Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for a budget setup>>>Up to 60€

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jonyer1980 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for a budget setup>>>Up to 60€
    Posted: 08/21/2018 at 7:39am
I need yo buy a setup for a kid which has been playing TT for 2 years. So far they have been playing with our used ESN rubbers on a crappy premade but yesterday I could their daddy to make the step to their own blade.

Theyre just improving since they only 10-13 y.o although they have nice foundations of the game they need to keep improving and fix their mistakes. The the budget is quite Limited, since there's no point about buying anything quite expensive all of them.

The conditions are:

They are used to play with European or Japanese rubbers so don't give me any clue about Chinese tacky rubbers. No classics rubber since they quite slow and expensive.
Not anything quite soft or hard just medium rubbers with average speed. Same thing with the blade, no carbon or fibers based, better anything OFF- not very fast or stiff with good ball feeling in order to acquire a proper technique.

Rubbers:

Tinarc V
Tinarc
Moon Speed.
Palio AK-47.
Goldarc V.
Target Europe?
Friendship??

Blade (up to 20€ would be fine)

Friendship C2-C3
DHS PG2?
Palio Energy 01-03?
Something from sword/yinhe/Sanwei/Giant Dragon?

Edited by jonyer1980 - 08/21/2018 at 8:22am
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
Sponsored Links

GrayFox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrayFox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 9:01am

Rubbers: DHS GoldArc5 42.5max

Blade: YINHE E-3
Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 9:33am
I recommend yinhe mercury II soft, best inexpensive rubber. Is tacky but perfectly useable for euro playstyle. You can play and learn any kind of shot with it. Very spinny and high arc. Sponge has some speed glue effect. Soft is about 42-44 degree on ESN scale. I would suggest to use it on BH.

PG series is also good. PG2 is perfectly fine.
Some people are more comfortable with 7-plys so I suggest to get some PG7s as well.

achoomai View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achoomai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 9:55am
Try Yinhe earth 2 both side. It is cheap but can play well.
My feedback : http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=58844&PN=1#726094
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 11:25am
ma ling extra offensive(around 40 bucks) + 2x gambler mech tek (15 each include shipping or h3 commerical FH gambler BH. )

/thread. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 11:51am
Take into account theyre playing with worn out but ESN quality rubbers so better stay away from super cheap rubbers like Mercury 2 which their durability is poor. I insist: no H3 or tacky topsheet they are learning Euro/Jap technique so there's no point about any Hurricanes which are really demanding for them.

So far, Yinhe E-3/ PG2 +Goldarc/Tinarc V like the most as this is a really durable but quality blade/rubbers. I played in the past with Traction 2 which is the TAV clone and has a really durable topsheet and really balanced sponge.

I'm curious about Moon Speed or AK47 which are cheaper but I haven't tried them yet.

Edited by jonyer1980 - 08/21/2018 at 12:09pm
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 1:01pm
you could doooooooo......

729 v-6
2x palio ak47
and with the remaining 17 euros buy an ice cream
oooorrrr

729 v-6
2x 729 focus III snipe
and with the remaining 19 euros buy chocolate

Edited by pingpungpeng - 08/21/2018 at 1:03pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2018 at 1:50pm
No V-6 since it's a carbon blade as I stated on the initial post.... Better to invest these 17/19€ on anything better than an ice cream
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 3:53am
Rather than spend 20 Euros on the blade and 20 Euros on each rubber side, why don't you just continue with the used rubbers and upgrade to a better blade? The 60 you were planning on spending on the total setup could probably get you a really nice secondhand blade. I've owned a few sub 20 Euro blades and most of them weren't that great. Xiom Aria is a really nice blade. I think you cold pick up one of those on the second hand market for 40 bucks or less if you can find one. Don't get the Aria Lite, it sucks IMO. 

***edit

They have a brand new Aria on eBay for 54USD and free international shipping. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XIOM-ARIA-TABLE-TENNIS-BLADE/253815511778?hash=item3b18955ae2:g:nMsAAOSw~9Fbc6jK

Edited by ericd937 - 08/22/2018 at 4:05am
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 4:28am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Rather than spend 20 Euros on the blade and 20 Euros on each rubber side, why don't you just continue with the used rubbers and upgrade to a better blade? The 60 you were planning on spending on the total setup could probably get you a really nice secondhand blade. I've owned a few sub 20 Euro blades and most of them weren't that great. Xiom Aria is a really nice blade. I think you cold pick up one of those on the second hand market for 40 bucks or less if you can find one. Don't get the Aria Lite, it sucks IMO. 

***edit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XIOM-ARIA-TABLE-TENNIS-BLADE/253815511778?hash=item3b18955ae2:g:nMsAAOSw~9Fbc6jK

Easy: coz they´re kids so they don´t care about an expensive or cheap setup. A PG2 or W-3 are perfectly fine for most of 97% of this forum members.  Besides, if they keep their own brand new-racket they will have some care about their own stuff instead anything borrowed or given-out as used rubbers. On the other hand, some parents dont want to spend a cent on their kids gears, so after  2 years on learning using giveouts of some players, it´s perfectly legit to buy their first own stuff.

If my son wants to play soccer, i would buy a pair of new boots (not the first day, but also after some time).
If my son wants to play tennis/badminton, i would buy a racket and some trainers. 
If he/she wants to play any other sport and i know he/she really likes it, it´s a must for their DAD/MUM to buy a proper stuff instead of keeping used/borrowed stuff season after season.  
Don´t you think so?
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 8:24am
if you think mercury 2 soft is more demanding or less durable than Esn rubbers, I can only shake my head in disbelief
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 5:48pm
I haven't tried Mercury 2, just read some reviews that stated that durability isn't good.
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Hozuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hozuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2018 at 7:40pm
I can assure you, it can last many months, and over one year if you take care of it. My 1 year old sheet performs 80% like my new one. I have given one as present to a youngster in my club and he likes it as well. At 5$ it doesnt hurt to try it out anyway. But make sure to get soft version, the harder ones could be too demanding.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 12:21am
I'm using a cheapo setup, but it violates 2 of your restrictions:
Blade: Gambler Fire Dragon Touch - it does have carbon, but it's still flexy and on the softer side
FH: Yinhe Big Dipper - a little tacky, but not your typical chinese rubber.
BH: Palio AK47 blue

The entire setup costs less than 1 sheet of Tenergy.
trumpet_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trumpet_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 1:42am
Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive $33.15
Neottec Hinomi-M Rubbers 2x($16.05)

Total $65.25 from TableTennis11.com
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 8:17am
Apart from blades mentioned so far, Galaxy 896 and Galaxy N11s are very inexpesive blades.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
lgxb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgxb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2018 at 11:12am
palio way 003, beautiful and cheap. Or yinhe Pro 5w or 7w.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyer1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2018 at 3:55am
Thanks for all your advices. Finally i will go for a DHS PG-2 and Moon Speed (medium) on his FH and AK-47 blue as a BH rubber. 
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2018 at 11:08am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

***edit

Easy: coz they´re kids so they don´t care about an expensive or cheap setup. A PG2 or W-3 are perfectly fine for most of 97% of this forum members.  Besides, if they keep their own brand new-racket they will have some care about their own stuff instead anything borrowed or given-out as used rubbers. On the other hand, some parents dont want to spend a cent on their kids gears, so after  2 years on learning using giveouts of some players, it´s perfectly legit to buy their first own stuff.

If my son wants to play soccer, i would buy a pair of new boots (not the first day, but also after some time).
If my son wants to play tennis/badminton, i would buy a racket and some trainers. 
If he/she wants to play any other sport and i know he/she really likes it, it´s a must for their DAD/MUM to buy a proper stuff instead of keeping used/borrowed stuff season after season.  
Don´t you think so?

No, I disagree here. A secondhand blade can't be compared to second hand shoes. A second hand blade is just a good as a new one. Second hand shoes on the other hand, not so much. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic