Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

I reached USATT 2000 in under 2 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
pingpungpeng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 1:24pm
maybe you can talk about your equipment.
what you used day one and the changes to becoming 2000.
patrickhrdlicka View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patrickhrdlicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 2:07pm
Congrats - love the video.
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69419&title=feedback-patrickhrdlicka

USATT rating: 2k+
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 2:11pm
Impressive accomplishment!! Congrats!! 
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon OX with removed glue sheet on backhand
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2018 at 8:40pm
[maybe you can talk about your equipment.
what you used day one and the changes to becoming 2000.]

OUCH!
Donn
notfound123 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2018 at 12:06am
I just noticed that at the end you played William from our club... and you won?? That's very impressive. I don't know his current rating but he plays 2200 on a good day. 

VKMO | T05 | Curl P4
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2018 at 12:53am
I could tell he was really good, but it must've been an off tournament. He lost to 2 other 1900s

Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

I just noticed that at the end you played William from our club... and you won?? That's very impressive. I don't know his current rating but he plays 2200 on a good day. 

lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2018 at 12:33pm
That is amazing! Congratulation!
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2018 at 3:40pm
 I loved watching your clips, I think you have done superbly well. As yet, although there have been many questions, laughably 'what equipment do you use' but no one has asked you the most important !!! 
 so I will, How many hours practice have you been putting in a week ? 
The Older I get, The better I was.
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2018 at 10:28pm
I'd say during the summer about 30 hrs a week, and during the schoolyear about 10 hrs a week. I'm addicted LOL

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I loved watching your clips, I think you have done superbly well. As yet, although there have been many questions, laughably 'what equipment do you use' but no one has asked you the most important !!! 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2018 at 4:08am
Originally posted by toekneema toekneema wrote:

I'd say during the summer about 30 hrs a week, and during the schoolyear about 10 hrs a week. I'm addicted LOL

Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

As I thought, that kind of rapid development is usually accompanied by obsessive amounts of time on the table.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2018 at 4:43am
Adicted or not that's the way to achieve. Congrats
4x Hallmark Carbon Extreme
FH: RakzaX, TG3 NEO,
BH: any fast and light rubber
MCollins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2018 at 9:28am
Dude, that's awesome!
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
danseemiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2018 at 3:50pm
Having a club like Triangle to play at is priceless.
DS
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 4:30pm
The biggest improvement I see from start to end of the video is in your preparation for the next ball.
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 9:05pm
Yes absolutely. The more you play the more you are able to predict the next ball. You start seeing common patterns as well.
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

The biggest improvement I see from start to end of the video is in your preparation for the next ball.
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 9:46pm
First of all  - congrats!

Second - it looks like a recipe for success is:

* Have a coach and take regular lessons
* Practice a lot
* Stick with the same equipment
* Play plenty of tournaments to beef up mental game and tournament toughness

It also puts into perspective how long it takes for someone who is obviously dedicated to the game, pretty athletic, in good shape, made substantial investment in lessons and did not have too many bad habits to begins with to get to this level. 

Makes me feel better about my progress, since my case misses a lot of important factors above.
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

First of all  - congrats!

Second - it looks like a recipe for success is:

* Have a coach and take regular lessons
* Practice a lot
* Stick with the same equipment
* Play plenty of tournaments to beef up mental game and tournament toughness

It also puts into perspective how long it takes for someone who is obviously dedicated to the game, pretty athletic, in good shape, made substantial investment in lessons and did not have too many bad habits to begins with to get to this level. 

Makes me feel better about my progress, since my case misses a lot of important factors above.

You forgot age. Must be young to success. If you 50 years old coach and tournaments wont help
Choo-Lei
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 10:12pm
IMHO you can get to 2000 even after 50, it will just take longer (certain level of athleticism and hand-eye coordination is a must, of course). 

I'd go out on a limb and will say that I'd probably would be there as well, if I took more lessons, had more focused practice habits, played more and EJ-ed less Wink . Not in 2 years, most likely,  but then I had a massive supply of bad habits to unlearn, and OP did not. 
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
jfolsen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jfolsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 10:57pm
You don't need to be young. You need to have time and dedication (you have to want it enough to sacrifice other things). 2000 is not some super high level. I did it when I was older than 55.
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 11:07pm
Do I have a chance at making it at over 65?

Beginning to think physical limitations are starting to negate technical improvements so I just stay around the 1850 area.

Also now that I am traveling I get better competition and more frequent play for a week or two, but then do not play for 1-2 weeks at all.

PS - Anyone know of National Park with a TT program.

Mark - Gypsy TT player still looking for that gorgeous dark haired gypsy mixed doubles partner.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2018 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Do I have a chance at making it at over 65?

Beginning to think physical limitations are starting to negate technical improvements so I just stay around the 1850 area.

Also now that I am traveling I get better competition and more frequent play for a week or two, but then do not play for 1-2 weeks at all.

PS - Anyone know of National Park with a TT program.

Mark - Gypsy TT player still looking for that gorgeous dark haired gypsy mixed doubles partner.
Physical handicaps become more significant as you get older, and that means the percentage of people who make 2000 (or even higher) goes down.  Bad knees and bad shoulders are perhaps the most common complaints, as well as loss of fitness.  However, the biggest problem as you get older is an increasing likelihood of vision problems.  Eyesight is the most important physical attribute and without that, it gets very hard to go up.
pingpungpeng View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2018 at 4:28am
If you are 65 and you want to see 2000 fast, long pimples could be a good option.

Edited by pingpungpeng - 08/06/2018 at 5:54am
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2018 at 7:19am
Originally posted by pgpg pgpg wrote:

IMHO you can get to 2000 even after 50, it will just take longer (certain level of athleticism and hand-eye coordination is a must, of course). 

I'd go out on a limb and will say that I'd probably would be there as well, if I took more lessons, had more focused practice habits, played more and EJ-ed less Wink . Not in 2 years, most likely,  but then I had a massive supply of bad habits to unlearn, and OP did not. 

OP took only 1 lesson/week for 1 year. In my opinion not lessons made him 2000. one lesson a week for 1 year its nothing. usually you need 3-4 lessons a week for few years to reach 2000. In this case OP could improve because of his nature good ball feeling and good moving around the table.
Choo-Lei
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

Bad knees and bad shoulders are perhaps the most common complaints, as well as loss of fitness.  However, the biggest problem as you get older is an increasing likelihood of vision problems.  Eyesight is the most important physical attribute and without that, it gets very hard to go up.

Good point. Early in my TT career I saw the legend Bernie Bukiet play at the end of his career. His game was rapidly declining and he said it was due to vision problems. 
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2018 at 5:22pm
Congratulations Toeknema!

How did you learn to return serve in such a short time?
There are so many tricks out there.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/07/2018 at 10:00pm
From my rental vacation summer home I am enjoying with my best friends and all our children, I want to congratulate you on your accomplishment. You know a thing or two about focus and I admire you for that, I always had a problem in that category :)
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/08/2018 at 10:32am
Well done!

First, congratulations on your achievement.  You beat some legit +2000 players in your breaking 2K tournament in DC.

I love, love, LOVE how even at 865 rating, you were skipping your feet two or three times in between shots.  Also, I have never seen someone rated 1645 play against a chopper like that.  It's usually a pushing rally at that stage LOL! Basquests was right about some underrating in your early stages.

I see most that transition from other sports tend to be arrogant when they transition to TT thinking their athleticism will carry them at high level.  I have seen soccer players, basketball players, baseball players, cyclists, even boxers try TT thinking they will automatically be 1900 immediately because of their athleticism.  Good for you for recognizing that you need to develop skills and to do that, you need lessons.  The cockiest ones I see are tennis (lawn) players because they think it's just a mini version of their sport.  I know two guys who are NCAA scholarship level and they topped out at around high 1800's.  Not bad I will say but not over 2K.  

I do think you are capable of more.  Do not relax and settle because you have broken 2K.  Uncle Beaver's next goal for you is 2250.  Here are three things that will get you there.  First, have tighter serves.  You should already know but as you start playing against higher level, their serve returns are much more aggressive so loose serves get punished more.  In turn, your service returns should be much more aggressive at this point.  Your push returns should be short so your opponent has to stick their knee under the table to return.  Your banana flips should be blocked long by anyone 1800 +/- 50 points.  Second, work on better shot connection.  Start with strong BH loop transition to hard FH loop should be smooth and explosive.  That's it for now.

I look forward to further development.  Good job.
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2018 at 10:30pm
My strength is pushing short. I love returning side-underspin serves short and low. I don't flick much but if it's long I usually do a slow and spinny control loop.
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

Congratulations Toeknema!

How did you learn to return serve in such a short time?
There are so many tricks out there.
toekneema View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toekneema Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2018 at 10:32pm
Thanks! I appreciate the encouragement!
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Well done!

First, congratulations on your achievement.  You beat some legit +2000 players in your breaking 2K tournament in DC.

I love, love, LOVE how even at 865 rating, you were skipping your feet two or three times in between shots.  Also, I have never seen someone rated 1645 play against a chopper like that.  It's usually a pushing rally at that stage LOL! Basquests was right about some underrating in your early stages.

I see most that transition from other sports tend to be arrogant when they transition to TT thinking their athleticism will carry them at high level.  I have seen soccer players, basketball players, baseball players, cyclists, even boxers try TT thinking they will automatically be 1900 immediately because of their athleticism.  Good for you for recognizing that you need to develop skills and to do that, you need lessons.  The cockiest ones I see are tennis (lawn) players because they think it's just a mini version of their sport.  I know two guys who are NCAA scholarship level and they topped out at around high 1800's.  Not bad I will say but not over 2K.  

I do think you are capable of more.  Do not relax and settle because you have broken 2K.  Uncle Beaver's next goal for you is 2250.  Here are three things that will get you there.  First, have tighter serves.  You should already know but as you start playing against higher level, their serve returns are much more aggressive so loose serves get punished more.  In turn, your service returns should be much more aggressive at this point.  Your push returns should be short so your opponent has to stick their knee under the table to return.  Your banana flips should be blocked long by anyone 1800 +/- 50 points.  Second, work on better shot connection.  Start with strong BH loop transition to hard FH loop should be smooth and explosive.  That's it for now.

I look forward to further development.  Good job.
mickd View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2018 at 11:55am
Very nice work, toekneema!! Your strokes look really nice and clean.

You remind me of myself in so many ways... except... you started with cleaner strokes, you've gotten to a higher level, and you did it all in half the time I've been playing table tennis. Quite inspirational and seeing you do it only pushes me to try harder myself.

Getting rated is one thing I really like about TT in the states. Having the ability to play tournaments and measure your performance as you improve and set milestones (such as hitting a certain rating) really helps visualize your progress. It gives you something to strive towards. I'm not saying it's a perfect system, but it's definitely nicer than no system (what I have here hehe).

If you ever get around to it, I would love to see some full matches (or at least full sets) of some of your earlier and later matches in the video.

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress, so keep up updated. At this rate you'll be 2100, 2200, 2300+ in no time :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic