Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

good blade or good rubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pingpungpeng View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: good blade or good rubber
    Posted: 09/11/2018 at 7:46am
which one would you choose?

a 10 dollar 5 ply blade with tenergy 05 on both sides
or
a butterfly zhang jike super zlc with palio ak47 or any other 10 dollar rubber on both sides?
Sponsored Links

Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 8:18am
In my case for exaomple is 10dollar blade with Tenergy 05 or Jun Mizutani ZLC (because Zhang Jike super ZLC is super fast blade with very little control for my style of play and thats collector blade for me) with Palio AK47. In that case I choose Jun Mizutani ZLC with Palio because of dwell time, strenght of shots and precision. Also Tenergy 05 is best rubber I ever try but for that rubber you must train every day and be pro because only pros can get 100% of Tenergy 05 strenghts. Its very difficult rubber for service returns and blocking and reaction on opponent spin shots.
Blade: Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: Victas V > 15 Extra
BH: Victas V > 15 Extra
andras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 8:23am
10 dollar blade 10 dollar rubber
500 dollar for 1 year good trainigClap
Shifu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 8:32am
You will always keep a good blade, the rubber has to be changed anyway. Get a good blade and get cheap Chinese rubbers.
Ck1407 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ck1407 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 9:10am
i would go for a gd blade( ie , a good quality blade that has the characteristics that i want), and its more costly to change blades compared to changing rubber so u can stick with expensive blade cheap rubber to adapt to the new high quality blade then when u stock up another sum of money u can just get ur t05 and get both high quality balde and rubber :)
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 9:22am
Cheap blade expensive rubber. If you use cheap rubbers you'll switch them more frequently thus damaging the blade more.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Tt Gold Tt Gold wrote:

Cheap blade expensive rubber. If you use cheap rubbers you'll switch them more frequently thus damaging the blade more.

Rubbers cant damage blade if they are glued properly.
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 9:44am
Good all round blade and tenergy with speed glue.
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 10:00am
Why not a 60 dollar blade and two 30 dollar rubbers? Half the price of a ZLC and you can still get good rubber and a good blade. You could probably even find a second hand Zetro Quad(same same zlc) for 60 bucks. 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/11/2018 at 4:41pm
I think the rubber is more important.
you can grab any premade blade, add two good rubbers and you have a great racket.
king_pong View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king_pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 3:18am
Like some have said, you don't have to choose -- there's no way you can't have both for a reasonable price.
Yasaka Goiabao 5, a great blade, is just $44 (goes on sale for around $36) at tabletennis11.com and you can pick up reasonably price good rubber there as well on sale or doing "4-for-3". Shipping on said combo would be free as well.
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpungpeng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 5:14am
it's more of a hypothetical question.
not really looking for equipment advice.
thanks anyway.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Pr1nc Pr1nc wrote:

if your blade has at least some damage on the edges then it does damage the blade.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 9:45am

if your blade has at least some damage on the edges then it does damage the blade.

I play TT for about 15 years and I used minimum 10 blades before Mizutani ZLC and I changed plenty of rubbers but I have never damaged my blade during removing rubber from blade.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 5:11pm

I play TT for about 15 years and I used minimum 10 blades before Mizutani ZLC and I changed plenty of rubbers but I have never damaged my blade during removing rubber from blade.
cause you used 11 blades. If the veneers get damaged and have small splinters, then removing the rubbers will also peel of some of the wood splinters.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 5:40pm
I know what you mean because friend of mine has problem with Stiga Carbo 7.6wrb with splinters, but I use joola Protective Blade Sealant and Varnish and Butterfly has great quality outer plies so I dont have problems and I hope I wont have in future.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 5:47am
I didn't seal my infinity years ago and the top ply completely ripped apart. Now I seal all my blades. Problem is that my viscaria has a lot of damage at the sides, so whenever I remove the rubber some of the wood also peels off. I always need to use wood glue to increase the lifespan of my viscaria.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 6:13am
You can use pollyester filler instead of wood glue to incrrase the lifespan of your viscaria. Workers that work with wood and furniture told me that secret.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 6:44am

You can use pollyester filler instead of wood glue to incrrase the lifespan of your viscaria. Workers that work with wood and furniture told me that secret.
wood glue also works, but thanks for the advice. Is there even a certain range for a blade's lifespan? I mean with rubbers their certainly is, but with blades? I guess I've played about 3000 hours with my blade
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 8:07am
I dont know that but I know player that play with Perkusan blade for 30 years.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 8:19am
Depends how often you play I guess.
Pr1nc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pr1nc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 8:36am
That player plays 4 times a week and he is very good, in USA ratings I think he is around 1800
lamtau View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lamtau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 11:24am
Both
H3market 41degree Viscaria_ST T05 1.9mm
danseemiller View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danseemiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 11:41am
Rubber is more important.
DS
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 11:48am
the rubber has a bigger impact but the blade is a better investment (a good blade will retain a good % of its cost)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic