Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - List of Rules changes that's good for spectators.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

List of Rules changes that's good for spectators.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: List of Rules changes that's good for spectators.
    Posted: 09/09/2018 at 2:05pm
Want to brain storm a list of rule changes that's more spectator friendly but not necessary good for the sport. 

Lots of post out there claiming TT is too difficult for a sport for novice to understand. Even in a pro level match, if there's enough skill level gap between the two players, the match will look like a player keeps making unforced errors. It's no fun to watch. With that in mind, non pro level tournament is atrocious to watch. 

On top of my head i'll say

1. Raise net
2. Ban short/long/anti
3. Increase table size. 

Obviously, those points are bad for the sport. (although i think 3 may not be so bad)I think it will make watching TT more enjoyable. 
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 2:18pm
Raising the net will make spin play more important and kill the LP/SP/Anti anyway so 2) is largely included in 1). Those 2 changes would evolve the game toward uniformity and boredom, more athleticism in a wider pool of dumbness. 

Table size? The footwork to produce to perform at actual table size is already so hard.

I'd like a ball made out of carbon fiber!
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 3:22pm
The year is 20XX. The ITTF has increased the ball size to 44mm. Spin is useless, so everyone uses thick stiff carbon blades with short pips.
Alis volat propriis

Gergely
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 3:28pm
They have pickelball for people who want to play like that.
W6 fl with Illumina 1.8

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 3:29pm
As a relatively young 6'3 tt player I would love those 3 things to happen (add to 3 -> increase table height). It would favor athleticism over deception making it more enjoyable for the spectator, BUT... it would certainly force older population of players to retire earlier thus destroying the one thing about this sport that makes it so unique: the ability to play and enjoy this sport well past your 60s which is why I admire it so much. 

Don't want to beat the dead horse here but something has to be done about the service rule though. It needs to be cleared up and standardized on world level which imo would improve it for the spectators.

Main: Hadraw VK FL 82g | 2x T05 2.1
TBT: Diode V FL 92g | Rozena 1.9 | FL3 0.5
FS Feedback
qpskfec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

They have pickelball for people who want to play like that.

+1, when I was in junior high school they made us play paddle tennis in PE class. Pickle ball is slowed down paddle tennis. Lots of seniors like it.

Leave tt alone. I could care less about attracting more spectators.

Every year or two someone starts a thread on this topic. You will get the same suggestions/comments as the last 5 threads like this. It's just noise.
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 7:14pm
My list of what must be done in TT is resumed to one: STOP making f*cking changes in the sport.
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 7:29pm
No net at all would make the game even more simple and encourage every random gardener or maid to play. Sadly, former ITTF president Adam Shalala forgot about this great change.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 09/09/2018 at 7:30pm
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
pgpg View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2018 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

2. Ban short/long/anti

Sure, let's get rid of defensive styles altogether. 
USATT: ~1800
Dr. N Barricade - AK47 blue - Air UpUpUp (0.6mm)
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2018 at 1:53am

Want to brain storm a list of rule changes that's more spectator friendly but not necessary good for the sport.

anjan View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2018 at 3:04pm
if you want those changes please play lawn tennis. leave table tennis alone. i think table tennis was much more popular when it was much difficult than today. 38mm ball, speed glue, kreanga carbon+bryce fx. oh i love it.
anjan
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2018 at 3:57pm
Yeah I seriously doubt TT is more popular than before they made those changes. I mean this sport is intrinsically NOT spectator friendly. Small ball (even you make it 45mm), small table, small court. Everything is small compared to other racket sports, let alone something like soccer or basketball. Why force it with rule changes? TT will never be able to compete against a sport like tennis...

Originally posted by anjan anjan wrote:

if you want those changes please play lawn tennis. leave table tennis alone. i think table tennis was much more popular when it was much difficult than today. 38mm ball, speed glue, kreanga carbon+bryce fx. oh i love it.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2018 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by anjan anjan wrote:

Right, you wouldn't want to make chess or go easier. So why table tennis?
Alis volat propriis

Gergely
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 1:07am

Lots of post out there claiming TT is too difficult for a sport for novice to understand. Even in a pro level match, if there's enough skill level gap between the two players, the match will look like a player keeps making unforced errors. It's no fun to watch. With that in mind, non pro level tournament is atrocious to watch. 

On top of my head i'll say

1. Raise net
2. Ban short/long/anti
3. Increase table size. 

Obviously, those points are bad for the sport. (although i think 3 may not be so bad)I think it will make watching TT more enjoyable. 
The only one of these under serious consideration in recent years was #1.  I personally thought that the net height should have been adjusted when they switched to 40+ balls to correspond to the change in the ways balls bounce.
smackman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 6:20pm
Showing table tennis on TV would be the starting point
Ulmo Duality,tibhar Aurus Prime Dr N Pistal Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website,
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

^ that's a genius idea. Screw the rule changes, the video needs to change. 
FH: h3 2.2 39
t05: 2.1
viscaria: 93g
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 6:48pm

This and fix atrocious cutting/highlight videos/camera angles.
Alis volat propriis

Gergely
blahness View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

This and fix atrocious cutting/highlight videos/camera angles.

Yeah the top down angle is completely crap...just film from the side at net height!
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic