tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

Change of plan for GITTTC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Change of plan for GITTTC
    Posted: 09/13/2018 at 12:03am
The Goose Island Travelling Table Tennis Club is changing its plans. This is the result of a recent incident in Port Angeles, Wa. Since I could not find a TT club in Port Angeles I decided to visit Peninsula College and see if I could find someone to hit with. Unluckily, the school is on a quarter system and was not in session. The student union building was almost void of people, but did have 2 nice Stiga tables. So I just decided to practice serves in my street clothes (did put on TT shoes since hiking boots put me too high). After about 20 min one administrator ( or professor) stopped by and hit with me for 10 min but it was not really much practice. I went back to serve practice and about 15 min later the most unexpected thing happened.

No, Harimotto did not show up while visiting the Pacfic Northwest on vacation. But almost as remarkable, a young (19-20) coed named Alita, came up and asked if I wanted to hit some. She had a beautiful smile, long strawberry blonde hair, and the body of a track miler. Of course I only noticed these things at the end of our practice. What I really focused on was her sweet penhold chop block against loops (maybe I am too into TT). We hit for about 45 min. Although she could not return most full power shots when I looped at about 50% we had some nice rallies and she even moved me back and forth across the table. At the end I did a little coaching on her Fh drive which was much weaker than her Bh block. It turned out to be a very good TT day.

Because of this I will no longer take the GITTTC to dark warehouses and decrepit buildings in the bad parts of town just to play TT with a bunch of sweaty old men like myself. Instead I am heading out on a tour of college campuses, with a special focus on those with especially strong NCTTA women's teams.

If any of you know of such a TT team or a college with lots of TT players that might be interested in a temporary coach who specializes in the training of hiding serves, of intimidation through choing, of stalling and other mind games, and of the women's game (see "I Play Like a Girl" post as reference) please contact me.

Mark - Now trying to play a TT coach for real and not just on the internet.

Edited by mjamja - 09/13/2018 at 12:03am
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 8:00am
Stop by UC Berkeley on your way through CA. Perhaps Ying Wang, Angela Guan, Lily Zhang (not sure if they're all back this semester) could benefit from your coaching.
mjamja View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2018 at 11:56am
Do they allow pickup driving,redneck yahoos from Texas to even come on the Berkley campus?

Mark - Who knows never to ask a man if he is from Tx because you do not want to embarrass him if he has to say no.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic