Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why some rubbers disappear from ITTF approved list
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why some rubbers disappear from ITTF approved list

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why some rubbers disappear from ITTF approved list
    Posted: 09/20/2018 at 9:29am
There is a list of ITTF approved equipment:

Why does some rubbers are not listed even though they have ITTF stamp imprinted? How does it work?

729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1
Sponsored Links

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 10:59am
Rubbers are de-listed when the manufacturer ceases to pay the ITTF certification fee.  Usually means the rubber is no longer in production.  Inventory might still be available but won't be renewed.  The ITTF certification only matter if you play in sanctioned tournaments.
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by GMan4911 GMan4911 wrote:

Rubbers are de-listed when the manufacturer ceases to pay the ITTF certification fee.  Usually means the rubber is no longer in production.  Inventory might still be available but won't be renewed.  The ITTF certification only matter if you play in sanctioned tournaments.

Or the rubber doesnt generate enough profits. I dont know why some rubbers are not available in any shop but they re legal
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 8:52pm
This sounds bad to me. "Well, mate, you haven't paid this year, so your products A, B and C are not approved by us anymore ..." even though products never changed since they where approved. So strange.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 9:43pm
Yes it's an easy money-grab by the ITTF, and I can't really see the justification for annual fees.

I don't know when they brought this in, but I'm sure it used to be just a single fee to get the rubber approved (which is fair enough), and then it would stay approved for many years (5 or 10 years?), after which you needed to get it approved again.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 10:32pm
Let me think of some reasons
the rubber was a slow seller
the rubber had a problem ie top sheet separated
the rubber was upgraded to a better version
the rubber was upgraded to a more expensive version
the marketing department changed it's name
not as good with the new ball
the TT company came out with a new range of products
technology changes

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 11:17pm
$$$$$
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2018 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

technology changes

I am not sure whether these are valid reasons to de-list previously approved product. The item about sheets separation would make sense if ITTF approval is somehow related to quality assurance. 

Edited by fmarek - 09/20/2018 at 11:34pm
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 1:47am
SUPER BLOCK ALIVE.

You can now get SuperBlock epoxy treated pimples, rubber sheets in mint condition factory packed, available from a seller of Ukraina.    The rubber is still widely used with common folks here in EASTERN Europe..   The rubber comes from a china factory, I guess..
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 6:25am
I suspect the idea behind yearly fees is that they cover re-testing.  In theory, once a rubber is approved, without yearly testing it could change over time, but still bear the ITTF original stamp.  E.G. LPs could veer back to being friction-less, but there would be no mechanism in place to catch it.

Of course, this is speculation on my part, and I have no real idea if they are testing previously approved rubbers when receiving the next year's fees.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 9:59am
It's a good thought, but they already did random sample testing before they brought in the annual fees.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
juanma4080 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote juanma4080 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2018 at 10:33am
It’s all about... guess!!... Money!!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2018 at 12:51am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

technology changes

I am not sure whether these are valid reasons to de-list previously approved product. The item about sheets separation would make sense if ITTF approval is somehow related to quality assurance. 
so poor sales is not a reason? poor quality would be a manufacturers concern first, old and out dated technology and poor name choice, would be reason to pay money and leave on forever?
I think about deleting 10% each year of my range is normal as new popular products take over
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
fmarek View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fmarek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/22/2018 at 6:27am
I simply checked what does ITTF approval mean in general (by reading their published document). It is mainly about ensuring that product comply with ITTF law and specifications. Yes, product "supplier" is required to consistently produce product with the same qualities and pay annual fees. Removal from the list may be initiated by both parties but main reasons are - failures to pay annual fees or violation of spec.

so poor sales is not a reason? poor quality would be a manufacturers concern first, old and out dated technology and poor name choice, would be reason to pay money and leave on forever?

Poor sales on its own have nothing to do with ITTF approval but poor quality - yes. Now, imagine the situation that there is a fair bit of unsold stock remained on the marked for product which is perfectly matching ITTF spec and has that stamp imprinted. Company moved on, as you said, improved the production line and etc. So new product is taking over. Okay. I think it would make sense for old product still remain in some designated section of ITTF list, cause qualities of the older product are still compliant with the spec. Otherwise buyers like me would stay away from de-listed product even though it is still the same as before.

Also interesting section in the ITTF law:

New racket coverings should not be sold or distributed to any customers before all tests have been passed, the authorisation has been completed and the racket covering appears on the published LARC. If a racket covering is sold before it has passed all tests and appears on LARC, the authorisation will be void immediately. However, marketing activities such as promotion, advertisement etc. are allowed provided that the exact validity date is clearly indicated.

I know at least one new product selling with ITTF logo but not yet on the list Ermm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic