely different, competing website.

Hopefully, I will not be the one to answer that.

Perhaps it's time to stop discussing personal likes and dislikes. While that is still legal here at MyTT, I humbly request that the next post in this thread better be about table tennis coaching, and not about Larry personally.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 4:58pm
We all love TT, so we all love people who contribute to TT like Larry, but contribute to TT and contribute to the forum are 2 different things.  Baal, as a mod, is right to put in the words of caution, so all is good IMO.
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 1:14pm
Also got to watch the hardbat challenge between Jim and AJ.  AJ is my coach, so I was rooting for him, but a very good match.  Larry has a summary on his page of this match.  I was the banker, $10k is the most I have ever had in my pocket!
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 12:34pm
larrytt, I hope you can participate more here. It would be great to know your opinions on many coaching things that exceed a blog.
And I don't want fatt to leave the forum, so if you are reading this, fatt, please reconsider your decision.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Since I am the one who inadvertently started this flame war I better step in and try to put it out as best as I can.

Nobody is getting banned. 

Again, I am sorry I brought any of this up.  I am not quite sure what more to say to calm people down.  The internet is certainly not the best place for people with thin skins, that is for sure. 

To the larger point I raised about people using this forum as a primary vehicle to promote their own internet activities, the extent that happens lies on a spectrum.  It ranges from people who only post here or maybe here and also at, say, TTD (perhaps on occasion starting similar threads at both sites); to people who would never post here for any reason except to try to direct traffic to their own sites to make money.  In the for sale section I don't let people post links to their ebay threads because it violates one of the oldest rules (you have to post a price, it is not an auction site).  Nexy is an interesting case because he clearly uses MyTT to drive attention to his company and the stuff he sells.  (Full disclosure, I play with one of his rubbers, Karis M).  On the rare occasions he comes here, though, it is always about how he goes about designing a new product, what he was trying to achieve through a particular design, often in comparison to both his own and other products.  It is not an advertisement per se.  Somebody brought up ERT. I have written some fairly brutal stuff about the content of his videos. After I saw his first couple I just ignore them. With Larry we know who he is and what is behind his advice.

It is not always clear where to draw a line (it is easier in the for sale section than anywhere else). Larry responded to what I wrote to the effect that he has not crossed any line and the response convinces me.  I spent a bit of time trying to imagine a formulation of some sort of  "universal guideline" that would always work.  And after a few minutes I just gave up.

But hey, at least we all know we are alive, right?  
All is fine, Baal, we'll let it go. But not only are we alive (as you wrote above), but . . . 
TableTennisCoaching.com just went back live! I hope nobody will mind that I put the link here this time - it's been down since Friday morning. I do not plan on posting about the site except in rare cases like this. Since the site was down, I didn't blog this morning, or on Friday or Monday, but the Tuesday blog is there (when I temporarily thought the site was up), which includes the Butler-Carney match. I had a lot of other stuff I planned to blog about, but alas, I've sort of run out of time since I'm now preparing for my July 19-29 science fiction writing workshop "vacation."
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 4:38am
Since I am the one who inadvertently started this flame war I better step in and try to put it out as best as I can.

Nobody is getting banned. 

Again, I am sorry I brought any of this up.  I am not quite sure what more to say to calm people down.  The internet is certainly not the best place for people with thin skins, that is for sure. 

To the larger point I raised about people using this forum as a primary vehicle to promote their own internet activities, the extent that happens lies on a spectrum.  It ranges from people who only post here or maybe here and also at, say, TTD (perhaps on occasion starting similar threads at both sites); to people who would never post here for any reason except to try to direct traffic to their own sites to make money.  In the for sale section I don't let people post links to their ebay threads because it violates one of the oldest rules (you have to post a price, it is not an auction site).  Nexy is an interesting case because he clearly uses MyTT to drive attention to his company and the stuff he sells.  (Full disclosure, I play with one of his rubbers, Karis M).  On the rare occasions he comes here, though, it is always about how he goes about designing a new product, what he was trying to achieve through a particular design, often in comparison to both his own and other products.  It is not an advertisement per se.  Somebody brought up ERT. I have written some fairly brutal stuff about the content of his videos. After I saw his first couple I just ignore them. With Larry we know who he is and what is behind his advice.

It is not always clear where to draw a line (it is easier in the for sale section than anywhere else). Larry responded to what I wrote to the effect that he has not crossed any line and the response convinces me.  I spent a bit of time trying to imagine a formulation of some sort of  "universal guideline" that would always work.  And after a few minutes I just gave up.

But hey, at least we all know we are alive, right?  

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 3:02am
I would be more inclined to encourage Larry to talk even more on the forums.

Not too many of us are in a position like Larry to be in TT full time and enjoy the opportunity to have insight into happenings on the national level. Those kinda things ought to be discussed even more than they are now.

Not many of us coherently convey our very strong beliefs on varying TT topics enough. 

Larry has seen a lot of shyt in his past and current time and there is a lot of learning, entertainment, and thought to had from it. We need more people in the sport  doing this stuff.

Think what life was like 30 years ago with no internet. In order to have good awareness and common contacts, one had to be independently wealthy, fly around a lot, and run a an intelligence ring rivaling the KGB just to have a FRACTION of the friends, shared knowledge, and collaboration we can do with modern TT forums.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 2:16am
Hopefully, most of us have calmed down and the flamethrowers are off. Even if some of us are recognizable in the meatspace, it is best to take a chill pill whenever someone here raises their hind legs (after all, these are 'the internets'). Some of the rancor could be plainly irrational or over-the-top but most of the members can recognize that by themselves.

FWIW: none of us are wedded to this place. We all come to this forum for some TT content and value. It is just my opinion: we should give a bit of slack to the knowledgeable or to those in a position to affect changes in USA TT. We want to attract both kinds here. Helps keep the rest of us around.

IMHO, larrytt (wherever he writes - whether in books or in blogs) does provide value (quite a bit of it completely free). And like Gordy, he's accessible / approachable.

So does Baal (who has always been quite helpful to me via PM). He most likely volunteers a lot of his time here for no comp and defends us in the FS forum. He's no hot-headed 15 yr old coming off a Fortnite-laden all-nighter (& I admire his composure here). And like zeio, he has a research-oriented approach & it shows.

Lastly, while I don't know larrytt at all, I have met fatt & played with him. Subsequently, I have talked to him many times via PM. His heart's in the right place (I'm sure). I'm glad that this is a safe space where we can express our disagreements and hope that it is done in a civil manner.

Edited by slevin - 07/18/2018 at 2:26am
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 1:20am
If anyone thinks playing with a clipboard is impressive, how's this for "handicap" singles? At the 1977 Seemiller Camp, Dan Seemiller broke a leg or something just before the camp. Since he needed to be mobile for the camp, they put him in an entire leg cast, so he couldn't even bend his knee. During the camp he took on a big challenge match from U.S. junior champion Rutledge Barry, and won!!! It was mind-boggling watching him serve and rip a forehand, and fall off to the side since he couldn't keep his balance. 

Long ago USATT Hall of Famer Steve Isaacson used to take on challenges with a checkerboard, which is similar to my clipboard. But as he put it, he'd take on challenge where he could only hit with the red squares! (Okay, I think he was joking . . . I think.) 

Winning with a clipboard or checkerboard is nothing. In college I beat someone in my dorm with an ice cube. (He was a pretty pathetic player. I also beat him with an ID card.) 
-Larry Hodges

Edited by larrytt - 07/18/2018 at 1:34am
www.MDTTC.com
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 1:12am
Originally posted by alphapong alphapong wrote:

This is the most bizarre thread I've come across on MyTT recently... Beats 'hidden serves', 'why boosting is legal', and 'Sharara personally ruined my game with aspect ratio ban" stuff.

How many freaking coaches are on this forum? Many times fewer than self-proclaimed equipment experts, I bet. Is having N-1 better, where N is not that large to begin with? 

I get it, self-promotion rubs some folks here the wrong way. IMHO, there was not much of it to begin with (gee, signature with credentials and a link to TT website with crapton of useful info on technique, tactics, USATT business etc. - that's horrible...).  

What's next - telling Gordy to take a hike just because he only posts about USATT business?

P.S. Full disclosure - don't know Larry too well, ran into him once or twice at a tournament and beat one of his students at last Teams. Visit his website daily and think it has lots of good stuff. Would regret if he disappears from here.

+1

Pretty sad to see how people who are actually contributing to table tennis are disrespected on this forum. 

I will admit however that I am biased. I tend to have respect for someone who is in the USATT Hall of Fame, coaches national team players, publishes table tennis books, and sits on the USATT board. 

Regarding Larry's playing level, I think one of my more enjoyable Vegas moments was when a cocky forum member challenged Larry on his assertion that he could play over 2000 with a clip board. Since it was Vegas the best way to resolve the issue was with a $200 bet. Larry was the one who left with the $200.

Larry what year was that?  
I'm not sure what year it was - probably circa 2000. But twice I've had players rated about 1950 challenge me and my clipboard for $600, and I won both times easily. (I blogged about one of them - the guy thought he was hustling me.) During about a roughly 15-year period at the U.S. Open and Nationals I raised over $5000 for the USATT junior committee (and a few times the hardbat committee) with a simple standing bet - I'd put up $40 of my own money against $20 from any challenger rated under 2000. I sometimes did this for many hours a day, one after another, stopping only when I had to prepare for my own matches or to coach. During all those years I only lost two challenge matches, and both were to the same player, Bruce Liu, who barely eked by with a rating of 1999 one time. He won 21-19 in the third and then 11-9 in the fifth. (Most challenges were best of three to 11.) Both times Bruce donated the money to the junior committee. By the way, these days I'm about 2000 with a clipboard; back then, at my peak, about 2150, with wins over two 2400+ players in challenge matches. 
-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/18/2018 at 12:58am

This is the most bizarre thread I've come across on MyTT recently... Beats 'hidden serves', 'why boosting is legal', and 'Sharara personally ruined my game with aspect ratio ban" stuff.

How many freaking coaches are on this forum? Many times fewer than self-proclaimed equipment experts, I bet. Is having N-1 better, where N is not that large to begin with? 

I get it, self-promotion rubs some folks here the wrong way. IMHO, there was not much of it to begin with (gee, signature with credentials and a link to TT website with crapton of useful info on technique, tactics, USATT business etc. - that's horrible...).  

What's next - telling Gordy to take a hike just because he only posts about USATT business?

P.S. Full disclosure - don't know Larry too well, ran into him once or twice at a tournament and beat one of his students at last Teams. Visit his website daily and think it has lots of good stuff. Would regret if he disappears from here.

+1

Pretty sad to see how people who are actually contributing to table tennis are disrespected on this forum. 

I will admit however that I am biased. I tend to have respect for someone who is in the USATT Hall of Fame, coaches national team players, publishes table tennis books, and sits on the USATT board. 

Regarding Larry's playing level, I think one of my more enjoyable Vegas moments was when a cocky forum member challenged Larry on his assertion that he could play over 2000 with a clip board. Since it was Vegas the best way to resolve the issue was with a $200 bet. Larry was the one who left with the $200.

Larry what year was that?  

Edited by alphapong - 07/18/2018 at 12:59am
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:57pm
This previous post from fatt becomes very interesting again:

"I think people who criticize ERT are jealous because he was successful in the TT community and created a buzz. Judging him because he uses videos he found on the internet is inappropriate because, as people said above, he did not use any video that was made without using other videos found and used in the same way that and I like BeaverMD analogy Clap

In the end, ERT is a good friend who, from his basement, makes TT videos where he talks with passion about the game and wants to cover himself with an aura of expertise, so what? that's all what we do here, he just adds ping pong videos he found on youtube, big $%^&* deal"

Interesting that such a glowing review comes in for a user (ERT) who literally ONLY has ever used this forum to plug his videos of questionable integrity. 

So for ERT who was successful in the (online) TT community under an unverifiable guise of expertise to come and plug his stolen-content videos is commendable. But screw Larry, who was successful in the real TT world with numerous verifiable credentials, to come here and plug his self made content that is relevant to topics of discussion.

Right guys?
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:44pm
I literally laughed out loud at the "we are a tool for his tt career" line. 

Just shedding some light into this situation:

as mts calmly pointed out after being the subject of a super aggressive posting, nobody really agrees with a certain vocal member here.

To those who have read this forum long enough, said user is well known for occasional emotional and dramatic outbursts. Flowery and romanticized, or excessively over-dramatic verbiage is a common feature of these posts, which often finish with grand conclusions pulled from rather mundane things that most people would not have reached themselves. So this post does not really shock me nor should it others, and perhaps that can help everyone put things in perspective. It's just part of the MyTT folklore.

Edited by bard romance - 07/17/2018 at 11:44pm
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:17pm
What just happened here? 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:07pm

Edited by pgpg - 07/17/2018 at 11:08pm
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
PythonMonty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PythonMonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by larrytt larrytt wrote:

I suspect that Larry doesnt flout the spirit of the rules against repeatedly directing peop pl e to other websites but the percentage of his posts that direct you to his blog is high.
Okay, what's the guideline here? If someone asks a coaching or other table tennis question, and I've written a tip that answers the question, are you saying I shouldn't post the link because it directs them to my (nearly all volunteer) site, and if I do so, thereby answering their question, it's a negative? This is a serious question. 
-Larry Hodges

A reasonable question. The right policy has to be something that allows Larry to respond to someone's question without having to re-write something he's already written. Any policy that discourages him from doing that would be unfortunate.
larrytt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larrytt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:55pm

-Larry Hodges
www.MDTTC.com
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:42pm

Edited by NextLevel - 07/17/2018 at 10:44pm
Cybershape Carbon
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:28pm
fatt, have you noticed that not one poster agrees with you.  Could it be that you have misread his intent.

Probably time to close this thread.
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2018 at 10:21pm

USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic