Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

New interview with Thomas Weikert

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PingPongPom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongPom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New interview with Thomas Weikert
    Posted: 09/14/2018 at 4:36am
Interview with ITTF President Thomas Weikert which answers a burning question about relationship with former ITTF President, along with questions about the progress of the organization and its future plans!

http://mhtabletennis.com
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 1:05pm
[To an extent, we have already started that engagement and collaboration in North America, but have only begun to tap-in to the huge commercial potential on the continent that can be achieved through a more integrated structure. Our plan is to accomplish this by setting up a professional office and training centre on the continent and use that as a model for the future. ]

If I'm reading this correctly, it means a very important ITTF office and training center is going to open in North America.  Who's betting it's in the USA and in California?

Edited by DonnOlsen - 09/14/2018 at 1:06pm
Donn
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 1:45pm
Let's hope they create it in the SODO area of Seattle, close to downtown, where a bunch of warehouses are available, the climate allows less (environmentally friendly because created from dams and inexpensive) electricity to run ac/heat along the years and the rain making all indoor sports attractive.

I want to underline that Washington state parks system make the place a heaven for outdoors activities enthusiasts year long and that in summer, Seattle is one of the best places in the world to be.

Maybe this has no value but I'll mention it anyway: among big american metropolis, Seattle (and its surroundings) is the closest to Asia and, due to that proximity and the excellent computer science program at University of Washington among other attractive career paths, the Asian population represents almost 14% of the people around here.

Another point in favor of Seattle is that techies are more inclined than average to pick the sport up and those little pluses add up.

SEATTLE FTW!!!

lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

[<span style="color: rgb33, 33, 33; font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; font-size: 14.6667px;">To an extent, we have already started that engagement and collaboration in North America, but have only begun to tap-in to the huge commercial potential on the continent that can be achieved through a more integrated structure. Our plan is to accomplish this by setting up a professional office and training centre on the continent and use that as a model for the future. ]</span>
<span style="color: rgb33, 33, 33; font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; font-size: 14.6667px;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Helvetica, FreeSans, sans-serif; font-size: 14.6667px;">If I'm reading this correctly, it means a very important ITTF office and training center is going to open in North America.  Who's betting it's in the USA and in California?</span>

What would that do for TT in the United States beyond the niche ethic groups the currently dominate the sport?

Edited by lineup32 - 09/14/2018 at 2:49pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 8:35pm
Hi,

[Let's hope they create it in the SODO area of Seattle, close to downtown, where a bunch of warehouses are available, the climate allows less (environmentally friendly because created from dams and inexpensive) electricity to run ac/heat along the years and the rain making all indoor sports attractive.]

I like your style fatt; you are not shy.  You voted early.

Objectively, if the ITTF does want to create a continental table tennis center, then Seattle would be an excellent, if not possibly the best, choice, considering how close it is to the large Canadian population center of Vancouver.  A location of economic prosperity is important at this point in the station table tennis is now in.  Both Seattle and Vancouver are well positioned to support such a center.

Thanks

Edited by DonnOlsen - 09/14/2018 at 8:55pm
Donn
DonnOlsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 8:55pm
Hi,

[What would that do for TT in the United States beyond the niche ethic groups the currently dominate the sport?]

Well, it may not have incremental value.  There is a distinction between fatt and me here: Whereas he is making an advocacy, I am making a prediction.  The basis of my prediction is an anticipation of the likely process that will take place to ultimately select a location.  Typically, a strong local association is made, composed of financial, facility, and organizational strength superior to other competitive bids.  The USATT CEO has demonstrated exceptional abilities in projects that have similar attributes to those needed here, and I have unqualified confidence he will perform impressively.

I am very interested in the details of this process.  I'm sure some percentage of understanding will trickle out through time.  

I am also very confident an ITTF office and training center will be opened in North America.  When a very high ranking official goes public as the ITTF President did, then one may be assured much progress has already been made.

The sun is shining.
Donn
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/14/2018 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Let's hope they create it in the SODO area of Seattle, close to downtown, where a bunch of warehouses are available, the climate allows less (environmentally friendly because created from dams and inexpensive) electricity to run ac/heat along the years and the rain making all indoor sports attractive.

I want to underline that Washington state parks system make the place a heaven for outdoors activities enthusiasts year long and that in summer, Seattle is one of the best places in the world to be.

Maybe this has no value but I'll mention it anyway: among big american metropolis, Seattle (and its surroundings) is the closest to Asia and, due to that proximity and the excellent computer science program at University of Washington among other attractive career paths, the Asian population represents almost 14% of the people around here.

Another point in favor of Seattle is that techies are more inclined than average to pick the sport up and those little pluses add up.

SEATTLE FTW!!!

Sorry Fatt I have it on inside information its going to Puyallup...
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 9:48am

[To an extent, we have already started that engagement and collaboration in North America, but have only begun to tap-in to the huge commercial potential on the continent that can be achieved through a more integrated structure. Our plan is to accomplish this by setting up a professional office and training centre on the continent and use that as a model for the future. ]

If I'm reading this correctly, it means a very important ITTF office and training center is going to open in North America.  Who's betting it's in the USA and in California?

Sounds like Canada...

Edited by amateur - 09/15/2018 at 9:51am
clannewton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clannewton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Sounds like Canada...

With the former ittf president now vying to head up Canadian table tennis, do you think the tension between him and Mr. Weikert might decrease that chance?

Edited by clannewton - 09/15/2018 at 10:33am
Nittaku Violin FL-L
FH Donic Bluefire m-1 max
BH Donic Bluefire m-2 max
Cocoa Beach TTC, Florida
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/15/2018 at 10:44am
Originally posted by clannewton clannewton wrote:

Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Sounds like Canada...

With the former ittf president now vying to head up Canadian table tennis, do you think the tension between him and Mr. Weikert might decrease that chance?

Maybe Weikert can use that as leverage: ITTF will come to Canada provided Sharara is kept on the sidelines.

Edited by amateur - 09/15/2018 at 10:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic