FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Please help me to improve FH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help me to improve FH
    Posted: 09/08/2018 at 9:07pm
Hey folks. I am playing TT for 9 months. My BH is a way better than FH when it comes to attacking. I am looking for advices how to learn that super hard killer loop when racket starts moving from the lowest point behind you. I really know how to find information on the Internet, and how to use youtube. What I am looking for here is your experience and advice what is the best approach in learning that skill? Where to start and how to organise the training session + homework. Also how did you learn it?

A little about my skills:

I play 2-6 hrs a week after work socially. 2 times per month I go the proper club (NH Table Tennis Academy Sydney), to sweat to death and be beaten by better players (mostly asian folks) :). I am passionate about learning the proper techniques, but due to various reasons could not afford professional coach. So I am kind of self-learner social player. Shake-hand grip, right handed. Not a chopper but don't have good attack yet :/ Most of my "killer" shots are fast BH wrist flicks.

Probably it is impossible to describe my "level" here, but here what I have learned so far:

• When I started 9 months ago I already new basics of backspin, side spins, blocking and etc. (back from teenage age times). I also have good reaction (this is something from my martial arts experience) and understand the strategy of the game. 
  • One of my opponents is pure defender with crazy back and side spins. I managed to consistently receive his side spin serves by simply blocking with right angle. (Cannot attack and un-spin it yet, but at least I read serves).
  • From time to time I am able to make opponent to move wide to his/her FH side and open up the whole BH corner for me to finish the point.
  • I can serve long "double bounce" backspin serve, with the second bounce being at about 7 cm before the end of the table.
  • Developed 2 consistent "3-rd" ball setups which gives me a "guaranteed" winning point in 70-80% of times playing similar level opponents.
  • Recently seeing more and more success in returning back spin serves by un-spinning them with BH loop. So far this works only with tacky rubber on BH.
I used to use pre-made Donic Waldner 700, then Donic Waldner 1000, then custom made Sanwei FEXTRA. The reason I switched from pre-made rackets to custom is that I start feeling that pre-made rackets are "bricks" and do not let me practice more fancy shots. Now I mainly use FEXTRA with Hurricane 3 on BH and simple Reactor Corbor on FH. Some times (for fun) I want to practice long shots away from the table so I use fast racket - Loki V9 blade and 729 08ES on BH with Reactor Tornado on the FH (being on my level it feels fast setup). But it just once a week.

So what was your path to learn FH loop?
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 3:02am
Some tips:
-stick to one set up for all your practice
-find someone willing to coach you once a week. With a bit of luck you'll find a more experienced player that enjoys sharing some of their experience
-don't try to go for 'killer loops', rather, aim for controlled spinny loops on the table. Focus on spin, especially when playing vs backspin
-share a short video of you playing. This will make it possible to give advice.
-keep playing
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 3:30am
Thanks @Simon, Handshake

I guess what I call killer loops is what you'd call controlled spinny :) I don't have power in my shots yet.

Edited by fmarek - 09/09/2018 at 3:30am
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 4:21am
I agree with Simon and was going to post the same thing about taking it slow with spinny loops.

I just hesitated because even now I lack a kill loop, and there are quite a few people at my local club that advocate a power first approach. So I'm not 100% sure if it was the right decision anymore. That said, I still recommend to go for spin and consistency.

You'll need a practice partner to return or feed long weak underspin serves to your forehand so you can practice your form and timing. Always always focus on recovery after each ball, resetting back to the neutral position even if you're not planning to continue the rally.

I personally also liked doing a drill where my student would be in the ready position in the backhand side of the court, then feeding a long underspin ball to their wider forehand, forcing them to side step once before looping, then have them side step back to the ready position and repeat. Once they get used to that, you can feed them randomly in the forehand court, having them adjust their sidestep length depending on how far the ball is.
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 7:05am
These are useful tips, Mickd Thumbs Up. Now, after reading what you wrote about recovery I find it so obvious but and can't explain why I was never paying attention to it. It actually a good exercise.

vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 10:06am
What helped me a lot is playing practice games where only one player serves short with backspin throughout the entire game, the opponent pushes, and the server does a FH loop, opponents tries to block the loop and after that its free play.

This is a simple and yet very useful exercise. You get to develop a short backspin serve and loop the ensuing return. The opponent gets to practice consistent and aggressive pushing and blocking.

As your consistency improves, you can start trying to vary the arc/speed of your loop thus directly affecting placement and power of your initial FH loop. 

BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 10:17am
One thing I am still struggling to learn is that there is no kill loop that you can learn and then use it all the time. There are balls that can be killed, usually set up by a good serve or a controlled loop. So you kind of have to earn that killer loop.

If you watch really good amateur players in a match, you may be surprised how many times they just play for spin and placement with less than 50% of their max power. That was an eye-opener for me. If they don't try to play hard all the time, why would I think I can?

Edited by BRS - 09/09/2018 at 10:18am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 1:43pm
[QUOTE=BRS] One thing I am still struggling to learn is that there is no kill loop that you can learn and then use it all the time. There are balls that can be killed, usually set up by a good serve or a controlled loop. So you kind of have to earn that killer loo

If you watch really good amateur players in a match, you may be surprised how many times they just play for spin and placement with less than 50% of their max power. That was an eye-opener for me. If they don't try to play hard all the time, why would I think I can?[/QUOTE
] it's hard in general to have a kill loop. You might be able to blast every ball back in the warm up or even hit a lot of balls in exercises, but the truth is, that it is a completely different thing in matches. The balls don't bounce up like they do when you do drills. You rarely get a ball that you can just blast back. It's always about trying to adjust to the incoming ball and its spin and trying to create an advantage. You never get straight ball. The only chance to safely loop kill is to be completely conscious about the incoming ball after you forced your own spin on it. But of course I helps if you are able to play a shit ton of loops in practice.:)
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2018 at 10:24am
Yeah, I hope I can learn it soon. So far most of my FH "loops" go straight to opponents' chest or even more fun - to the forehead hehe, proudly avoiding his side of a table. That actually could be a killer loop if I hit it LOL.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2018 at 10:57am
post a video playing
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic