Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Substitute for Big Dipper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Substitute for Big Dipper
    Posted: 09/12/2018 at 2:53pm
Since I am traveling so much I may find myself needing a replacement rubber but having difficulty getting it mailed to me. Was wondering what more mainstream rubbers I might find in TT club shop would be suitable as an emergency replacement.

Note: I hesitate to carry multiple spare rubbers because the truck and trailer temp often gets above 100DEGF when sitting in the sun for even a couple of hours.

Mark
Sponsored Links

ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 7:46am
Could you put the rubbers in your refrigerator?
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
NBSR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NBSR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 9:52am
From what I've read, Sanwei Target National is similar to Big Dipper, though I'm not sure if you can find that in a TT club shop. 

At the same time, if temperature in the truck is a big problem, perhaps you could try to wrap your paddle or rubbers in layers of clothing that could absorb the heat. 

Perhaps try to find a plastic case that's waterproof where you can place your paddle and submerge that case under water inside a cooler (with no ice) also. 

Just trying to think of creative ways to absorb the vehicle's heat...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 11:15am
Thanks for the ideas on keeping the stored rubbers cooler. That may be the best way to go. Refrigerator is possible for a couple of sheets. I have an ice chest in truck for longer camping without electricity that hardly ever gets used. I bet inside of that cooler never gets that hot. Wrapped in towel or case inside cooler would do good I bet.

Thanks again.

Mark
in2spin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote in2spin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 11:46am
When I went thru Arizona - I got one of those styrofoam coolers....big enough to fit like maybe...6 6-packs of soda?

Anyway, I used that along with some blue ice packs under neath with some padding - to keep my camera equipment cool in the parked car.  You will need to separate your goodies from the ice....lots condensation.  But, rubber/packaging in a ziploc would be pretty water tight.

:)
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 3:30pm
A couple of rubber sheets in any sort of a cooler with a cooling element or two will work just fine.

Are you planning to make it over to SoCal some time?

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 7:06pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

A couple of rubber sheets in any sort of a cooler with a cooling element or two will work just fine.

Are you planning to make it over to SoCal some time?

ILya

Will be in Sacramento area 1st 2 weeks in Oct and then Sonora for a few days. Then I have to make a beeline for Tx so I can get business done before going on to Orlando for the Open.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic