Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

I reached USATT 2000 in under 2 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I reached USATT 2000 in under 2 years
    Posted: 08/01/2018 at 10:41pm

Recently I reached USATT rating 2000 Big smile and it was within 2 years of my first table tennis lesson. My passion for this sport is overwhelming and I have already made memories that will last a lifetime. I would love if you guys took the time to watch this compilation showing my development over the last 2 years. I edited this video myself and added some cool effects so hopefully you guys find it entertaining! Thanks!
photino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote photino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2018 at 10:50pm
congrats! great achievement!
EJ-turned blade collector
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2018 at 10:57pm
Congratulations! Don't get discouraged if you dip under 2000 at some point. Ratings are just a snapshot, the important thing is to keep playing and learning.
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2018 at 11:14pm
Thank you!
Originally posted by photino photino wrote:

congrats! great achievement!
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2018 at 11:15pm
I appreciate that!
Originally posted by jfolsen jfolsen wrote:

Congratulations! Don't get discouraged if you dip under 2000 at some point. Ratings are just a snapshot, the important thing is to keep playing and learning.
SmileTT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SmileTT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 12:16am
Cool video it was nice to see each type of skill gradually improve from beginning to now! Congrats!
Omega IV Pro | M. Maze Off | Omega IV Euro
Feedbacks
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 12:22am
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed!
Originally posted by SmileTT SmileTT wrote:

Cool video it was nice to see each type of skill gradually improve from beginning to now! Congrats!
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 12:35am
This is great! I'd have to say, the one lesson I take away from this is that consistency rules: you hit clean, consistent strokes on a regular basis, and it just wins you games. I have a penchant for going for too much, so I try take this to heart (with little success!). How much training did you receive during this time? Just for curiosity's sake!

Edit: because some asshole has to do it; what equipment do you use?

Edited by Argothman - 08/02/2018 at 12:36am
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 12:43am
Haha thank you! I am known at my club for being consistent LOL! In this 2 year span I took one lesson a week for a year. After that one year I watched lots of YouTube (tutorials and match highlights) and really analyzed things in slowmo. I played just about every day though. I use Hurricane Long 5 blade, and I used to use Hurricane 3 boosted both sides up until about May this year. Then I started using Tenergy 05 on FH and Hurricane 8 on BH (honestly equipment is equipment and I'd be doing the same with Hurricane 3 on both sides).
Originally posted by Argothman Argothman wrote:

This is great! I'd have to say, the one lesson I take away from this is that consistency rules: you hit clean, consistent strokes on a regular basis, and it just wins you games. I have a penchant for going for too much, so I try take this to heart (with little success!). How much training did you receive during this time? Just for curiosity's sake!

Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 12:49am
Why did you switch? Do you feel like you get more from the tenergy than boosted hurricane? 

Also, in case you want more questions (which opening this thread seems to imply!), how do you feel playing a lot of tournaments helped your progression? I'm currently at a juncture where my technique is moving to a place where I want it to be, but I lack (besides consistency), experience competing, and I feel I need to develop a more 'winning' mindset rather than just practicing all the time. I play in our club league, but I'm considering moving out to more tournaments when possible. I also have trouble vs players who play non-traditional styles, and I tend to overperform vs slightly higher level players who play 'properly'. Any thoughts on my semi-incoherent rambling?

Edited by Argothman - 08/02/2018 at 12:59am
obesechopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 1:01am
Originally posted by toekneema toekneema wrote:

Haha thank you! I am known at my club for being consistent LOL! In this 2 year span I took one lesson a week for a year. After that one year I watched lots of YouTube (tutorials and match highlights) and really analyzed things in slowmo. I played just about every day though. I use Hurricane Long 5 blade, and I used to use Hurricane 3 boosted both sides up until about May this year. Then I started using Tenergy 05 on FH and Hurricane 8 on BH (honestly equipment is equipment and I'd be doing the same with Hurricane 3 on both sides).

Another guy I know did similar. He went from around 1400 to 2000-2,200 in a short time span, after having played TT for a long while. 

What did he change? Stop going for he-man shots all the time, played the percentages and basically just became a very steady player. It's surprising how many people just beat themselves... myself included! The fun of hitting those Ma Long-esque winners is too great! Who cares if you miss 8/10, those 2 are worth it LOL
Argothman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argothman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 1:03am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Another guy I know did similar. He went from around 1400 to 2000-2,200 in a short time span, after having played TT for a long while. 

What did he change? Stop going for he-man shots all the time, played the percentages and basically just became a very steady player. It's surprising how many people just beat themselves... myself included! The fun of hitting those Ma Long-esque winners is too great! Who cares if you miss 8/10, those 2 are worth it LOL

It's true! I'm considering slowing down my game and grinding to a higher rating, but sometimes I stop and think- those shots are really why I love to play table tennis! I guess I just have to train consistent kill loops! 
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 1:04am
I switched because I felt like I didn't have to swing as hard to get a fast loop with Tenergy. I also find it easier to serve with Tenergy. In my opinion, tournaments did help a little bit, but mainly it was playing in a league that helped my progression. That weekly league helped me see where my progress was each week and also get exposed to stranger playing styles. I didn't have to worry about losing rating points in the league so I could keep experimenting and improving my strokes. I wouldn't recommend a tournament every month but maybe every 3 months or so would be more normal. But since I played so much every day and I felt my progression was large enough each month, I felt like I was bringing more to the table each tournament. Yes, I also agree that it's easier to play against traditional styles. If you want to get better at playing stranger styles, I think the best thing to do is practice against them at your club.

Why did you switch? Do you feel like you get more from the tenergy than boosted hurricane? 

Also, in case you want more questions (which opening this thread seems to imply!), how do you feel playing a lot of tournaments helped your progression? I'm currently at a juncture where my technique is moving to a place where I want it to be, but I lack (besides consistency), experience competing, and I feel I need to develop a more 'winning' mindset rather than just practicing all the time. I play in our club league, but I'm considering moving out to more tournaments when possible. I also have trouble vs players who play non-traditional styles, and I tend to overperform vs higher level players who play 'properly'. Any thoughts on my semi-incoherent rambling?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 6:27am

I switched because I felt like I didn't have to swing as hard to get a fast loop with Tenergy. I also find it easier to serve with Tenergy. In my opinion, tournaments did help a little bit, but mainly it was playing in a league that helped my progression. That weekly league helped me see where my progress was each week and also get exposed to stranger playing styles. I didn't have to worry about losing rating points in the league so I could keep experimenting and improving my strokes. I wouldn't recommend a tournament every month but maybe every 3 months or so would be more normal.

what difference? league its like tournament
Choo-Lei
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 7:13am
What is the rating range of players in your club/league? 
20 tournaments in 2 years is impressive as well. I am less than 20 for my lifetime... :(
Gambler Hinoki Vector or AVX J power-Double inverted. Gambler mech tek FH black on FH, tibhar elp or T05 red on BH. I can't seem to commit....
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 8:37am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I switched because I felt like I didn't have to swing as hard to get a fast loop with Tenergy. I also find it easier to serve with Tenergy. In my opinion, tournaments did help a little bit, but mainly it was playing in a league that helped my progression. That weekly league helped me see where my progress was each week and also get exposed to stranger playing styles. I didn't have to worry about losing rating points in the league so I could keep experimenting and improving my strokes. I wouldn't recommend a tournament every month but maybe every 3 months or so would be more normal.

League is sort of like a tournament, but not exactly: you are playing the same people over and over, and stakes are considered higher at the sanctioned USATT tournament - your *real* rating is on the line, plus there is a trophy, bragging rights etc. In my experience players are trying harder at the tournament, while league is frequently a place to experiment with tactics, try out equipment etc. 
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 9:02am
I don't know how it is in America, but when you were 500-800 points, you didn't look absolutely terrible. Had some decent rallies going on, and your feet were moving reasonably well / coherently.

I know it was highlights, but I think you were definitely underrated at the start. Otherwise, congrats on your huge overall improvement, it feels amazing and super happy for ya. Keep going on!

Edited by Basquests - 08/02/2018 at 9:03am
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 9:48am
Yes it's pretty similar but your rating is not affected when playing in league. (at least not for the league I played in)
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 9:50am
My club is called Triangle Table Tennis (biggest table tennis club in America surprisingly). Our members range from about 500-2100. Not many players above 2100 though. And it hosts monthly tournaments

Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

What is the rating range of players in your club/league? 
20 tournaments in 2 years is impressive as well. I am less than 20 for my lifetime... :(
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 9:51am
Yes thank you! I agree that I didn't look terrible at the beginning but I will say that was more because of past athletic experience. I didn't have any table tennis muscle memory yet but I was just shuffling around and using pure athleticism to play haha!

Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

I don't know how it is in America, but when you were 500-800 points, you didn't look absolutely terrible. Had some decent rallies going on, and your feet were moving reasonably well / coherently.

I know it was highlights, but I think you were definitely underrated at the start. Otherwise, congrats on your huge overall improvement, it feels amazing and super happy for ya. Keep going on!

mentortt View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mentortt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:00am
Congrat! My son reach 1500 in 11 month. Not sure if he can reach 2000 like you in next year. I agree with you that weekly league play is most beneficial. Also one to one training with coach is very helpful.
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:32am
Out of curiosity, so you are absolutely beginner two years ago?
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:33am
From your Triangle Table Tennis brother, Vince, congrats on the achievement Tony!!!

That rally with Cantor was awesome and the look on Waynes face clip portion was too funny.

Edited by mycuzinvinny - 08/02/2018 at 10:40am
Donic Epox Offensive
Tenergy 05 FX Max (FH and BH)
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:47am
that's awesome. i think i only personally know of adam hugh who did that. 

what would u say are the main concepts a player needs to know in order to move from 1900 to 2000? what changed about your game?

Viscaria/T05/V>15
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
shinchan1506217 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shinchan1506217 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:52am
Congratulations Tony.  Words cannot express how impressed I am by your feat.  Voa monstro!!
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:56am
Wow thats very impressive! Keep him working hard!
Originally posted by mentortt mentortt wrote:

Congrat! My son reach 1500 in 11 month. Not sure if he can reach 2000 like you in next year. I agree with you that weekly league play is most beneficial. Also one to one training with coach is very helpful.
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:58am
Yes that is correct! Only played a few times a year before that, on a very recreational basement level
Originally posted by lgxb lgxb wrote:

Out of curiosity, so you are absolutely beginner two years ago?
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:59am
That's awesome to see you on here Vince! Thank you very much!

Originally posted by mycuzinvinny mycuzinvinny wrote:

From your Triangle Table Tennis brother, Vince, congrats on the achievement Tony!!!

That rally with Cantor was awesome and the look on Waynes face clip portion was too funny.
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 10:59am
:D I really appreciate that!

Originally posted by shinchan1506217 shinchan1506217 wrote:

Congratulations Tony.  Words cannot express how impressed I am by your feat.  Voa monstro!!
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 11:06am
It's tough to say since everybody has different strengths in their game that can help increase their rating. Personally I think that being quicker in the rallies and hitting the ball earlier off the bounce really helps me put pressure on the opponent and take control. I worked a lot on being able to topspin to topspin rally which is really important.

Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

that's awesome. i think i only personally know of adam hugh who did that. 

what would u say are the main concepts a player needs to know in order to move from 1900 to 2000? what changed about your game?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic