Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need help coaching new LP player

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help coaching new LP player
    Posted: 08/14/2018 at 1:27am
I am trying to help out a player who has just recently switched to LP because of some mobility issues. He uses LP on the Bh and inverted on Fh. Most of his LP strokes have a pretty large change from about neutral blade angle to about 45deg open angle as he makes the stroke. It is like he is trying to flip (as in flip a pancake) the ball over the net rather than hit it over. This change in angle happens very quickly and it is hard to see if all change is after ball contact, during ball contact, or before contact. I have not been able to get him to quit doing this. The best he does is quickly rotate back to neutral at the end of the stroke and then say look I did it right when in fact he just added another rotation at the end.

1. I have not noticed this movement in good LP players, but wanted to make sure it really is something to eliminate.

2. Is there an underlying cause of this motion I could have him focus on? Just telling him not to do it is having little effect.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 08/14/2018 at 1:40am
Sponsored Links

smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 1:44am
just get him to return serves with a straight bat
other stuff later
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 1:44am
Hey Mark. I don't think I can help because I'm not a LP player but I thought I would clarify a few things that will maybe help others understand the situation (it could just be me that's not getting it, though).

When you say a 45 degree open angle, do you mean the racket is tilted back towards himself and facing up (the long pips is kinda facing the roof)? I assume that's what you mean since you said it looks like he's trying to flip the ball over.

Also, what type of ball is he hitting against? Is he returning a top spin ball to his backhand?
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 1:58am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

just get him to return serves with a straight bat
other stuff later

That is what I can not get him to do. On almost every stroke he changes the blade angle and I can not figure out a description or a focus item for him other than just to keep saying do not change the blade angle. But it is kind of like telling the sun "take a day off and don't rise tomorrow".

Mark
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 2:06am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Hey Mark. I don't think I can help because I'm not a LP player but I thought I would clarify a few things that will maybe help others understand the situation (it could just be me that's not getting it, though).

When you say a 45 degree open angle, do you mean the racket is tilted back towards himself and facing up (the long pips is kinda facing the roof)? I assume that's what you mean since you said it looks like he's trying to flip the ball over.

Also, what type of ball is he hitting against?
Is he returning a top spin ball to his backhand?

Yes blade top ends up tilted back and LP pointed toward ceiling. He does it against all kind of balls.

I think that maybe the LP was so dead compared to his inverted that he started lifting/flipping up to get the ball over the net instead of making harder contact. Now that is such a habit he just can not stop.

Now that I think about it, I don't think he does it with really fast loops. On those he looks like a typical LP blocker making a soft block.

Mark
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2018 at 2:46am
Some people just take longer to learn than others.  The problem with your student is that he can't let go of the idea of rubber gripping the ball (such as with smooth rubber).  You need a way to force him to practice where he never grips the ball.  What about having him practice hard bat?  Or, you could have him try hitting on the FH with LP, since he's normally used to smooth on that side.
alphapong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alphapong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2018 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Now that I think about it, I don't think he does it with really fast loops. On those he looks like a typical LP blocker making a soft block.

Mark

Then this can be your starting point. Feed him a lot of fast balls and have him just hold his bat in place with a vertical angle. Now slowly start decreasing the speed of your feed and have him gently bump the ball while maintaining the same paddle angle. Continue slowing down and having him bump more, as long as he is able to maintain form. If he reverts to incorrect technique then increase the speed of your feed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic